Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

To wrap or not to wrap...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-14-2016, 09:36 AM
mindscape9 is a name known to allmindscape9 is a name known to allmindscape9 is a name known to allmindscape9 is a name known to allmindscape9 is a name known to allmindscape9 is a name known to all
Sheriff speaks the truth on custom vs pre-cut.

Check out this thread - https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...oatings-2.html

That link has some pics of my car with pre-cut film/wrap and then some pics with a custom-cut edge wrap. The difference is dramatic in terms of visibility of the wrap and getting that invisible look.

Old 04-14-2016, 09:43 AM
XJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond repute
I've got pre-cut on all my cars, using 3M Pro. Very satisfied with results, and I wouldn't touch an install that is cut on the car. I looked at your photos of pre-cut. They were indeed dramatic, but that's because it was either a bad kit, a bad install, or a combo of both.

Old 04-14-2016, 10:42 AM
mindscape9 is a name known to allmindscape9 is a name known to allmindscape9 is a name known to allmindscape9 is a name known to allmindscape9 is a name known to allmindscape9 is a name known to all
XJRS - I'm glad that the pre-cut worked out for you. I'm sure there are a lot of people out there that do a great job with pre-cut and their customers are satisfied with the work.

For me, the pre-cut that I had was bad (really bad) and that is the only experience I have with it. When I talked to installers who were offering pre-cut, they told me there was no way to avoid seams as that was the way the templates were designed. I wanted a seamless look, so I chose custom.

To the OP - I would say whether you are going pre-cut or custom, make sure you see prior work of the installer so you have an idea of what the finished work will look like. I may be wrong, but to my knowledge, the only way to get an edge wrap on the panels is to have it custom cut. If you don't care about seams and edge gaps, then maybe it doesn't matter.

Old 04-14-2016, 02:58 PM
Zinful is on a distinguished road
I just received notice that Aston has begun painting my car...' wish patience came a bit more easily. So now I am going to need to start earnestly looking for someone local ( Palm Beach- Palm Beach Gardens area) to do what needs to be done. I imagine that I will not see the car until early June, at best, so I still have some time. If any one of the locals crowd have any suggestions please PM me if you will.
Thanks.

Old 04-14-2016, 03:12 PM
SheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Zinful
I just received notice that Aston has begun painting my car...' wish patience came a bit more easily. So now I am going to need to start earnestly looking for someone local ( Palm Beach- Palm Beach Gardens area) to do what needs to be done. I imagine that I will not see the car until early June, at best, so I still have some time. If any one of the locals crowd have any suggestions please PM me if you will.
Thanks.
I have put out some feelers for your work, both for a Paint Correction and the clear film wrap in the PB area. Also the person who is processing this request is contemplating a tv video production for the work too as part of the process. But Orlando is 2hrs or so and Brian Guy is the person to work with for all of it there. One of the top guys in FL. So worse case you might have to travel a bit. Finding the perfect person or company to do this work is paramount, so there are very few around who can be trusted without question. I will follow up by PM as soon as I get an answer and then you can follow up from there and decide what to do. MAKE sure you have whoever (including my recommendation) go over each and every step, both product and machine usage and how they plan to tackle the job.

Side note: Make absolutely sure you have the person apply a Glass Coating (Modesta, 22ple) on the wheels, both the barrel and outside parts. This will keep them looking brand new for many many years to come, and only soap to wash them. That for me would be the most highly important part. Paint can be brought back to perfection, wheels cannot, so getting them off the bat is best.

Hope this helps

Old 04-14-2016, 03:14 PM
Zinful is on a distinguished road
That's great, thank you.

Old 04-15-2016, 06:29 PM
SheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Zinful
That's great, thank you.
Members----- This is what a brand new car of AM caliber should be put through before it leaves a dealer (rather no dealer prep). There are 6 sets of articles (short) for this particular car, but this specific link goes over the glass coatings used on it. 918 Porsche was the car. But you should get the point after reading this.
http://www.detailedimage.com/Ask-a-P...-video-part-3/