Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

2007 Vantage Options

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-09-2016, 04:29 PM
SheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Ron Avery
Sounds like a nice Vantage, the Aston preowned warranty is a must. My 2007 had it when I bought it in August of 2014. I did extend it for one more year as well. I have not had any big issues with the car, other than door struts, and one rear shock. That was it so far. My car had 2800 miles when I bought it, and now it has 7200 miles. My fear is the front timing cover. That is why I bought one more year for the warranty. These are great cars, you will love it. One more Point, you may want to have the blue tooth option it does work well, even with my I phone 6.
Ron
Ron and OP----

I just checked a week ago with my local AM dealer for the warranty information before I decide to purchase private, private dealer or AM dealer. Wanted to see what 4k of warranty advantage for a year would be. If I am not mistaken, and I possibly might be, but I asked specifically if the warranty would cover the Timing Cover gasket issue on early vantages. I was told not only does the car have to pass (which all dealer cars are supposed to for them to sell them) the AM checklist but warranty was I think 4k --1 year, then 2.5-3k per year after. It was like 8-11k for 3 years I think. BUT........... the timing cover gasket would not be covered. That was my main point so I think I am remembering correctly. Make sure all the issue items such as that are covered before buying warranty. If they are not covered, then I personally would not get one. Not sure what members experience with the warranties were, but i bet unless it covers that 2-3k repair 5k would like cover any warranty-able items and have some left over in 4 years. My concerns were shocks, timing cover issue, window regulators (my maserati broke me on these, 3x in 2 months at $600 a pop), and other engine and trans possibilities.

Just thought I might mention this so you make sure.

Old 04-09-2016, 07:17 PM
Kapoosh1 has a spectacular aura aboutKapoosh1 has a spectacular aura aboutKapoosh1 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by SheriffDep
Ron and OP----

I just checked a week ago with my local AM dealer for the warranty information before I decide to purchase private, private dealer or AM dealer. Wanted to see what 4k of warranty advantage for a year would be. If I am not mistaken, and I possibly might be, but I asked specifically if the warranty would cover the Timing Cover gasket issue on early vantages. I was told not only does the car have to pass (which all dealer cars are supposed to for them to sell them) the AM checklist but warranty was I think 4k --1 year, then 2.5-3k per year after. It was like 8-11k for 3 years I think. BUT........... the timing cover gasket would not be covered. That was my main point so I think I am remembering correctly. Make sure all the issue items such as that are covered before buying warranty. If they are not covered, then I personally would not get one. Not sure what members experience with the warranties were, but i bet unless it covers that 2-3k repair 5k would like cover any warranty-able items and have some left over in 4 years. My concerns were shocks, timing cover issue, window regulators (my maserati broke me on these, 3x in 2 months at $600 a pop), and other engine and trans possibilities.

Just thought I might mention this so you make sure.
Well that's interesting. I'll have to ask specifically about the timing cover gasket. It's hard to believe that wouldn't be covered. That's one of my main reasons for searching for one with the warranty.

Name:  scfbb03b77gc03666-18_zpsjdnzufpf.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  51.6 KB

Name:  scfbb03b77gc03666-22_zpsainaikjx.jpg
Views: 171
Size:  46.7 KB

Name:  scfbb03b77gc03666-10_zpstwsubjfw.jpg
Views: 182
Size:  42.7 KB

Old 04-09-2016, 08:40 PM
Ron Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to behold
I was told by my dealer and Aston Martin, that since my car was purchased with the extended Aston Martin preowned warranty. That if it passed the inspection for the purchase of one or two more years of there warranty, all these possible mechanical defects would be covered. Now has a side note of course wear items like brake pads, hoses, and clutch disks or brake rotors are not covered.
Ron

Old 04-09-2016, 08:56 PM
blue2000s is a jewel in the roughblue2000s is a jewel in the roughblue2000s is a jewel in the rough
I was told by my dealer and Aston Martin, that since my car was purchased with the extended Aston Martin preowned warranty. That if it passed the inspection for the purchase of one or two more years of there warranty, all these possible mechanical defects would be covered. Now has a side note of course wear items like brake pads, hoses, and clutch disks or brake rotors are not covered.
Ron
Did that specifically include the timing cover? What is and isn't a "defect" is pretty subjective unless it's specifically stated. Having said that, dealers will go to bat for a good customer to get something covered that normally isn't.

Old 04-09-2016, 09:18 PM
SheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to all
Just make sure you ask, but below is some of what is written on the AM warranty papers.

Ron----- Yes------ that is what I thought too from forum members. But AM of St Pete is where I went, and I know I specifically asked for the Vantage TC issue. I think they said no it wouldn't, and that is what spurred me to say WHAT IS and meet with their guy and get all paperwork. So, I am definitely not trying to argue about this, just I think I was told no. That is what is sticking because it surprised me so much.

None of us want a horrible story and/or a money pit. I think the first year was a good price like 2.5-3k, but year 2 was 4-5k. For 3 years it was like 11.5k total.

Also OP----- from what is on this forum, I think also the Timing cover issue shows its ugly head for some reason around 15-18k miles, not before and maybe after if it has it. Also there are 2 different fixes, a cheap 1k or so one and a 2k fix. The later is a permanent fix.

Another thing--- A Dealer PPI does not go over things like below. It does give measurements on brake pads, tires, clutch and other items, but its a pre-set checklist similar to what they use when doing a oil change and 100 something point check. He wouldn't give me that list, I did ask.

Interior---- tears, holes rips, scratches, gouges
Exterior----- dents, dings, scratches, paint condition, wheel condition, front valence wear, general overall condition.

Warranty-------
Does NOT cover:
Part A): Failure whensoever it might occur:
iv) Which is attributable to components that have failed which can be considered as having an inherent design fault.

That is the one that catches the timing cover leaking I think.

Part B) Any Claim:
i) Vehicle must be properly serviced at AM at the time and mileage the Manufacturer specifies. You have 1k miles either side and 4 weeks either side of time specified to do the yearly services, or what the book calls for. i.e.------07' is now 9 years old so the bigger service might be up, thats every other year, but whatever is called for on the 10 year service is what it should be I think.

This one seems confusing to me, it doesn't say what components. Also, I understand if it were brakes or wearables, but the last part gets me. A component reported during...... requiring repair???

Part c) Repairs, replacements or alterations:
ii) of any components which have not actually failed but which are repaired or replaced, or which are reported or discovered during service and maintenance work as requiring repair or replacement.

Old 04-10-2016, 03:13 PM
Ron Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to behold
Well if this is true, this would be the dumbest preowned warranty I've ever seen. How can they state if the part that fails is a defective design flaw then it's not covered that's absolutely ludicrous! I will ask my service advisor tomorrow.
Ron

Old 04-10-2016, 04:47 PM
Well if this is true, this would be the dumbest preowned warranty I've ever seen. How can they state if the part that fails is a defective design flaw then it's not covered that's absolutely ludicrous! I will ask my service advisor tomorrow.
Ron
I hope this isn't a case of one dealer spelling out things differently than another. If you don't mind please ask him and let us know. I went into looking at the warranty for 1 year just for peace of mind. But like I said, I remember being kinda shocked about it and the TC was my main concern, so I think I heard no coverage. The dealer PPI list was lacking to say the least IMHO. I expect a PPI to cover the smallest detail, especially for $600.

See about TC fix, things like seat motors, window regulators, trim pieces coming unglued, leather on dash in the corner issue etc.....

Thanks Ron

Old 04-10-2016, 05:13 PM
Prefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud of
I do know this, in the first five years the warranty extension I thought was fairly reasonable. However after that it goes up quite a bit so I wrestled with do I keep my 2009 either with or without warranty, or factor in all the potential costs plus the warrantee increase versus trading it in on a newer one.

If I chose to keep it instead of the trade, I probably would've been first in line for the turbocharging kit!

Old 04-11-2016, 11:31 AM
Just make sure you ask, but below is some of what is written on the AM warranty papers.

Ron----- Yes------ that is what I thought too from forum members. But AM of St Pete is where I went, and I know I specifically asked for the Vantage TC issue. I think they said no it wouldn't, and that is what spurred me to say WHAT IS and meet with their guy and get all paperwork. So, I am definitely not trying to argue about this, just I think I was told no. That is what is sticking because it surprised me so much.

None of us want a horrible story and/or a money pit. I think the first year was a good price like 2.5-3k, but year 2 was 4-5k. For 3 years it was like 11.5k total.

Also OP----- from what is on this forum, I think also the Timing cover issue shows its ugly head for some reason around 15-18k miles, not before and maybe after if it has it. Also there are 2 different fixes, a cheap 1k or so one and a 2k fix. The later is a permanent fix.

Another thing--- A Dealer PPI does not go over things like below. It does give measurements on brake pads, tires, clutch and other items, but its a pre-set checklist similar to what they use when doing a oil change and 100 something point check. He wouldn't give me that list, I did ask.

Interior---- tears, holes rips, scratches, gouges
Exterior----- dents, dings, scratches, paint condition, wheel condition, front valence wear, general overall condition.

Warranty-------
Does NOT cover:
Part A): Failure whensoever it might occur:
iv) Which is attributable to components that have failed which can be considered as having an inherent design fault.

That is the one that catches the timing cover leaking I think.

Part B) Any Claim:
i) Vehicle must be properly serviced at AM at the time and mileage the Manufacturer specifies. You have 1k miles either side and 4 weeks either side of time specified to do the yearly services, or what the book calls for. i.e.------07' is now 9 years old so the bigger service might be up, thats every other year, but whatever is called for on the 10 year service is what it should be I think.

This one seems confusing to me, it doesn't say what components. Also, I understand if it were brakes or wearables, but the last part gets me. A component reported during...... requiring repair???

Part c) Repairs, replacements or alterations:
ii) of any components which have not actually failed but which are repaired or replaced, or which are reported or discovered during service and maintenance work as requiring repair or replacement.
Ok I stopped by my dealer this morning.
They said that if the car is currently under the Aston Martin New car or extended warranty, and passes the inspection. The timing cover and other leaks ect are covered. Now they also said if you are out of warranty and you get the inspection, and they find that the car has an oil leak from the timing cover or some other part of the car. That would not be covered when you purchase the warranty. They also told me that the extend warranty does not cover.paint or trim parts (dash board or leather).
So the trick is to buy the extend the warranty before your current warranty expires. So if they find a problem during the pre warranty inspection, it will be covered. This is what I did, I had the the inspection for my preowned warranty one year extension 1 month before my 1 year preowned warranty expired. I hope this helps to clear this up.
Ron

Old 04-11-2016, 01:00 PM
Jeff_335i is a splendid one to beholdJeff_335i is a splendid one to beholdJeff_335i is a splendid one to beholdJeff_335i is a splendid one to beholdJeff_335i is a splendid one to beholdJeff_335i is a splendid one to beholdJeff_335i is a splendid one to behold
Jeez, a 7 year, 70,000 mile bumper-to-bumper warranty for my Jeep Grand Cherokee was $1,000 from FCA. A lifetime, unlimited mile warranty would have been about $3,600.

Old 04-11-2016, 03:29 PM
Ron,

Thanks for getting that sorted out so to speak. Sorry I threw that wrench into it.

Now, so TC is covered and any engine drivetrain (non consumable items) and that is major, but I do wonder about Radio, window regulators, switches, TPMS, and probably other items along those lines. They sell it as all inclusive and extends factory warranty but I don't think that is what it actually is. More like a major item insurance but..... getting to the money.

1. Any used car can be under the warranty but has to pass the inspection first, then qualifies. Supposedly any car they sell has to pass that inspection or supposed too. So they all qualify. For anyone outside they can have the inspection and a dealer will get them the warranty after passing.

2. Now price--- I think the 1st year was like 4.5k on a car older than 5 years but less than 10. Second year was 3.5k and 3rd year was 2.5k. It was around 11k total for 3 years on a 5 year or older car. I am sure slightly negotiable too if pressed. I don't think those numbers are backwards either.

So, 4.5k for a year and thats after the car passes inspections. Not sure what could go wrong that would cost that much save an engine destroyed. Not a common issue anyway. But TC is like 2k and maybe some coils????? Not sure you would spend the 4.5k if you had issues, which a lot don't. Especially if you take 11k and look at repairs that way. The 11k likely would cover all consumables and any issues that needed sorting out and have money left over. Thats kinda how I feel.

What do you guys think????????

I bet Telum has spent close to that for everything but again maybe not quite that much either with many years and mileage on his. So maybe a calculated gamble in our favor to not get it.

Peace of mind really I think is the catch. Plus likely non information buyers would be scared and want it or financial buyers might do it to roll into payment plans. So if you have it like Ron great, but just wonder about the gamble. They are fairly reliable cars.

Old 04-11-2016, 03:51 PM
Kapoosh1 has a spectacular aura aboutKapoosh1 has a spectacular aura aboutKapoosh1 has a spectacular aura about
I think the first year is worth it. At the end of the day no matter how reliable they've proven to be, I'm going in buying a 9 year old car that's sat most of it's life. $4K for the warranty will pay for itself if there is a catastrophic failure. I have no intentions on renewing the warranty after year one if the Aston proves to be reliable.

It's 99% for piece of mind. In fact I hope I don't need to use the warranty at all.

Old 04-11-2016, 07:22 PM
Originally Posted by Kapoosh1
I think the first year is worth it. At the end of the day no matter how reliable they've proven to be, I'm going in buying a 9 year old car that's sat most of it's life. $4K for the warranty will pay for itself if there is a catastrophic failure. I have no intentions on renewing the warranty after year one if the Aston proves to be reliable.

It's 99% for piece of mind. In fact I hope I don't need to use the warranty at all.
That is the same page I am fighting with. PS> I have a line on a 08" Silver V8V that has 15k on it if yours doesn't come through. They are asking 59k, which to me is slightly high, but the car is mint, with black interior and white stitching. Metrolina Auto Group has it listed on their site, but its a consignment. Take a look if your at all interested. I would have gotten it, but decided to wait for a DB9. I can help you work that deal if you are. Also Eurowise shop is at the same location so I can likely get the details on the car without having to have a PPI done. Maybe, would have to ask though. Anyway thought I would throw that out since I am not moving on it myself.

Old 04-11-2016, 08:48 PM
One last point, I did ask my dealer if $2000 + was a good quote for the Timing cover. They said no, in 2012 it was still a very low amount. It is around a two day job, closer to $3000 or more.
Ron

Old 04-11-2016, 09:27 PM
That is the same page I am fighting with. PS> I have a line on a 08" Silver V8V that has 15k on it if yours doesn't come through. They are asking 59k, which to me is slightly high, but the car is mint, with black interior and white stitching. Metrolina Auto Group has it listed on their site, but its a consignment. Take a look if your at all interested. I would have gotten it, but decided to wait for a DB9. I can help you work that deal if you are. Also Eurowise shop is at the same location so I can likely get the details on the car without having to have a PPI done. Maybe, would have to ask though. Anyway thought I would throw that out since I am not moving on it myself.
Wow, that does look mint. I'm paying significantly less than that though. If my deals fall through, I'll be in touch. Thanks!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2007 Vantage Options