Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

AM V12 Twin Turbo

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-30-2015, 02:01 PM
telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by anton28
Two things we are leaving out are the transmission and rear end. How strong are these components?
I've heard of a couple rear diffs going. I believe it was Bleen that broke his while launching, and I think Mikey lost one as well (or maybe it was a gear in his transmission).

Last edited by telum01; 06-30-2015 at 02:04 PM.
Old 06-30-2015, 02:18 PM
anton28 will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by telum01
I've heard of a couple rear diffs going. I believe it was Bleen that broke his while launching, and I think Mikey lost one as well (or maybe it was a gear in his transmission).
What cars? Vantage? Dbs/9?

Old 06-30-2015, 02:18 PM
MRY
MRY is on a distinguished road
So if I'm looking at your design correctly, airflow is coming from the turbos, into the central box, up into the wide flat plenum, then down through the intercoolers?

If that's correct, I'm seeing a number of fasteners within the wide flat plenum. Or is that plenum a two-piece unit (lower portion is one piece, it bolts on, then you bolt on the top half of the plenum)?

So installation would be:
1) bolt lower manifolds to intercooler cores
2) bolt those onto engine
3) install fuel injectors and rails
4) bolt central inlet box to lower plate of the upper plenum
5) bolt lower plate (with inlet box) to intercooler cores
6) install top half of upper plenum

Actually, the big dark box in the middle is a Screw/Lysholm type Compressor from Opcon.

Your understanding of the flow is correct. A turbo system would not need the supercharger in the middle, and would receive the compressed air from the tubing into the plenum for this system pictured, I would remove the supercharger, and tilt the Intercooler assemblies vertically by rotating inward and making a plenum in the middle to replace the supercharger pictured.

The plenum is two piece, with the top cover to be made of Accura Bluestone, a nano-composite thermoplastic to save weight. (The intercooler end tanks are also going to be made from this material. Though the actual cores are AL) The flat plate with the opening for the supercharger with the bolts is to be made of 6061T6 AL (heat treated Aluminum) as it is a structural member that will support the supercharger.

Everything is like Lego blocks, the bottom plate mounts to the heads, and everything stacks on top of that. I designed it to be assembled in four steps.

1. Lower assembly of base plate and port runners with Intercooler outlet manifolds

2. Intercoolers attached to the IC outlet manifolds

3. Supercharger to the mounting plate

4. Top cover bolts to the assembly

Fuel lines and sensors are installed to the sub assemblies in steps 1-4, and all fittings are AN threaded for oil/water/petrol etc.

Hope that helps

Old 06-30-2015, 02:25 PM
cret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond repute
What cars? Vantage? Dbs/9?
Both were V8V. ASM1 and ASM2

Old 06-30-2015, 02:34 PM
MRY
Originally Posted by AMV12V
This is what I like to see. I'm owned turbo cars for 10+ years and have been racing and building custom turbo parts since I could remember. Compression isn't that big of a problem on the AM11. I ran 25psi (93 Oct) and 38psi (E85) on a Dynamic Compression of 10.5:1 on my last car with a HTA3586 (a bit larger than the 3582 you mentioned). Dynamic compression is the important number, not static compression. MRY is very much correct in the fact that flow, chamber design, port design and even CAMs change the way dynamic compression is measured/effects performance. Just because a car has a static compression (piston) of 9.5:1 doesn't mean the REAL compression is actually that. I don't care about static compression.

A MoTec ECU should be able to run the AM11. I'm not a MoTec guy, I've done mostly OpenSource, AEM, or ProEFI so someone this a vast amount of experience with MoTec would better be able to explain the load/cells/inputs it can handle. If there were to be a Twin Turbo setup built, I would 100% say stand alone, not piggy back or flash/opensource. Also, I know the AM11 doesn't have a knock sensor on the Vantage pre S. I don't know much about the DB9/DBS in that regard, but assuming the same is true. Some will tell you running a turbo car without a knock sensor is asking for trouble, but its been done for decades (safely) before knock sensors were ever introduced. A good tuner can identify Ping/Det while tuning without a knock sensor.

Talking about IC issues. There are a few different options, and it is possible to not have a IC and be totally fine. Look at the old DSMs, they never had a FMIC from the factory and I can name a lot of other cars too that are setup in the same manner. If boost pressure doesn't go very high, you can get away without an intercooler because the compressed air isn't dangerously high. Now this may not be preferred, but it is possible. The larger the turbo the more efficient it will be and less need for a robust cooling system. Go look up Under Ground Racing if you haven't heard of them. They do twin turbo kits for Ferrari/Lambo. Those are V8/V10 and low boost they can make 700+whp with ease, but they do incorporate an air to water IC. They use PTE turbos, mostly 6262s and make that power on low boost. I would much rather do conventional tank Air to Water setup than a plenum intercooler setup. Engines get hot and you are practically making a top mount IC setup and the transient heat that transfers from the head to the IC would be undesired even with water - I wouldn't personally want this setup. 1) Water once it gets hot is very hard to cool down. 2) This is likely the most expensive setup in terms of cooling. I think a low boost twin 3586 or 3794 might be able to get away with no intercooler and easily make 700+whp. If IAT raise above the threshold, water injection would be the simplest form of cooling and only cost a few hundred bucks.

The weak point for the AM11 would be Rods then Pistons. I would do a simple Rod/Piston drop in or motor refresh with larger bearings (always a good idea with turbo cars to help with increased bearing loads). The head has a lot of work that can be done and pairing that with a set of custom high lift/duration/ramp rate cams, you could get an easy 50-75+ hp just from the head work (depending on how crazy you get, but I would max out the VE of the head on a flow bench). It is good/safe horsepower and will actually help you run more boost safely on a turbo setup than the stock head/cams. Long story short, I personally believe that 700whp is easily achievable without a lot of special work pending the ECU/injectors can be solved.

I should probably go back to work.

Mike
Thanks Mike,

I agree with many of your points. The heat soak can be addressed with timing the AWIC pump runtime, and using composite materials. You can also calculate the thermal reserve capacity of water, and see how much energy you will need it to store before sizing the tank and the radiator for the AWIC system.. (I had a long discussion with Laminova Engineering about this, and the WRC cars that use their coolers have no problems if the thing is properly engineered.) But, all good concerns.

I agree with you on the many things, and the cam timing is especially important, as you mentioned, and I'm also trying to convey, the dynamic compression can be used to engineer the system limitations etc.

For the others:

On another note, the cam timing and piston position play an important part in engineering for peak cylinder pressure. Due to timing of the flame front and ignition and valve timing, you can engineer the system to have not much more peak pressure, but much higher average cylinder pressure which is what you are after.

Rods do not fail in compression unless detonation is an issue. They usually fail in tension, and this is mostly RPM related. The bearings, pins, crank etc all see the same peak pressure, and that transition from peak to trough is what causes cyclical failure. In addition, the positive pressure charge entering the chamber while the piston is on the way up will serve as a cushion and put the rod in compression while the piston is going to TDC, and this saves rods rather than in an N/A motor where the piston is not cushioned from the incoming air charge..

Anyway, I digress..

Old 06-30-2015, 02:36 PM
AMV12V is on a distinguished road
Phenolic spacers can help solve this problem. Spacer thickness needs to be taken into account while designing the new manifolds. I ran them on my STi and they made a noticeable difference in intake manifold temps by preventing heat soak from engine to manifold. Thickness for those runs 3mm or 8mm (TMIC or FMIC, respectively, for fitment), but since this would be a custom application, any thickness can be spec'd to fit the design.

Also consider ceramic coating the manifolds to prevent under-hood temps from heating the manifolds. If possible, coat the outsides of the intercooler cores - lots of people use coating or heat-shielding tape. Coating would give a more OEM look as the tape is rather obvious.
Yep, the Phenolic spacers help stop the metal/metal heat transfer and is def an option with this type of cooler setup. I used to manage a STI/EVO performance shop, I've done quite a few builds with Phenolic spacers. I actually had one on my drag car. I've also seen a lot of issues due to the spacers, but if boost was kept low, like it would most likely be on the Aston, it would be a big help and shouldn't create issues.

Is there enough space to run piping for a twin chamber FMIC like the GTRs use?

Old 06-30-2015, 02:41 PM
telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !
For the ECU, maybe reach out to rmrmd1956. He did a ton of digging into the ECU of his V8V to supercharge it. He might have some good info to get things rolling in that regard.
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/member.php?u=447

Old 06-30-2015, 02:42 PM
MRY
I guess the next big issue would be, what is the point of 700+whp car if you can't get any traction? I doubt you would have traction with 305-315R compound tires even in 3rd. I mean it would be sick to say you have a twin charge V12 but sad to see a Honda Civic beat you to 100mph. I'm going to try and stuff the largest tire I can in the rear without modifications and it looks like the largest may be 315s. Maybe with some minor modifications we may be able to get a 345 under the rear fender? I just have no idea...

I'm definitely interested in this project. I'm new to the Aston so I'm still learning.

Mike
Traction is not an issue if the system is properly programmed. For example, I have driven a Ferrari F12 from 0-200mph+ on many occasions, and if a stock Civic is faster at any speed, I will run out tomorrow and buy that Civic. But, I know that is not going to happen.

As I mentioned in another post, I have also driven an AMG CL65 Renntech TT 0 to 200 mph, and with the ASR on, it is fine. The F12 has better traction control algorithms in my opinion... The CL65 is also a twin turbo unit, and has about 800 at the crank.. No sweat, runs all day long with A/C in summer.
The F12 had 3xx series Pirellis, and with the traction on in Race setting on the manettino, no spin and great flat shifts...

By the way, I currently have 295 series Michelins on the rear of my DB9, and there is space for a 3XX series. I have to get it on the lift and measure a bit, and I will be able to tell what is the max I can fit without rubbing.

Old 06-30-2015, 02:44 PM
MRY
MRY i love the idea of the top mount inter-cooler set up built in to the intake manifold but im having a hard time imagining of what you are describing. Maybe a quick pencil sketch?
I will try to sketch one for you and post it here.. It might be a day or two, but i will do what I can..

Old 06-30-2015, 02:58 PM
Originally Posted by MRY
Thanks Mike,

I agree with many of your points. The heat soak can be addressed with timing the AWIC pump runtime, and using composite materials. You can also calculate the thermal reserve capacity of water, and see how much energy you will need it to store before sizing the tank and the radiator for the AWIC system.. (I had a long discussion with Laminova Engineering about this, and the WRC cars that use their coolers have no problems if the thing is properly engineered.) But, all good concerns.

I agree with you on the many things, and the cam timing is especially important, as you mentioned, and I'm also trying to convey, the dynamic compression can be used to engineer the system limitations etc.

For the others:

On another note, the cam timing and piston position play an important part in engineering for peak cylinder pressure. Due to timing of the flame front and ignition and valve timing, you can engineer the system to have not much more peak pressure, but much higher average cylinder pressure which is what you are after.

Rods do not fail in compression unless detonation is an issue. They usually fail in tension, and this is mostly RPM related. The bearings, pins, crank etc all see the same peak pressure, and that transition from peak to trough is what causes cyclical failure. In addition, the positive pressure charge entering the chamber while the piston is on the way up will serve as a cushion and put the rod in compression while the piston is going to TDC, and this saves rods rather than in an N/A motor where the piston is not cushioned from the incoming air charge..

Anyway, I digress..
I guess my big "dislike" is the amount of money and engineering that would go into this design (although it is sweet), wouldn't be necessary unless looking to go big power. Correct me if I'm wrong. I think it would be better to meth/water inject or do a FMIC. You will have more lag with a FMIC due to pressure loss in the piping etc, but with a V12 I'm not sure that it would make that huge of a difference. We aren't dealing with a 2.0L 4 banger. But if there isn't room for a FMIC then I'm all about this design.

Agree on the timing/cylinder pressure. Usually 1* of timing = 3x cylinder pressure increase to that of 1lbs of boost. Timing is what breaks a motor a lot of times, or RPM like you stated stretching rod bolts under tension. Timing also raises the head or puts a hole between two cylinders. I have no problem with boost!!! I ran 600whp on my stock EVO motor simply due to proper timing control which also allows you to keep tq low at peak boost and add timing above that to keep a flat curve. HP doesn't break parts, tq does and tq is relative to timing/cylinder pressure more so than boost. I've heard that the V12 top ring/land area will likely fail under increase temp. I wouldn't want to run stock internals on a turbo V12.

Old 06-30-2015, 03:00 PM
MRY
Two things we are leaving out are the transmission and rear end. How strong are these components?
The transmission/rear end will be a very important point to consider as well as the clutches..

The automatic (ZF 6HP-26) can take tons of abuse, it's used in the Bentley Turbos, and is also used in the european Audi RS6 V10 TT (Same as Lamborghini & R8V10 but turbocharged from the factory). MTM in europe has gotten 700+ hp out of this engine with the stock transmission and it usually survives intact all day long running on the Autobahn.

The manual should be fine, but I would check with Graziano to be sure what they say. The same for the rear end, as Graziano makes those. Usually, is the bearings and shafts are good, things will be ok. Clutches can always be upgraded as needed.

With all that said, the issue will be how you drive the vehicle. If you abuse it, it will probably either kill you, or the car will be destroyed. 1000HP cars are nothing to joke with, things start happening very quickly, and they are very easy to crash if you cannot drive them properly.. Driver training helps here, so does a good DE etc..

Old 06-30-2015, 03:03 PM
MRY
For the ECU, maybe reach out to rmrmd1956. He did a ton of digging into the ECU of his V8V to supercharge it. He might have some good info to get things rolling in that regard.
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/member.php?u=447
He is the one that told me Stuart at Velocity AP can tune the V12 ECU. I have not confirmed...

Old 06-30-2015, 03:04 PM
Originally Posted by MRY
Traction is not an issue if the system is properly programmed. For example, I have driven a Ferrari F12 from 0-200mph+ on many occasions, and if a stock Civic is faster at any speed, I will run out tomorrow and buy that Civic. But, I know that is not going to happen.

As I mentioned in another post, I have also driven an AMG CL65 Renntech TT 0 to 200 mph, and with the ASR on, it is fine. The F12 has better traction control algorithms in my opinion... The CL65 is also a twin turbo unit, and has about 800 at the crank.. No sweat, runs all day long with A/C in summer.
The F12 had 3xx series Pirellis, and with the traction on in Race setting on the manettino, no spin and great flat shifts...

By the way, I currently have 295 series Michelins on the rear of my DB9, and there is space for a 3XX series. I have to get it on the lift and measure a bit, and I will be able to tell what is the max I can fit without rubbing.
The F12 doesn't have VTEC, Civic will always win... lol

What would be awesome is to control boost by gear/rpm to aid in traction control.

Old 06-30-2015, 03:12 PM
MRY
I guess my big "dislike" is the amount of money and engineering that would go into this design (although it is sweet), wouldn't be necessary unless looking to go big power. Correct me if I'm wrong. I think it would be better to meth/water inject or do a FMIC. You will have more lag with a FMIC due to pressure loss in the piping etc, but with a V12 I'm not sure that it would make that huge of a difference. We aren't dealing with a 2.0L 4 banger. But if there isn't room for a FMIC then I'm all about this design.

Agree on the timing/cylinder pressure. Usually 1* of timing = 3x cylinder pressure increase to that of 1lbs of boost. Timing is what breaks a motor a lot of times, or RPM like you stated stretching rod bolts under tension. Timing also raises the head or puts a hole between two cylinders. I have no problem with boost!!! I ran 600whp on my stock EVO motor simply due to proper timing control which also allows you to keep tq low at peak boost and add timing above that to keep a flat curve. HP doesn't break parts, tq does and tq is relative to timing/cylinder pressure more so than boost. I've heard that the V12 top ring/land area will likely fail under increase temp. I wouldn't want to run stock internals on a turbo V12.
I did not discuss what this costs to do properly.. In the old addage, if you have to ask........ I'm not trying to be rude, but this is extremely expensive in the least. To do properly, add some more to the original bill..

The internals are fine.. It all goes back to peak cylinder pressure. Of course, for an all out race motor, we could have Chambon cut a crankshaft, get some CP or JE pistons with gas ports, thick top ring land, DLC lots of things, and get new cams made to match.. That would be on an entirely new level, and be insanely expensive. Think Le Mans car territory...

If a CL 65 AMG can be reliable to 800HP, then the Aston V12 will also be fine. Hell, the 177 made 750HP and is based on the same architecture. The pistons and rods will be more harmed by peak cylinder pressure and by RPM than everything else.

You might have to deal with blowby and crankcase breathing evac, but that is solvable as well. I have not dug into this as yet, so I don't know. However, If the car had a dry sump like the V8V, then that would help. Nothing says it's impossible to put one on, or at least an air-oil separator breather of some sort..

Oooops, I have to get back to work.. Business calls..

Cheers!

Old 06-30-2015, 03:18 PM
Originally Posted by MRY

You might have to deal with blowby and crankcase breathing evac, but that is solvable as well. I have not dug into this as yet, so I don't know. However, If the car had a dry sump like the V8V, then that would help. Nothing says it's impossible to put one on, or at least an air-oil separator breather of some sort..
If I remember correctly, the V12 has two AOSs in the V under the intake manifold. They'd be easy enough to relocate if you're pulling everything else out. I can get those fabbed up for you (they'd be the same internally-baffled units sold through Stuart, but with the brackets and in/outlets customized to suit whichever cars you're putting them on).

Last edited by telum01; 07-01-2015 at 06:43 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: AM V12 Twin Turbo