6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   Aston Martin (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/aston-martin-39/)
-   -   H&R springs or coilovers? (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/aston-martin/382383-h-r-springs-coilovers.html)

mantonkroh 02-03-2016 03:52 AM

H&R springs or coilovers?

Hello friends,

I have read through many threads but looks like I can't get a clear answer. I'm hoping this will resolve my issue, and possibly for others.

Background: I have a 2013 AMV8V with sports pack (Bilstein). I'm looking to lower my car only 3/4-1.00" and mounting 20" HRE P101s. I'm hearing that I should just go with the .75" lowering springs from H&R rather than coilovers because the drop isn't significant. If I were to attempt a more aggressive drop, I was recommended coilovers.

Question: For those who went with springs instead of coilovers, what was your experience? Was the ride comfort compromised? Would you recommend springs instead of coilovers for a maximum 1" drop? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

MadeInPorshe 02-03-2016 05:33 AM

I've also got sport pack on my V8V and will be installing the H&R springs next week sometime so I'll have some feed back with the blistein dampers paired with the h&r's.
I've heard a lot of mixed reviews on this and decided to try it out for my self. Although, coilovers would be the best option

telum01 02-03-2016 08:00 AM

General consensus is that you do not want to put H&R springs on the Sport Pack struts because they're mismatched and will cause a "pogo" effect. I have them on my standard (non-Sport Pack) struts and they're great but very low.

KW and Nitron both make coilovers. I've heard a ton of great stuff about Nitron's. Haven't heard much at all about KW's but their products tend to have a great reputation. I was going to go with Nitron but might end up doing KW struts with custom linear springs as a project.

Stuart@VelocityAP 02-03-2016 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by mantonkroh (Post 4466144)
Hello friends,

I have read through many threads but looks like I can't get a clear answer. I'm hoping this will resolve my issue, and possibly for others.

Background: I have a 2013 AMV8V with sports pack (Bilstein). I'm looking to lower my car only 3/4-1.00" and mounting 20" HRE P101s. I'm hearing that I should just go with the .75" lowering springs from H&R rather than coilovers because the drop isn't significant. If I were to attempt a more aggressive drop, I was recommended coilovers.

Question: For those who went with springs instead of coilovers, what was your experience? Was the ride comfort compromised? Would you recommend springs instead of coilovers for a maximum 1" drop? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

We developed a lowering spring for exactly the reasons you're describing - the desire to lower close to an inch, but not slam the car, and to do so without compromising ride quality. Many people complained to us about the H&R 'Pogo' effect. Our tapered springs lower the car 7/8" and have been installed by a number of 6speeders. All have reported that the ride quality was either no worse, or some felt it was improved, compared to the OEM springs.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ct-launch.html

We have a container arriving from our manufacturer in Australia in about 5 weeks.

Coilovers is a whole other level of cost. We do offer the Nitron setup, which is very nice on the street and ride height adjustable:

http://www.velocityap.com/Aston-Mart...v8coilover.htm

mantonkroh 02-03-2016 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by MadeInPorshe (Post 4466153)
I've also got sport pack on my V8V and will be installing the H&R springs next week sometime so I'll have some feed back with the blistein dampers paired with the h&r's.
I've heard a lot of mixed reviews on this and decided to try it out for my self. Although, coilovers would be the best option

Awesome! Would love to get your feedback and also photos!

mantonkroh 02-03-2016 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by Stuart@VelocityAP (Post 4466493)
We developed a lowering spring for exactly the reasons you're describing - the desire to lower close to an inch, but not slam the car, and to do so without compromising ride quality. Many people complained to us about the H&R 'Pogo' effect. Our tapered springs lower the car 7/8" and have been installed by a number of 6speeders. All have reported that the ride quality was either no worse, or some felt it was improved, compared to the OEM springs.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ct-launch.html

We have a container arriving from our manufacturer in Australia in about 5 weeks.

Coilovers is a whole other level of cost. We do offer the Nitron setup, which is very nice on the street and ride height adjustable:

http://www.velocityap.com/Aston-Mart...v8coilover.htm

Thanks Stuart! I will do further research on your springs.

mantonkroh 02-03-2016 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by telum01 (Post 4466199)
General consensus is that you do not want to put H&R springs on the Sport Pack struts because they're mismatched and will cause a "pogo" effect. I have them on my standard (non-Sport Pack) struts and they're great but very low.

KW and Nitron both make coilovers. I've heard a ton of great stuff about Nitron's. Haven't heard much at all about KW's but their products tend to have a great reputation. I was going to go with Nitron but might end up doing KW struts with custom linear springs as a project.

Thanks Telum01. I've heard the same and that's a big concern of mine. But some say the ride quality is just fine. Using other peoples' personal preference is a challenging way to make a decision. Lol. Thanks for your input.

Montana107 02-03-2016 07:27 PM

I have done both on my V8VS - H&R do not work well with the sport pack - mismatch to the dampers - I have a set for sale for a non sport pack Vanatge if anyone is interested.

I went with the Nitrons and I am very pleased with the ride but still need to dial in a few items before a full report -

If you want springs only I would recommend Stuart's solution -

Cheers!

mantonkroh 02-03-2016 07:47 PM

Thank you Montana107. I will do research on Stuart's springs. Just curious, why did you go with coilovers instead of the springs that Stuart is discussing?

Montana107 02-03-2016 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by mantonkroh (Post 4466608)
Thank you Montana107. I will do research on Stuart's springs. Just curious, why did you go with coilovers instead of the springs that Stuart is discussing?

I wanted a more track focused solution with linear rate springs to my specs and ride height / corner weight adjustablility

Maple Valley 996T 02-03-2016 08:54 PM

My '07 V8V came with H&R mounted and stock 19" wheels, no rubbing and great performance on spirited mountain road drive, lots of compression/rebound, very predictable!

mantonkroh 02-03-2016 09:16 PM

Gotcha! Makes sense. Thank you.

mantonkroh 02-03-2016 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by Maple Valley 996T (Post 4466634)
My '07 V8V came with H&R mounted and stock 19" wheels, no rubbing and great performance on spirited mountain road drive, lots of compression/rebound, very predictable!

Thanks Maple Valley for the insight.

impulsiv 02-03-2016 09:43 PM

I just got H&R on my 09 Vantage/sport. I installed them, droped the car from the jackstands, raised it again and removed them springs. If you want them, they're for sale. Rear camber was like -5 degrees, there's no way to achieve the spec at -1.75 degree doing the alignment. Way too low.

Velocity springs on their way.

Stuart@VelocityAP 02-03-2016 11:01 PM

Here's the skinny - the front springs are basically the same from sportpack to non-sportpack. Just a few mm static length with similar spring rates, basically means nothing on loaded height. The rears are TOTALLY different. H&R on a Sportpack car will drop the arse end of the car about 1.5" further than the front.

Which is why we bench tested sportpack springs to come up with a correct solution for the rears, which doesn't drop the car 2" from standard. This is Sportpack on H&R. It's really, really low.

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.6sp...a116023796.jpg