Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Vantage S alignment assistance

Old 06-13-2015, 11:29 PM
Montana107 is on a distinguished road
Vantage S alignment assistance

I recently purchased a 2012 Vanatge S and have been doing some upgrades. I put on some H&R's and very disappointed with the ride results... But that is another story to be resolved.

I finally took it for an alignment today after lowering it a few weeks ago and had a very weird outcome. The least amount of camber I can get on my left rear is -4...!!! And the max negative I can get right is -2.5.. And no the car has not been wrecked or at least has zero signs of such.

I called a Aston tuner with no direction on a resolution. Are there any alignment experts that can provide some insight on a possible resolution?

Thanks in advance!

Old 06-13-2015, 11:37 PM

I thought a photo might be helpful

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	590.9 KB
ID:	422106  
Old 06-15-2015, 07:35 AM
AXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to behold
I can't help... but I think your car looks great.

Old 04-20-2016, 06:58 PM
impulsiv is a jewel in the roughimpulsiv is a jewel in the roughimpulsiv is a jewel in the rough
Any updates? I can't get more than -2.8 degrees of rear camber with VAP springs. That's about a full degree off the specified -1.75 degrees

Old 04-20-2016, 07:41 PM
Can you get an even -2.8 on each side?

Old 04-20-2016, 07:47 PM
impulsiv is a jewel in the roughimpulsiv is a jewel in the roughimpulsiv is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Montana107
Can you get an even -2.8 on each side?
Yes. I know it's even so not that dramatic, but I like it better when it's up to specs, which is not possible with this setup.

Old 04-20-2016, 08:15 PM
Understood

i have found with lowering most cars that you can't get exactly back to speck on camber and are typically more negative than stock. I have had the same results with BMW, Audi and Mercedes- unless there are camber correction kits for the cars there is typically no remedy-

I would be happy with your results!! I have installed a new Coilover suspension, uncovered a Vantage ride height issue and found the rear subframe to be a little off center. It will go back to the alignment shop soon and I hope for better results than my previous trip...

Old 04-21-2016, 07:37 AM
telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !
Suspension is all geometry - it's lengths and angles. If you shorten a length, you're affecting the angles associated with that length. Lowering the car shortens one length, and that affects an angle (camber).

I have installed a new Coilover suspension, uncovered a Vantage ride height issue and found the rear subframe to be a little off center.
Off center how?

Old 04-21-2016, 07:58 AM
Telum01

The bolts holding the steel subframe to the aluminum chassis have a small amount of play once loosened - I believe there are 6 bolts and it appears slightly off center - that could be causing the camber difference on my rear - Their appear to be guide pin mounts to align the rear subframe - we are going to play with this on the alignment rack to see if we can balance things out -

Old 04-21-2016, 09:57 AM
Understood

i have found with lowering most cars that you can't get exactly back to speck on camber and are typically more negative than stock. I have had the same results with BMW, Audi and Mercedes- unless there are camber correction kits for the cars there is typically no remedy-

I would be happy with your results!! I have installed a new Coilover suspension, uncovered a Vantage ride height issue and found the rear subframe to be a little off center. It will go back to the alignment shop soon and I hope for better results than my previous trip...
I have also lowered a bunch of cars and never had any problem getting them within specs. My Lotus Elise was particularly easy to adjust with shims.

It appears that the proper way to lower a Vantage is to install GT4's rear upper a-arms. They are adjustable. But they may be so expensive that I just don't want to know.

Old 04-21-2016, 10:36 AM
telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !
The Sports Pack has different arms, they might allow for more adjustment at a better price than the GT4 arms (I haven't looked into it myself, just noticed the different part numbers for the Sports Pack arms while looking at other stuff)

Old 04-21-2016, 01:39 PM
I have a Vantage S and don't believe there is additional camber adjustment on my upper arm

Old 04-21-2016, 07:47 PM
Originally Posted by telum01
The Sports Pack has different arms, they might allow for more adjustment at a better price than the GT4 arms (I haven't looked into it myself, just noticed the different part numbers for the Sports Pack arms while looking at other stuff)

I have the sport pack, I'm pretty sure they are the same. My guess is that the difference is bushings hardness.

Old 04-21-2016, 09:53 PM
sanengo is on a distinguished road
Would a set of eccentric camber bolts help? Worst case is realigning the subframe.

Old 04-22-2016, 04:23 AM
Sanengo -

You are spot on - Those are the next steps

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Vantage S alignment assistance