Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

How to remove front fender-HELP PLEASE

Old 09-24-2015, 03:59 PM
Wildcat1212 is a glorious beacon of lightWildcat1212 is a glorious beacon of lightWildcat1212 is a glorious beacon of lightWildcat1212 is a glorious beacon of lightWildcat1212 is a glorious beacon of light
How to remove front fender-HELP PLEASE

Ho guys I have been working on disassembling my DB9 to perform color change vinyl wrap.
I wanted to remove front fender
I think I have removed all the screws and nuts.
Process is as follows
1.raise the vehicle
2. remove slam plate fender after opening engine compartment 18 screws
3. remove wheel and wheel liner
4. remove airbox
5. remove 4 screws holding panel to front bumper
6. loosen two screws holding panel to body
7. remove 2 screws with nut at bottom holding front fender to long part which runs below the door 9not sure of the name)
8. remove 4 screws from top of fender panel 9inside engine compartment near weather seal)
9. open two screws in door panel which holds a triangular long piece in place (area opposite the mirrors)
10. remove door (not very difficult, just loosen two bolts which needs starbit T8 socket, pull wire harness, disconnect plus, have second pair of hand and lift the dorr to remove it from car. BTW you do need to disconnect gas strut from inside the wheelliner which holds the door in place) ) . you need to do this to access a nut which is located underneath the top of the front panel (where it meets panel on side windshield)

Now I am stuck not sure what the final step is
there are two clips one at font end and one at rear end of this fender which are held in place by two rivet dom head clips. I think one just needs to pull the panel out but not sure.

Any help will be appreciated.

Part in question is item number 7 in parts diagram and I have attached few photos of problematic area as well

I am suppose to do same on other side too, if there is interest then I can post photos of each step.

Thanks.

Attached Files
File Type: doc
Doc1.doc (158.5 KB, 74 views)
Old 09-24-2015, 04:02 PM
Wildcat1212 is a glorious beacon of lightWildcat1212 is a glorious beacon of lightWildcat1212 is a glorious beacon of lightWildcat1212 is a glorious beacon of lightWildcat1212 is a glorious beacon of light
this are the pics of problematic area

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	1.60 MB
ID:	429051   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	2.47 MB
ID:	429052   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	1.68 MB
ID:	429053  
Old 09-24-2015, 07:46 PM
KOCF has a spectacular aura aboutKOCF has a spectacular aura aboutKOCF has a spectacular aura about
The rivets in the middle picture are called "pop" rivets. They are very easy to remove and install. I just replaced my door air struts a few days ago, so I'm familiar with that part of the procedure. I'd suggest just removing the air struts as part of the work needed to get the doors off which is a two man job to safely lift them. I'd further suggest replacing the door air struts as long as they are off. The new ones on my car made an amazing difference.

If you look at my thread about replacing the front grille frame that I started yesterday, you'll see that I'm quite concerned about how to get the ends of the frame out from behind the fender. Since we live close by, I've got a pop rivet tool and a selection of pop rivets I can give you. I've also got a special long screwdriver that makes easy work of the strut removal and I can help you lift the doors off. In turn, i'd like to get a better look at what I'll need to do to get my grille frame out from the fender area before I start tearing the bumper off my car.

Just let me know if this will work for you.

Last edited by KOCF; 09-24-2015 at 07:58 PM.
Old 09-24-2015, 08:07 PM
karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !
Nooooo. No need to remove rivets. Simply pull down on the black clip and the other half should slide out with a small tug. The rivets just attach the bracket that hold the clip in place. The clips usually have a small "pin" that secures into a hole on the tab on the other panel.

Old 09-24-2015, 08:27 PM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by karlfranz
Nooooo. No need to remove rivets. Simply pull down on the black clip and the other half should slide out with a small tug. The rivets just attach the bracket that hold the clip in place. The clips usually have a small "pin" that secures into a hole on the tab on the other panel.
Yup I have spent like 30-45 min and was able go get it loose but I think I will have to remove whole bumper to get this front fender out.

BTW KarlFranz, you inspired me to wrap the car myself. there is no way I can get perfection like you did but I can try.

can you update that post to show where you had joined pieces in door jamb? tips on how to wrap door jambs? please pretty please....

also any suggestion on how to wrap door handles?

KMOC keith I know who you are, sent you the email.