Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Well damn. The crystal lasted for 17 hours

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-09-2016, 05:08 PM
rhart6 is on a distinguished road
Well damn. The crystal lasted for 17 hours

Took the car off the truck last night. Over to hand car wash today. Drove off and the minute I took out the key i felt the chipped, rough corner. Obviously dropped on the concrete by a car wash moron. I was going to go back but realize it would be one of those hopeless exercises. I'm assuming crystal cannot be polished?

Old 05-09-2016, 05:52 PM
larryg is on a distinguished road
One of the reasons I use the plastic key

Old 05-09-2016, 05:55 PM
XJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond repute
There's a reason the plastic ECU is called the valet ECU....

Old 05-09-2016, 05:55 PM
Batman-76 has a spectacular aura aboutBatman-76 has a spectacular aura aboutBatman-76 has a spectacular aura about
Valet chipped my key long ago, and I've lived with it ever since.

Wifey says I should carry the plastic key for Valet, but I hate having extra stuff in my pockets.

Thankfully, I have a second ECU tucked away in the safe, protected from clumsy hands.

Old 05-09-2016, 06:06 PM
Yeh well the next step is to wrap up the entire car and make it a garage queen. I'll use the key and enjoy the patina. It can't get bad enough to equal the experience of wrapping it in baby bunting and putting it away where I will never see it. Life is short and this is not a dress rehearsal. At least I get some joy out of seeing the key. I get no joy out of looking at that plastic thing.

Old 05-09-2016, 07:06 PM
Zettinger is a glorious beacon of lightZettinger is a glorious beacon of lightZettinger is a glorious beacon of lightZettinger is a glorious beacon of lightZettinger is a glorious beacon of light
I'm so sorry to hear that. That is terrible!

I drove the first few days with the crystal but touched my pocket every minute to see that the ECU won't fall out.
Changed to the plastic version and feel more comfortable now.

Could you share a picture of the broken key?

Old 05-09-2016, 07:22 PM
Originally Posted by Zettinger
I'm so sorry to hear that. That is terrible!

I drove the first few days with the crystal but touched my pocket every minute to see that the ECU won't fall out.
Changed to the plastic version and feel more comfortable now.

Could you share a picture of the broken key?
Hi Zett
It is just chipped and scuffed on one corner and edge. No biggy. Is it true these things cost $2,000? Even for AM that sounds a bit crazy.

Old 05-09-2016, 07:29 PM
62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !
Aston Martin bits dot com has them for about $650 usd

Old 05-09-2016, 07:39 PM
Originally Posted by 62Jeff
There you go. I figure even abusing the crystal jewelry it will last for 48 months while it deteriorates. $650 divided by 48 months is only $13/month. And then I will recycle it for a valet key.

Old 05-09-2016, 07:54 PM
W126C will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Powerbeautysoul91
I'm assuming crystal cannot be polished?
Yes it can be polished out, but not to perfection. At least smoothed out. Any jeweler should be able to help, or just ask your dentist if he/she is a nice guy.

Regards

Old 05-09-2016, 08:07 PM
Zettinger is a glorious beacon of lightZettinger is a glorious beacon of lightZettinger is a glorious beacon of lightZettinger is a glorious beacon of lightZettinger is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by 62Jeff
The po of my Vantage spend 1400 bucks for a new plastic key since the dealer quoted him 2400 for a crystal.
He wanted a third key somehow.

Old 05-09-2016, 08:53 PM
Old phart is a jewel in the roughOld phart is a jewel in the roughOld phart is a jewel in the roughOld phart is a jewel in the rough
I have a couple chips on mine. Took it to a jeweler and he said go find a local rock/mineral club and see if a member will do it. Great idea but just haven't gotten around to it. Thinking I'll go to the county fair where they have their displays and try to find a chap to give it a shot.

Old 05-09-2016, 09:10 PM
Originally Posted by W126C
Yes it can be polished out, but not to perfection. At least smoothed out. Any jeweler should be able to help, or just ask your dentist if he/she is a nice guy.

Regards
Damn. Never occurred to me that crystal should react like any other stone good suggestion from you guys. I happen to be a dentist. Only practiced for 3 years and I'm not a nice guy so I guess that leaves me out.

Old 05-10-2016, 07:53 AM
Adrian928 is on a distinguished road
The sharp crystal edges can be smoothed with a Craytex cylinder in a rotary tool or variable speed drill.
Back to my question re: Traditional dash key conversion...Anyone?

Old 05-10-2016, 09:03 AM
XJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Adrian928
The sharp crystal edges can be smoothed with a Craytex cylinder in a rotary tool or variable speed drill.
Back to my question re: Traditional dash key conversion...Anyone?
Why on earth would you even think about doing this?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Well damn. The crystal lasted for 17 hours