Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Track Day - Expectations for Pre/ Post costs

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-16-2015, 01:54 PM
mindscape9 is a name known to allmindscape9 is a name known to allmindscape9 is a name known to allmindscape9 is a name known to allmindscape9 is a name known to allmindscape9 is a name known to all
To everyone that responded, thanks so much! This is why I love this forum - so much good information, given in a genuine way. I was a little apprehensive about taking the car out on the track, but after reading all the advice here, I feel a lot more confident that it is going to be an awesome experience and am itching to get our there!

A couple of follow-ups from my end:
  • I reached out to the organizers (Motorcars of GA) to get some details about the track insurance, but haven't heard back yet. Will update you guys when I do.
  • I currently have my car wrapped with PPF so it should be well protected. That being said, if the tracwrap is that cheap, it might be worth doing a slapdash DIY job of putting some on top of the ppf to protect the professional quality work that is already on the car. Anyone have any experience with this? could track tape also serve this purpose?
  • Helmets - they rent helmets at the track...I am assuming that would suffice, especially since i dont plan on being out there every weekend or anything. Any compelling reason to buy one instead?
  • Thanks for the tips on what to do AFTER the track experience is over to maintain good maintenance and keep things in working order. Never would have thought to leave the p-brake off.

Old 07-16-2015, 02:07 PM
telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !
Don't worry about buying a helmet unless you plan to do more track days. The only reason it'd be a concern in your situation is if they have a limited number and run out before you get yours, but I've yet to see that happen at any track day I've been to (knock on wood). I bought a basic full-face helmet for ~$400 last year.

Old 07-16-2015, 03:19 PM
DonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant future
I don't know how well each facility cleans/disinfects their helmet rentals after use: If you decide to rent a helmet, you may want to purchase your own cotton balaclava ($10 or less), depending on how "fastidious" you are.

I have my own helmet and balaclavas, so no concerns .

Post track day: Don't forget to check your tire pressures when you get home...depending on what you do at the track day, you may have the incorrect pressures for street driving; and check your oil level as well...

Old 07-16-2015, 04:06 PM
007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of
You can get a cheap open face for $150-250. That's all you need for tracking a car. I prefer open face as they are less claustrophobic and easier to breath & see out of.

Old 07-16-2015, 04:31 PM
bluebarchetta is a glorious beacon of lightbluebarchetta is a glorious beacon of lightbluebarchetta is a glorious beacon of lightbluebarchetta is a glorious beacon of lightbluebarchetta is a glorious beacon of lightbluebarchetta is a glorious beacon of light
If you rent a helmet, definitely balaclava. And fireproof ones are not that expensive.

When/if you ever buy a helmet, try it on first. Don't just order online. Fitment is very important and personal.

I have a good full face, that can be found for less than $200. So you don't have to buy Stilo to start

Old 07-16-2015, 05:03 PM
spikemd is just really nicespikemd is just really nicespikemd is just really nicespikemd is just really nice
Originally Posted by bluebarchetta
If you rent a helmet, definitely balaclava. And fireproof ones are not that expensive.

When/if you ever buy a helmet, try it on first. Don't just order online. Fitment is very important and personal.

I have a good full face, that can be found for less than $200. So you don't have to buy Stilo to start

Very true. Helmets vary substantially in how they fit and need to be tried on. Probably don't need to buy a helmet if you don't plan on more track days, but I warn you... it is addicting!

If you decide to buy a helmet, be sure you get an auto racing helmet not a motorcycle helmet. The auto helmets are rated for fire safety while motorcycle helmets are not.

If the event is classified as a 'high performance driving school' then I believe your regular insurance will cover an accident. Just be careful while driving. Most places where you will lose control have adequate run off to minimize damage.

Have fun!

Old 07-16-2015, 05:12 PM
Old phart is a jewel in the roughOld phart is a jewel in the roughOld phart is a jewel in the roughOld phart is a jewel in the rough
Gloves?

I had some Simpson racing gloves from my motorcycle days. Don't know if I really needed them but helped put me in the groove

Had a couple GoPro's when I went. I've got a Volante and drove with the top down Had one center on the boot. Nice but would have prefered to see more of the road. Had one on the side of my helmet too and that one came out really nice. Had a friend in a BMW and he tried his in a couple different places ahead of time to see which was the best view.

They took some stills at the track from different corners and such. Not cheap but I bought a couple anyway. Wasn't sure if I'd ever be back.

Also be careful on the way home. I was still pumped from the track and had to cool down a bit

Met a lot of other first timers in all sorts of cars. You'll have a blast!

Can't wait to hear the after.

Old 07-16-2015, 05:21 PM
XJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by spikemd

If the event is classified as a 'high performance driving school' then I believe your regular insurance will cover an accident.
Highly unlikely. This use to be the case, but that loophole has been closed by insurance companies.

Old 07-16-2015, 07:40 PM
DonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by XJRS Owner
Highly unlikely. This use to be the case, but that loophole has been closed by insurance companies.
State Farm rewrote my policy a couple of years ago to exclude HPDE events.
Last I heard, Farmers still allowed coverage at HPDE events, but that my have changed since then.
In any event, enjoy .

Old 07-17-2015, 10:45 AM
mindscape9 is a name known to allmindscape9 is a name known to allmindscape9 is a name known to allmindscape9 is a name known to allmindscape9 is a name known to allmindscape9 is a name known to all
I checked with my insurance company and the sponsors on the insurance front.

My insurance company (Travelers) does not cover anything that happens on a racing surface and the track day insurance does not cover any car damage/ medical, etc.

Unfortunately, I can't absorb a 6 figure hit if anything were to go terribly wrong, so I'll look into some 3rd party insurers that might provide coverage for a one day event.

Of course, any recommendations/experiences are appreciated!

Old 07-17-2015, 11:31 AM
XJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond repute
See Locktons, linked above.

Old 07-17-2015, 11:52 AM
Another Insurance Option

I've no experience/affiliation with the firm below:

https colon //ontrackinsurance dot com

Old 07-17-2015, 02:34 PM
Originally Posted by XJRS Owner
See Locktons, linked above.
Thanks, guys. I contacted Locktons and they are not able to provide insurance for this event since the sponsor isn't registered with them. Motorcars of Ga is (I think) looking into some 3rd party insurers as well, so maybe they can work something out with someone if a few people are buying.

Anyone ever track without insurance?

Old 07-17-2015, 04:01 PM
cret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond repute
How many participants are in your run group and what do they drive. How big is the track?

Old 07-19-2015, 03:57 PM
The event is being held at Atlanta Motorsports Park which is a 2 mile, F1 style track.

I talked with the sponsor yesterday and it looks like it will be about 30-35 cars organized in groups of 6-8 based on driving skill/ car type. There will be a variety of cars out there - Lamborghini, McLaren, AM, Lotus and maybe some others (Porsche, Audi, etc).

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Track Day - Expectations for Pre/ Post costs