Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Talk to me about lifts...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-28-2015, 12:05 PM
zuman is a splendid one to beholdzuman is a splendid one to beholdzuman is a splendid one to beholdzuman is a splendid one to beholdzuman is a splendid one to beholdzuman is a splendid one to beholdzuman is a splendid one to beholdzuman is a splendid one to behold
Talk to me about lifts...

I followed (lustfully) the thread a couple of months ago in which a number of you posted pictures of the lifts you have in your garages.
I may never get one (but you never know...), but can you help me understand the advantages of the different types of lifts: single-post; two-post; four-post; scissor?
I find the "drive on" advantage of the four-post "runways" appealing, but I assume they're not very useful when working on wheels. And do the belly-pans of our cars negate the value of single-post lifts?
Can those of you who actually live with a lift tell me what you like and what you don't?
Thanks.

Old 03-28-2015, 08:36 PM
ncamv8 is a name known to allncamv8 is a name known to allncamv8 is a name known to allncamv8 is a name known to allncamv8 is a name known to allncamv8 is a name known to all
Hi,

I have a direct lift Pro 9000 that i have owned since 2009.

www.gregsmithequipment.com/Atlas-Garage-Pro-9-000"]http://www.gregsmithequipment.com/Atlas-Garage-Pro-9-000

I also bought two of the sliding jacks to lift the car off the ramps when you need to take the wheels off.

I'm very happy I purchased this as it makes any maintenance much easier. and the two up parking is sweet.

If you have the height in your garage to get one, I would recommend it. I like the four-post as it is more stable, and supports double decker parking.

Old 03-29-2015, 01:39 PM
Vantagelvr will become famous soon enoughVantagelvr will become famous soon enough
I bought a 4 post from the lift superstore mainly for storage but it sure comes in handy for working on the cars to . I even have a comfy office chair to scoot around on when Im underneath working .may as well be comfy right .
One thing that irks me is how heavy the bridge jack is and its hard to move on the rails as its diamond plate . it would be better if the running surface for the jack was smooth and had some kind of roller set up ...that would be awesome ..Maybe I will make something myself at some point .
Other than that Im very happy with it and the after sale phone service was good for helping setting it up at home .
if you do buy one have a day set aside and a couple of strong friends over for a garage day helping put it together some of the parts are extremely heavy .
Having some good jacks, axle stands and wood for supports for assembly will really help as well .
Another thing to consider is you will probably need to modify your garage door opener and rails as they may be in the way of the lift . I had to change the rails to make the door open as close to the ceiling as possible and change the door opener to a wall mounted direct drive instead of the regular suspended chain pull type .

Old 03-29-2015, 03:26 PM
dan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to all
Originally Posted by ncamv8
Hi,

I have a direct lift Pro 9000 that i have owned since 2009.

www.gregsmithequipment.com/Atlas-Garage-Pro-9-000"]http://www.gregsmithequipment.com/Atlas-Garage-Pro-9-000

I also bought two of the sliding jacks to lift the car off the ramps when you need to take the wheels off.

I'm very happy I purchased this as it makes any maintenance much easier. and the two up parking is sweet.

If you have the height in your garage to get one, I would recommend it. I like the four-post as it is more stable, and supports double decker parking.
+1 I have this lift and love it. No problem removing belly pans on my DB9.

Old 03-29-2015, 03:27 PM
CARAIBAM is a glorious beacon of lightCARAIBAM is a glorious beacon of lightCARAIBAM is a glorious beacon of lightCARAIBAM is a glorious beacon of lightCARAIBAM is a glorious beacon of light
At work we have two and four posts lifts and I found the 2 posts much more practical when working onnthe Aston.If you go this way make sure you get one with no junction on the ground between the posts but one with an electronic control leaving the ground under the lift free .

Old 03-29-2015, 06:06 PM
boxercupdave has a spectacular aura aboutboxercupdave has a spectacular aura about
With my clutch project coming up this summer I've being thinking about a lift also. I'm leaning towards a two post asymmetrical style so I have better access to opening doors. Thinking the 10,000lb one that I can use for storage underneath and can use on my truck and other cars as well.

I have a 30 x 30 barn with a concrete floor so I'll probably just have to cut tow holes and pour some thicker concrete where the posts would go.

Dave