Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

DB9 startup explosion noise puzzle

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-17-2015, 04:03 AM
kensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud of
DB9 startup explosion noise puzzle

Never had this happen before in any car.

When I turned the ignition key in my 2007 DB9 this afternoon in the street park, there was a loud noise like a small explosion or brief loudspeaker static noise, very quick and very loud and it stopped straight away. All the dashboard lights were normal during the episode.

It gave me a fright and I immediately turned off the key. I looked around and didn't see anything that might have caused it, or smelt any smoke, so turned the key on again without it happening again. When I pressed the start button everything worked fine, gauges looked normal, and it went fine for several startups as I did some shopping at a couple stores. I even tried it again just now, about 10pm and it's all normal.

I thought it may have been a coincidental backfire from a car nearby, but there was nothing around on the road at the time. It certainly sounded like it came from behind the steering wheel area which made me think of the speakers, but I never have the radio on.

The other thought was that I had only partially turned the key on and there was some kind of electrical short before it reached full turn.

It's baffling, and I'm hoping it doesn't indicate something expensive further down the track. Any ideas?

Old 09-17-2015, 09:19 AM
J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !
Welcome to the Linn sound system experience on start-up. It's your stereo amplifier. Software could help, really need to ditch the amplifier.

Old 09-17-2015, 04:03 PM
kensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud of
Hopefully the noise took out the amp and I won't need to worry any longer! It was a big bang.

A search doesn't reveal this type of problem but it seems the most likely solution. What else happens with Linn that gives it this reputation?