Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

H&R springs or coilovers?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-03-2016, 03:52 AM
mantonkroh is on a distinguished road
H&R springs or coilovers?

Hello friends,

I have read through many threads but looks like I can't get a clear answer. I'm hoping this will resolve my issue, and possibly for others.

Background: I have a 2013 AMV8V with sports pack (Bilstein). I'm looking to lower my car only 3/4-1.00" and mounting 20" HRE P101s. I'm hearing that I should just go with the .75" lowering springs from H&R rather than coilovers because the drop isn't significant. If I were to attempt a more aggressive drop, I was recommended coilovers.

Question: For those who went with springs instead of coilovers, what was your experience? Was the ride comfort compromised? Would you recommend springs instead of coilovers for a maximum 1" drop? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Old 02-03-2016, 05:33 AM
MadeInPorshe will become famous soon enoughMadeInPorshe will become famous soon enough
I've also got sport pack on my V8V and will be installing the H&R springs next week sometime so I'll have some feed back with the blistein dampers paired with the h&r's.
I've heard a lot of mixed reviews on this and decided to try it out for my self. Although, coilovers would be the best option

Old 02-03-2016, 08:00 AM
telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !
General consensus is that you do not want to put H&R springs on the Sport Pack struts because they're mismatched and will cause a "pogo" effect. I have them on my standard (non-Sport Pack) struts and they're great but very low.

KW and Nitron both make coilovers. I've heard a ton of great stuff about Nitron's. Haven't heard much at all about KW's but their products tend to have a great reputation. I was going to go with Nitron but might end up doing KW struts with custom linear springs as a project.

Old 02-03-2016, 03:29 PM
Basic Sponsor
Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by mantonkroh
Hello friends,

I have read through many threads but looks like I can't get a clear answer. I'm hoping this will resolve my issue, and possibly for others.

Background: I have a 2013 AMV8V with sports pack (Bilstein). I'm looking to lower my car only 3/4-1.00" and mounting 20" HRE P101s. I'm hearing that I should just go with the .75" lowering springs from H&R rather than coilovers because the drop isn't significant. If I were to attempt a more aggressive drop, I was recommended coilovers.

Question: For those who went with springs instead of coilovers, what was your experience? Was the ride comfort compromised? Would you recommend springs instead of coilovers for a maximum 1" drop? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!
We developed a lowering spring for exactly the reasons you're describing - the desire to lower close to an inch, but not slam the car, and to do so without compromising ride quality. Many people complained to us about the H&R 'Pogo' effect. Our tapered springs lower the car 7/8" and have been installed by a number of 6speeders. All have reported that the ride quality was either no worse, or some felt it was improved, compared to the OEM springs.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ct-launch.html

We have a container arriving from our manufacturer in Australia in about 5 weeks.

Coilovers is a whole other level of cost. We do offer the Nitron setup, which is very nice on the street and ride height adjustable:

http://www.velocityap.com/Aston-Mart...v8coilover.htm

206 Maple Avenue
Oliver, BC
Canada V2A 4W6
Office: (1)250-485-5126
www.velocityap.com
Old 02-03-2016, 06:42 PM
Originally Posted by MadeInPorshe
I've also got sport pack on my V8V and will be installing the H&R springs next week sometime so I'll have some feed back with the blistein dampers paired with the h&r's.
I've heard a lot of mixed reviews on this and decided to try it out for my self. Although, coilovers would be the best option
Awesome! Would love to get your feedback and also photos!

Old 02-03-2016, 06:43 PM
Originally Posted by Stuart@VelocityAP
We developed a lowering spring for exactly the reasons you're describing - the desire to lower close to an inch, but not slam the car, and to do so without compromising ride quality. Many people complained to us about the H&R 'Pogo' effect. Our tapered springs lower the car 7/8" and have been installed by a number of 6speeders. All have reported that the ride quality was either no worse, or some felt it was improved, compared to the OEM springs.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ct-launch.html

We have a container arriving from our manufacturer in Australia in about 5 weeks.

Coilovers is a whole other level of cost. We do offer the Nitron setup, which is very nice on the street and ride height adjustable:

http://www.velocityap.com/Aston-Mart...v8coilover.htm
Thanks Stuart! I will do further research on your springs.

Old 02-03-2016, 06:45 PM
Originally Posted by telum01
General consensus is that you do not want to put H&R springs on the Sport Pack struts because they're mismatched and will cause a "pogo" effect. I have them on my standard (non-Sport Pack) struts and they're great but very low.

KW and Nitron both make coilovers. I've heard a ton of great stuff about Nitron's. Haven't heard much at all about KW's but their products tend to have a great reputation. I was going to go with Nitron but might end up doing KW struts with custom linear springs as a project.
Thanks Telum01. I've heard the same and that's a big concern of mine. But some say the ride quality is just fine. Using other peoples' personal preference is a challenging way to make a decision. Lol. Thanks for your input.

Old 02-03-2016, 07:27 PM
Montana107 is on a distinguished road
I have done both on my V8VS - H&R do not work well with the sport pack - mismatch to the dampers - I have a set for sale for a non sport pack Vanatge if anyone is interested.

I went with the Nitrons and I am very pleased with the ride but still need to dial in a few items before a full report -

If you want springs only I would recommend Stuart's solution -

Cheers!

Old 02-03-2016, 07:47 PM
Thank you Montana107. I will do research on Stuart's springs. Just curious, why did you go with coilovers instead of the springs that Stuart is discussing?

Old 02-03-2016, 08:09 PM
Montana107 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by mantonkroh
Thank you Montana107. I will do research on Stuart's springs. Just curious, why did you go with coilovers instead of the springs that Stuart is discussing?

I wanted a more track focused solution with linear rate springs to my specs and ride height / corner weight adjustablility

Old 02-03-2016, 08:54 PM
Maple Valley 996T is on a distinguished road
My '07 V8V came with H&R mounted and stock 19" wheels, no rubbing and great performance on spirited mountain road drive, lots of compression/rebound, very predictable!

Old 02-03-2016, 09:16 PM
Gotcha! Makes sense. Thank you.

Old 02-03-2016, 09:17 PM
Originally Posted by Maple Valley 996T
My '07 V8V came with H&R mounted and stock 19" wheels, no rubbing and great performance on spirited mountain road drive, lots of compression/rebound, very predictable!
Thanks Maple Valley for the insight.

Old 02-03-2016, 09:43 PM
impulsiv is a jewel in the roughimpulsiv is a jewel in the roughimpulsiv is a jewel in the rough
I just got H&R on my 09 Vantage/sport. I installed them, droped the car from the jackstands, raised it again and removed them springs. If you want them, they're for sale. Rear camber was like -5 degrees, there's no way to achieve the spec at -1.75 degree doing the alignment. Way too low.

Velocity springs on their way.

Old 02-03-2016, 11:01 PM
Basic Sponsor
Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
Here's the skinny - the front springs are basically the same from sportpack to non-sportpack. Just a few mm static length with similar spring rates, basically means nothing on loaded height. The rears are TOTALLY different. H&R on a Sportpack car will drop the **** end of the car about 1.5" further than the front.

Which is why we bench tested sportpack springs to come up with a correct solution for the rears, which doesn't drop the car 2" from standard. This is Sportpack on H&R. It's really, really low.

206 Maple Avenue
Oliver, BC
Canada V2A 4W6
Office: (1)250-485-5126
www.velocityap.com

Last edited by Stuart@VelocityAP; 02-03-2016 at 11:28 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: H&R springs or coilovers?