Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Checking the Porterfield R4-S pads after a track day

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-25-2015, 03:39 PM
telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !
Checking the Porterfield R4-S pads after a track day

I decided to start making videos so I can become the next Kardashian.

This is a quick one showing how to change your brake pads. It's just a rough guide for demonstration purposes. I also made it to show the Porterfield R4-S pads after using them on track (spoiler alert: the pads are perfectly fine).

If anyone has any ideas for videos, PM me and I'll do what I can

Btw, this is my first ever "talk to the camera" video so go easy on me lol

Last edited by telum01; 10-25-2015 at 05:41 PM.
Old 10-26-2015, 09:35 AM
911MTB will become famous soon enough
Nice video, thanks for taking the time to post.

Old 10-26-2015, 09:46 AM
mkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud of
Awesome video, may I suggest how to wash your car with bikini babes for next one

Old 10-26-2015, 10:23 AM
telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 911MTB
Nice video, thanks for taking the time to post.
Thanks!

It seems to me that a lot of hesitation and confusion comes from lack of info on our cars. I thought making videos would show the actual process for a lot of things that people are hesitant to tackle. There are pics and DIY guides, but being able to see the process actually happen clarifies a lot of what can be done and how to do it.

I'm not a professional by any means, so maybe this is more of a... layman's guide to hitting your car with a hammer

Originally Posted by mkzhang
Awesome video, may I suggest how to wash your car with bikini babes for next one
We both know that I'm completely bikini-babes-less. Or... are you volunteering Morgan and her friends?

Old 10-26-2015, 12:11 PM
mkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud of
Best idea. If we get Justin involved, and randomly through out your videos Morgan and Ashely walks around in bikini, viewership would massively increase.

Old 10-26-2015, 11:49 PM
sdekoning is a splendid one to beholdsdekoning is a splendid one to beholdsdekoning is a splendid one to beholdsdekoning is a splendid one to beholdsdekoning is a splendid one to beholdsdekoning is a splendid one to beholdsdekoning is a splendid one to behold
very good indeed! Keep "em coming.

Old 10-27-2015, 07:48 AM
Originally Posted by mkzhang
Best idea. If we get Justin involved, and randomly through out your videos Morgan and Ashely walks around in bikini, viewership would massively increase.
I'll let you take the lead on this one. Feel free to pitch it to them... just let me be there so I can see their responses lol

Originally Posted by sdekoning
very good indeed! Keep "em coming.
Thank you! I'm going to try to get another posted on Sunday, it'll be how to replace the battery. Probably a video showing how to replace a MAF sensor after that.

Old 10-28-2015, 11:55 AM
Kevwood is a jewel in the roughKevwood is a jewel in the roughKevwood is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by telum01
I'll let you take the lead on this one. Feel free to pitch it to them... just let me be there so I can see their responses lol

Thank you! I'm going to try to get another posted on Sunday, it'll be how to replace the battery. Probably a video showing how to replace a MAF sensor after that.
Good video, thanks for posting. I have the same brake set up as you from VAP, installing next week hopefully. Interesting observation on the trackibility, I track my cars and the Vantage will be no different. Other than a depreciated initial bite, was the pad consistent? Did you notice any fade or increasingly depreciated bite as you turned more laps?

I had a set of slotted rotors and Akebono pads on my KLEEMNANN CLK that all but completely failed after a few laps and I almost ended up in a wall - went with a Brembo BBK immediately after that.

Old 10-28-2015, 12:15 PM
The pad did well on much of the track, it was only in those two corners that I overheated them. Once cooled off they'd be fine again, but I had to hold back on the run-up to each of those two corners to ensure I didn't overheat the pads when I got on the brakes.

They felt fine on the drive home from the track, and have felt fine ever since. One of the reasons I wanted to look at the surface of the pads is to see if the heat did any visual damage, which wasn't the case. So the only issue the pads had was during those intense braking sections, you can feel them lose their stopping power as they pass their heat threshold. Once cooled, they were completely back to normal with no lasting negative effects.

They were pretty consistent throughout the day.

Old 10-28-2015, 12:19 PM
Kevwood is a jewel in the roughKevwood is a jewel in the roughKevwood is a jewel in the rough
Thanks, always a trade off between low dust and performance but it sounds like these are a good compromise. Looking forward to trying them out on the YAS F1 circuit after the GP in Nov, AM Owners Group here is hosting a track day.

Old 10-28-2015, 12:22 PM
Just be careful going into turns 8 and 11 and you should be good through the rest of the track.

I forgot to mention it, but I have RSC's brake cooling ducts on my car, too. That might have helped the pads return to their operating temps. Not sure how quickly they'll cool down without the ducts.

Old 10-28-2015, 01:22 PM
cret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Kevwood
Thanks, always a trade off between low dust and performance but it sounds like these are a good compromise. Looking forward to trying them out on the YAS F1 circuit after the GP in Nov, AM Owners Group here is hosting a track day.
I've also overheated R4-S and much prefer R4 for track duty. Definitely no overheat or fade issue with the R4 pads.

Old 10-28-2015, 05:25 PM
papigko is a glorious beacon of lightpapigko is a glorious beacon of lightpapigko is a glorious beacon of lightpapigko is a glorious beacon of lightpapigko is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by cret
I've also overheated R4-S and much prefer R4 for track duty. Definitely no overheat or fade issue with the R4 pads.
The R4s street and R4 track combo really works great I've used it on several cars over the years the similar pad material makes for quick bedding and the 2 pads are really great at their respective duties.

Old 10-28-2015, 06:26 PM
That's what I was thinking of trying out. The pads I used to have were amazing but I can't figure out what exactly they were. Only downside to those is that they dusted like crazy.

I like the fact that the R4-S pads don't dust at all.

Swapping pads is a one-beer job so doing it before a track day is easy enough. I think I'll try the R4 pads come next spring.

Old 10-28-2015, 06:49 PM
papigko is a glorious beacon of lightpapigko is a glorious beacon of lightpapigko is a glorious beacon of lightpapigko is a glorious beacon of lightpapigko is a glorious beacon of light
You'll be happy with the combo, as you know the r4s are a great street pad with low dust and a progressive bite which are very easy to modulate on the street. The R4 pads have a strong initial bite and get better and better as they heat up. They are ok to drive to the track on but certainly not a pad that you will want to leave on for long as they are real dusty and tend to have an appetite for rotors when used cold. That said they are very rotor friendly at the track when they are hot. Also considerably less expensive than most competitive pads.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Checking the Porterfield R4-S pads after a track day