Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Audi R8 v10 vs. AM V12S -- help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-15-2015, 08:34 AM
jmargolese will become famous soon enoughjmargolese will become famous soon enough
Audi R8 v10 vs. AM V12S -- help

I am starting to think about my next purchase and think I have it down to the R8 or the V12. Overall I love the feel and sound of N/A engines and want something beefier with more torque. I think both cars satisfy this criteria albeit in different ways.

My criteria for the next one in no order.

- styling has to be superb and a head turner without the lambo gawkiness
- drivability is key on the normal roads
- occasional track use, maybe 1-2 times per year because what the hell, it's a GT car and belongs on the track once in a while

Pretty basic stuff... Both cars are about to undergo a model change in the next two years which I think will drop the prices in the next 6 months, both are going for about $150k on th used market right now. I think early next year I can get either for 135-140k.

Let the fun begin. Thoughts on either, anyone owned both? Anything else to consider besides Ferrari and Lambo?

Old 08-15-2015, 12:31 PM
XJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond repute
R8 ?? You gotta be kidding comparing an Audi to any AM V12. A soulless blob meant for the masses. It may very well be a terrific car, but that doesn't make it a terrific car.

Old 08-15-2015, 05:27 PM
georgemaser is a glorious beacon of lightgeorgemaser is a glorious beacon of lightgeorgemaser is a glorious beacon of lightgeorgemaser is a glorious beacon of lightgeorgemaser is a glorious beacon of light
I went through the same thing. I thought maybe the R8 would work for me. My neighbor had just got a Lamborghini, but I didn't want to spend that kind of money or the attention. I thought the R8 was the next best thing ( same engine and cheaper). Then I was shown the Vantage V12S by a Porsche salesman ( they had an Aston dealership too) and fell in love. It is more understated, more classy looking then the R8 ( the blade is kind of Iron Man cheesy). I have had the car for 4 days and love it. As a matter of fact my neighbors ( one the one which has the Lamborghini and the other with a Porsche GT3 ) were very impressed as well. Good luck with your decision. Enjoy the chase. By the way, the lease prices on the Astons are great.

Old 08-15-2015, 09:34 PM
V12Vin is on a distinguished road
I was in the market for a V12V, couldn't find a decent one. Had the V12VS for a day and decided to go with the R8 V10.

And I am the last person (at least according to my car pals) to get an Audi.

The V12VS is an amazing car especially the exhaust note and the interior. Sure, R8 pales comparing to the AM but...the V10 is no slouch either. I have tracked my R8 more than when I owned my V8 AMs. Granted...I have yet to take the V12Vs to the track.

And the other reality is the residual. I feel that even if I dip into R8 for just a few months, I won't lose a lot of $$ when I sell it. The R8 V10 used market is quite solid.

To go with the AM's power, beauty and soul, you have to be ready to take a serious hit on the residual. AM practically cannibalizes its own market when they offered the $99k AMV8 and now this Ally lease deal. Not to mention $30k off MSRP on some of the 2015 models.

I will probably get a V12Vs at some pt. But just not so soon.

As for daily driving, both are good. As for grabbing attention, I reckon women tend to look at the AM more. Kids love the R8. Track wise, I will take the R8 any time. Oh, and the insurance is cheaper for the R8.

Old 08-16-2015, 09:18 AM
007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of
Having owned multiple Lambos, and driven every R8 there is to drive... You are comparing apples and oranges. The Aston V12S is on a different level in every way.

Yes the Audi R8 is a great car, nobody is knocking it for what it is. Yes it will probably hold its resale value a bit better, and it probably is the more logical choice. The V10 is a fantastic motor... In fact I would argue it's the best V10 motor ever produced in history, but its no V12

If you can get the V12S for sub $150k it won't lose too much more from there. The base on the V12 market right now is about $110k so the newest V12S may lose another 10-15k from here but honestly who cares, it will be the best $10-15k you ever spent... And I promise it will be cheaper than any woman in the long run

My vote V12S hands down

Old 08-16-2015, 11:12 AM
telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !
I think both can meet your needs but they're very different in how they do it. Maybe a pro/con list, or point-by-point comparison can help with this.

Looks:
An Aston will always look better than an Audi TT. I mean, R8.

Sound:
The Aston V12 sound is ungodly good.

Power:
Both are fast. You're either splitting hairs or racing if there's going to be a difference that matters between the two.

Transmission:
R8 wins. Pretty sure the V12VS transmission topic has been beaten to death. This might play into normal-road drivability. I've only driven one ASM car, and it was a V8VS. I had no issues with it in normal driving (or spirited driving, for that matter).

Non-Lambo gawkiness:
Either is good. Everyone loves looking at an Aston and only the truly petty will give you any negative attitude (I've met one couple that did that - and they were the most overall negative people I've ever met, everyone else loves seeing an Aston). Meanwhile, the R8 looks enough like any other Audi that it's just a cooler version of a traditionally understated marque.

Depreciation:
I'm going to assume the R8 will hold its value a little better but that's just a guess based on just about all Astons dropping in value.

For me, I'd go with the V12VS. The R8 has never really done anything for me. Cool car, but just not interesting enough for me. Don't get me wrong - they're great cars and I have nothing against them. But for me personally, if I'm spending that much of my hard-earned cash I'd want something that tickles my unmentionables every time I see it. The R8 has never done that for me. Not even yesterday:

Name:  11907761_10205205004669959_7447477907357888692_o.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  141.4 KB

Crappy lighting, I know. The silver car behind the black R8 V10 is an R8 V8.

Last edited by telum01; 08-16-2015 at 12:39 PM.
Old 08-16-2015, 12:18 PM
ohTHATeric is on a distinguished road
When I was planning to purchase a car about three years ago, I cross-shopped the R8, McLaren MP4 (bit too expensive at the time but I was curious about the car) an AM V8V, and a used AM DBS. A dealer about 2 hours away had all four cars and lined up a test drive of each.

I brought along a friend who was into cars and the entire drive to the dealership he talked non-stop about how the R8 was *THE* car to get.

We pulled into the parking lot and there are all four lined up. My friend hops out, looks at all of them for about 10 seconds, turns to me and says, "You're insane if you don't buy the Aston right now." I bought the Aston V8V. A year later I got the V12V.

All the cars were awesome but the Aston was something special.

Old 08-16-2015, 01:37 PM
larryg is on a distinguished road
Having just purchased a new R8 (V8/MT) and new V8V (MT) I can certainly comment on the issue. Both are essentially hand built, low production, similarly priced sports cars. I own both due to the fact that they are so completely different. So different in fact that it is difficult to compare them. Calling an R8 a "soulless blob for the masses" is simply unfair.
What a problem; V10 R8 or V12 Vantage!!

Old 08-16-2015, 01:55 PM
RossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by telum01
Sound:
The Aston V12 sound is ungodly good.
The R8 V10 sounds very good and I'd argue it's as good as the Aston. It's different but it screams!

Another thing I'd throw in. The V12S can be purchased with a manual. I see that as a nice pro to the R8 which I don't think has a manual option anymore but am not sure.

Old 08-16-2015, 02:15 PM
larryg is on a distinguished road
All Generation 1 R8s (V8 and V10) offer a manual transmission. The generation 2 cars will be released in North America later this year. All will be V10s with automatic transmissions. No manual will be offered.

Old 08-16-2015, 03:29 PM
dsvantage is on a distinguished road
I've been an Audi driver on and off all of my life (I learned on a 1987 Audi 4000s manual). I currently have an A4 wagon as a family/dog car, and I researched and drove the R8 before ultimately buying the V8 Vantage.

There are definitely some pros to the Audi:
- the resale value is much better
- dealers are everywhere
- interior ergonomics are better, e.g. volume roller on steering wheel
- better fit and finish

However there were some things I didn't like:
- $15-20k more than a V8 Vantage for the same model year
- single clutch on the early models
- the V10 had to been driven like you stole it (felt very underwhelming under 4,000 RPM)
- the convertible roofline is terrible when up

Of course I could be happy with either car, but I'm not into the track and the Aston is just more beautiful and will probably age better. It's also more rare, and I like having a car that you almost never see. That said, the R8 is a bad-*** car, so follow your heart. Since you have a Vantage already, maybe try the Audi for a change of pace.

Old 08-16-2015, 11:10 PM
maroli will become famous soon enoughmaroli will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by 007 Vantage
The V10 is a fantastic motor... In fact I would argue it's the best V10 motor ever produced in history, but its no V12
The Carrera GT and the LFA would like to have a word with you.

To the OP, you're in an aston forum so you're going to get people who like Astons. As noted, both cars have their plus points, it's just about which plus points appeal to you more.

Old 08-16-2015, 11:17 PM
No32 is a glorious beacon of lightNo32 is a glorious beacon of lightNo32 is a glorious beacon of lightNo32 is a glorious beacon of lightNo32 is a glorious beacon of lightNo32 is a glorious beacon of light
AM v12

Old 08-17-2015, 04:48 AM
kensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud of
I've never heard anyone say they've always wanted an R8 since they were a kid.

Old 08-17-2015, 06:47 AM
007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by maroli
The Carrera GT and the LFA would like to have a word with you.

To the OP, you're in an aston forum so you're going to get people who like Astons. As noted, both cars have their plus points, it's just about which plus points appeal to you more.
I have driven both. I hated the Carrera GT, the LFA did not feel as fast. Yes they both sound great, but as a performance engine with usable power, the LP Lambo V10 still reigns king... Trust me.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Audi R8 v10 vs. AM V12S -- help