Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Tungsten silver or Onyx black

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-29-2015, 07:38 PM
georgemaser is a glorious beacon of lightgeorgemaser is a glorious beacon of lightgeorgemaser is a glorious beacon of lightgeorgemaser is a glorious beacon of lightgeorgemaser is a glorious beacon of light
Tungsten silver or Onyx black

I am about to pull the trigger on a Vantage V12S. I was a Porsche guy ( my DD is a panamera Turbo S) looking for a 911 turboS when the Porsche salesman brought me to there Aston store and had me drive the Vantage V12. I was blown away. I think I am going to pull the trigger on one as there are great lease specials going. I am not sure whether to get the Tungsten silver or Onyx black. I want to keep it as low key as possible in that type of car so I thought the black may be a little more understated as it's harder to notice the carbon fiber air vents on the hood. Any thoughts on which is a better/ more desired color ?

Old 06-29-2015, 07:50 PM
SandmanG500 is on a distinguished road
Good luck hiding from the crowd, whether black or not. You better off put silencers on....

Old 06-29-2015, 08:12 PM
Capt Vanquish is on a distinguished road
IMHO, tungsten! To me the curves of an Aston Martin disappear with the black. I've got an 04 Vanquish in Silver. It's a great color. In bright sun light it's silver. In indirect light it's grey and at night it's kind of an olive green. It's a BEAUTIFUL paint! Black is, black.

Old 06-29-2015, 09:09 PM
Batman-76 has a spectacular aura aboutBatman-76 has a spectacular aura aboutBatman-76 has a spectacular aura about
If you're looking for low key, black could be good

I have a V8 Vantage S in Nero black, and although I love the seamless transition from the carbon fiber to the body, I will admit that at times it looks a bit washed out when I see the car from the rear.

Don't get me wrong, it's gorgeous, sexy, and breathtaking... But the black hides a lot of contrast when it's not in the right light...

Old 06-29-2015, 09:15 PM
Prefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud of
Silver!!! I actually had paid $5,000 to refresh the black paint on a 928, spent twice a day polishing it to get the dust off... The next year another $5,000 to change it to burnt orange (the cars currently on ebay by another owner trying to get $30k). The silver colors shows the lines better and needs less detail baby sitting.

Old 06-29-2015, 09:38 PM
spf1410 has a spectacular aura aboutspf1410 has a spectacular aura about
My V8 is Tungsten, I absolutely love the color. It throws many different hues from metallic in the paint. Also, it's easy to care for, and therefore, easy to love! (unlike my 2nd ex-wife)

Old 06-30-2015, 01:43 AM
omegaSMP300 will become famous soon enough
Name:  image-1485644968.jpg
Views: 1067
Size:  660.5 KB

Here's my v8s. Tungsten really does change with the lighting and has a lot of depth.

Old 06-30-2015, 03:31 AM
RossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond repute
Aston have some of the best paint options out there. Onyx black is great (and no offense to the Onyx owners) but to me it doesn't show off how great the paint is. If you want black, check out Storm Black. It's black with red flakes in the paint and looks pretty mean on a Vantage.

Tungsten is gorgeous. I bought a Tungsten V8VS unseen and when it arrived I couldn't have been happier. The color changes in different light and is gorgeous. It also hides dirt and dust well where Onyx (or any black) is dirty as soon as you turn off the hose from washing it

For reference, I owned an Onyx V8V and a Tungsten V8VS.

Old 06-30-2015, 06:17 PM
Ron Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Capt Vanquish
IMHO, tungsten! To me the curves of an Aston Martin disappear with the black. I've got an 04 Vanquish in Silver. It's a great color. In bright sun light it's silver. In indirect light it's grey and at night it's kind of an olive green. It's a BEAUTIFUL paint! Black is, black.
A big +1
Ron

Old 07-01-2015, 02:51 PM
Speedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud of
A different opinion:

First, they're both gorgeous. If it's not going to be a daily driver, I'd say Onyx. My Vanquish S and my V8V are both Onyx (not planned that way btw). IMO, nothing looks as spectacular as black when it's clean (which is why I wouldn't choose it for a DD). I agree that black can hide the design details of some cars, but IMO the metallic flake in Onyx renders that a non-issue, and nothing has the mirror-like reflectivity of black.

The metal flakes in Onyx are multi-colored, with silver, blue/purple and maybe gold in it, and this makes it look different in different light. I prefer Onyx to Storm and Nero because the metallic flake in Onyx is more noticeable IMO, ensuring that the curves don't disappear, without ever being "too metallic." Tungsten is very metallic, maybe a little too much for my personal liking. Saying Onyx is just another black is like saying Tungsten is just another silver.

One more thing -- in the unfortunate event that you ever have to repair damage, Tungsten is likely to be harder to match perfectly.

Ultimately, they're both stunning colors -- hard to go wrong.

Old 07-01-2015, 03:23 PM
flinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to behold
Color, an easy subject for an opinion or two

AM offers a vast array of "silver" paint alternatives (50 shades of grey?). I am told, however, tungsten, year after year, is not only Aston's highest volume silver or grey, but their highest volume color overall.

This success, no doubt is aided and abetted by Aston's Fast Track program. Remember though, there are 6 other exterior colors currently on Fast Track, including 2 more silvers. Tungsten is not an easy winner.

Capt Vanquish (above) understands the value of silver in highlighting sheet metal curves. Auto designers (used to call themselves "stylists") use silver most of the time on properties they develop to make appearance surface decisions.

Another real plus of medium value silvers, they are very effective at hiding dirt, grime and my favorite, brake dust.

Old 07-01-2015, 06:38 PM
Prefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud of
My first vantage was tungsten, i did sp

Old 07-01-2015, 06:47 PM
XJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Prefurbia
My first vantage was tungsten, i did sp
Go on...

Old 07-01-2015, 08:55 PM
oldfool is on a distinguished road
Can't go wrong with either.

Old 07-03-2015, 04:44 AM
kensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud of
I think colors are car-specific. I've had several Mercedes SL's, two of them in black and they look stunning... the black brings out the low sleek looks and hides some of the awkward lines and high boot.

But most Astons don't have the problem of styling blemishes, and so their perfection should be emphasised. And for that, a choice of silver of all shades is the best match, more so because it is also traditionally linked to the model through J. Bond and the DB5, and successive models through the years.

I've rarely seen an Aston color I didn't like, but I personally would choose silver over any darker color.

As for the advantages of cleaning of one color over another, no-one should buy a car based on how it shows the dirt - Astons should always be immaculate no matter what shade they are.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Tungsten silver or Onyx black