Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

New Member - Interested in early DB9s

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-29-2015, 09:26 AM
JaguarXKR is on a distinguished road
New Member - Interested in early DB9s

I've been interested in early DB9 Volantes. I am finding what looks like decent early cars for under $50k. I don't think they made an ugly factory standard exterior color, and really my only interior requirement is not that Red Fox color. I am fine with the ZF autobox.

I've bought the book about gaydon AMs and learned a lot. I know to look for the updated dipstick, among other things. I've read the FAQ and DIY stuff here. I'm a DIYer on everything; and have worked on more exotic vehicles in the past. That said, I would definitely have any car I'm interested PPIed at a respected AM dealer or if there are any better independent resource available. I know this will definitely be a little more expensive and needy than my Jaguars have been; but want to learn and prepare myself.

Is 50k for an early DB9 Volante realistic?

What is a good checklist for common faults, in addition to the detailed lists from the Aston Book (
LINK LINK
)?

What are good parts resources for new parts, used parts, etc?

What diagnostic tool should I purchase? I have VCDS from my Audis (anyone want to buy a D3 A8 or B5 A4?) and it's been amazing, I definitely want to spend the money to get a good or factory equivalent tool.

Insurance? I've found the National Corvette Museum (were great on my previous Corvette) offered me a very affordable rate for my purpsoes (I'm 28F, car would be owned outright no payments, kept in locked attached garage) of $1500 a year. Any recommendations for a better insurer or rate?

Any options to seek out, or avoid?

What is good to do to get the car up to daily driver level snuff right after I get one? Anything other than the obvious stuff.

Old 10-29-2015, 09:33 AM
Collinsjd is on a distinguished road
As far as insurance goes, I went with AAA. Full coverage and ~ $88 a month. Locked garage with under 3K planned miles for the year.

Recently purchased our first Aston; a 2005 DB9 with 16.7K on the clock. Merlot exterior with sandstorm interior. Had the vehicle PPI'd at a respectable local indy who specializes in exotics and Aston's.

One of the critical components for my purchase was the service history. I wanted complete history from the beginning to ensure common items were taken care of. I learned the dip stick concern was resolved and the previous owner had the waterfall Navi upgrade performed at an AM dealer.

Don't be afraid of independents in your area. Dealers will typically try to sell work as it's usually a commission based environment. Independents want the relationship, etc.. Congrats in advance on your pre-purchase of an Aston.