Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

total maintenance & repairs per years

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-27-2015, 09:05 AM
evermore is on a distinguished road
Question total maintenance & repairs per years

Cheers everyone and congratulations on the wonderful cars you own. I am presently in the market for a 2007-2010 Vantage V8 (automatic) and I am trying to tally up what the worst case scenario costs of owning the car may be. I have found a wonderful example with a meticulous owner that has kept a detailed record of all the maintenance and repairs on the car. While everything in the first year (2007) was covered by warranty, his total costs in the 7 years since have been $35750, or about $5100 a year.

Is this typical? Figure in another $3000 in insurance a year) makes this a rather expensive endeavor...

Old 08-27-2015, 09:08 AM
mkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud of
That sounds rather high, unless you count in tire change, brake change, and (most importantly) clutch change.

There are unexpected repair items, and most of them are rather expensive. But clutch change aside, yearly service are really not that terrible. Maybe half if not less of that 5k figure you arrived at.

Old 08-27-2015, 09:12 AM
I see one instance of rear brake pads replaced and one rotor but no clutch (it's an automatic). The annual services range up $2200

An extended warranty doesnt cover regular maintenance so that's not really a good alternative..

Old 08-27-2015, 09:15 AM
mkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud of
the vantage is a computer controlled manual transmission, and it indeed has a clutch and it costs anywhere from 5 - 10k for a clutch change depends on where you go.

You also have to keep in mind that a lot those big ticket repairs on these cars, are a one time only expense.

Old 08-27-2015, 12:57 PM
Jimmy Macintosh is on a distinguished road
I'm averaging about $2000 a year over the last 3 years. That has included a new set of tires and a replacement of a couple of secondary air injection valves (different years). I'm expecting new brakes this time but am still expecting about a total of $2000 this year. I have an indie garage service her though.

Old 08-27-2015, 01:25 PM
Korntera has a spectacular aura aboutKorntera has a spectacular aura aboutKorntera has a spectacular aura about
$35K in maintenance and repairs? What the heck!
I have only had mine a while but its an 07, had the original tires on it and that was $1,400 to replace, plus i did new front rotors and pads(not because they were needed but because I wanted a better track setup and im picky) and that was around $1,200
Insurance for me is only around $900 a year for full coverage with multi policy discount etc and im 31 with no tickets or accidents.

If the car you are looking at is over 25K miles and not had a clutch, plan on spending $7k for a new clutch soon, its the reason I bought a manual and not an automatic.

I can't imagine $5,100 per year in maintenance and repairs on an 07 unless it had 60K miles and has gone through two clutches or they are just paying the worlds most expensive service rates.

Old 08-27-2015, 01:28 PM
spikemd is just really nicespikemd is just really nicespikemd is just really nicespikemd is just really nice
$36K for repairs? That is incredibly high. There must be some big ticket items that went wrong, check the records again. And you would never just change one rotor, its always done in pairs.

Was it being serviced at Los Gatos?

Old 08-27-2015, 01:44 PM
cret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Korntera
... plus i did new front rotors and pads(not because they were needed but because I wanted a better track setup and im picky) and that was around $1,200 ...
Which rotors and pads did you get?

Old 08-27-2015, 05:44 PM
yvr
yvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud of
Evermore, don't be fooled -- there's no such thing as an automatic Vantage. You're looking at a SportShift model which is an automated manual with a clutch operated by pumps & machinery rather than by pedal. The clutch will need replacing at some point.

Old 08-27-2015, 07:34 PM
Originally Posted by yvr
Evermore, don't be fooled -- there's no such thing as an automatic Vantage. You're looking at a SportShift model which is an automated manual with a clutch operated by pumps & machinery rather than by pedal. The clutch will need replacing at some point.
It will shift by itself at redline though, no?

Also, wasn't it updated with the 2009 model?

Old 08-27-2015, 07:41 PM
Originally Posted by spikemd
$36K for repairs? That is incredibly high. There must be some big ticket items that went wrong, check the records again. And you would never just change one rotor, its always done in pairs.

Was it being serviced at Los Gatos?
No one big ticket item that sticks out.. The car is in the LA area.. each yearly service clocks in at over $2k which seems rather steep...

The clutch was replaced in 2011 but that was actually covered under warranty so did not contribute to that $35k overall tab..

Here is a link to the google doc I put all the information in

Old 08-27-2015, 07:43 PM
Originally Posted by Korntera
$35K in maintenance and repairs? What the heck!
I have only had mine a while but its an 07, had the original tires on it and that was $1,400 to replace, plus i did new front rotors and pads(not because they were needed but because I wanted a better track setup and im picky) and that was around $1,200
Insurance for me is only around $900 a year for full coverage with multi policy discount etc and im 31 with no tickets or accidents.

If the car you are looking at is over 25K miles and not had a clutch, plan on spending $7k for a new clutch soon, its the reason I bought a manual and not an automatic.

I can't imagine $5,100 per year in maintenance and repairs on an 07 unless it had 60K miles and has gone through two clutches or they are just paying the worlds most expensive service rates.
The car apparently has 56k miles at this point.

$900 a year for insurance? would you mind sharing which insurance company this is? Thanks!

Old 08-27-2015, 08:06 PM
Wow I didn't know chin guard was an annually replaced item

And the items looks about right, were they all done at the dealer? If so you can chop almost 50% off the total spend.

Also, I can see a few items there that most of us have opt to not fix / use a work around. Such as the non locking door locks, some times they act up and I lock it physically using the key instead of the fob. A pain in the butt but saved myself 2k right there.

Also a sports car would consume tires and brakes quicker than a normal car on normal tires. So you have to take that into account as well.

BTW at 56k miles it might be in need of its 2nd clutch change.

Old 08-28-2015, 01:01 AM
Originally Posted by mkzhang
Wow I didn't know chin guard was an annually replaced item

And the items looks about right, were they all done at the dealer? If so you can chop almost 50% off the total spend.

Also, I can see a few items there that most of us have opt to not fix / use a work around. Such as the non locking door locks, some times they act up and I lock it physically using the key instead of the fob. A pain in the butt but saved myself 2k right there.

Also a sports car would consume tires and brakes quicker than a normal car on normal tires. So you have to take that into account as well.

BTW at 56k miles it might be in need of its 2nd clutch change.
How come clutches only last 30k miles? How are they holding up in the manual transmission cars?

Old 08-28-2015, 06:28 AM
That was just a non scientific estimate based on what I am reading in the forums (opinions may vary, so please take what i said with a grain of salt).

The vantage's "automatic" likes to slip the clutch a lot more than a human would during low speed around town and in traffic, so depending on your use, it seems a lot of people go through clutches by ~20 - 30k miles. Manual is all depending on driving style / and proper technique.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: total maintenance & repairs per years