Notices
Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Pre-owned market for Vantage V12S.

Old 05-23-2016, 06:45 PM
RossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by spinecho View Post
Doing some quick internet research (so of course, you know it's 100% accurate), and in an attempt to be objective, I see that the F430 shift time is 150 ms, the Scud is 60 ms, and SSIII is 80 ms.

As close as the times are, perhaps the difference between 80 and 60 ms is indeed detectable, but your description suggests there is more to it (I suppose if you break each shift down to its components, then there may be differences in tuning as 007 Vantage suggests, that are noticeable). Or maybe it's the fact that SSIII only goes to the shortest shift times at higher revs, in sport mode and under higher throttle applications - does the Scud have the same fast shift times under all conditions?

As for your description of smoothing the shifts by 'modulating the gas', this is not unique to the Scud and is also part of what makes driving SSIII more like a manual.

To summarize all of the above, I guess I am still having trouble understanding how to reconcile your statements that SSIII is "somewhat similar" to the wonderful Scud, but at the same time "severely lacking", without thinking there is a significant subjective bias . But, hey, I haven't driven a Scud, so I wouldn't know.
And to be fair, I haven't owned an SS3 car, only an SS2 that I sold quickly . I have driven the SS3 for a few hours because I was really on the fence with buying one. It ticked every box but that one. The best way to describe the Scud is you have to drive it. It's the only car I've regretted selling.

Back to Aston. Aston is always trying to balance raw sports car with gentlemen sports car and the SS3 is a perfect example of this. Sure it's capable of fast shifts but it's not visceral and snap your neck angry like a raw sports car. It's tuned down to a gentlemen sports car.

Old 06-11-2016, 08:58 PM
georgemaser is a glorious beacon of lightgeorgemaser is a glorious beacon of lightgeorgemaser is a glorious beacon of lightgeorgemaser is a glorious beacon of lightgeorgemaser is a glorious beacon of light
I have had my 2015 Vantage V12 S on AutoTrader for 4 weeks now with no action. The car only has 1900 miles and I started out asking $138k, I have now lowered the price to $129k. Still no action. I see there are still a lot of new 2015s left, is no one buying these cars? Is everyone going for the 2016 with the manual transmission now ?Is there a better online site then AutoTrader ? Any thoughts or advice is much appreciated.

Old 06-12-2016, 08:23 AM
RossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond repute
Dupont Registry might be an option. Based off my experience Aston's typically don't sell fast. I'm a bit shocked that at 129k you are getting no bites though. That feels like a great price but I don't know the market.

Regarding the 2016's, I thought I read they were a limited run.

Edit: Is your car the Tungsten Silver in MI? If so, your post has very little detail about the car. I'd mention it's still under warranty, highlight some of the options like the fantastic color (best color Aston has IMO), alcantara seat inserts, etc. People read descriptions so spruce it up a bit and you might get more activity. Worst case scenario, most Aston dealers will consign. You'll lose a certain % but more people buy from dealers and their network is much larger.

Last edited by RossL; 06-12-2016 at 08:30 AM.
Old 06-15-2016, 10:13 AM
Matt2364 is an unknown quantity at this point
As far as I saw the manual transmissions in the new 2016 were limited to 100 units. I have not seen any come up on autotrader or anything so I would imagine everyone that bought one still has it.

I have been scouring all the online sites the last 6 months as I just bought a 2011 V12 vantage about 2 weeks ago. All I am going to say is I could have gotten a 2015 for just about the same price I bought my 2011 and I did it for the manual transmission that is standard on the 2011 and 2012. It seems like there are a lot for sale right now (10-12 on autotrader) but there were consistently only about 5-6 for sale at any given time on average for the last 6 months. Any 2011/2012 that had low miles and was priced in the 120-130k range seemed to get snapped up within a month from what I was seeing.

I am in Ohio and I had to fly down to Texas just to see one for the first time. In my experience the 2011 and 2012 are moving very quick. Since Aston is more of a driving enthusiasts car I would imagine a lot of people are just skipping the 2015 and buying the 2011-2012.

That's just my 2 cents as I have been looking at Autotrader, James Edition, dupont, and a few other sites daily for the last 6 months. I know that does not help you much on the 2015 but that is why I think the 2015 have not been selling too well. Obviously there are a ton of people that don't want manuals so I would just be patient. I don't know your mileage or condition but the cheapest 2015 I saw over the last few months was about 129k and I would say average closer to 140-150k

Last edited by Matt2364; 06-15-2016 at 10:15 AM.
Old 06-15-2016, 11:57 AM
XJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond repute
Got sick of Autotrader listing arrangements, where they have different 'ad' levels and therefore you end up seeing the same car more than once in a search. I find cars.com way better to the point that I don't bother with AT anymore. I do look at e-bay.

Personally, I'd love a DBS with SSM; too bad there aren't any of those.

Old 06-15-2016, 12:51 PM
Prefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud of
If I was looking for a V12 it would be for the 2015 with Sportshift. I drove a used one, with some engine glitch (less low end power than my 4.7), but the sportshift III was great... Too bad it's not available on the V8.

Your color is great, I might have been interested if it had a tan interior at $129k

Old 06-23-2016, 10:02 PM
timwhayden is on a distinguished road
I bought a new V8V in '13 with the SSMII and love it. Sure, I wish it would shift a little faster than it does, but it is a minor complaint and does not detract from my enjoyment of the car. If the SSMIII shifts faster then if I were in the market for a V12V I would buy yours. So hang in there-not EVERYONE prefers the manual!

Old 06-24-2016, 04:38 AM
Prefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud of
I drove the 15 V12s, the SSIII is light years better than the SSII... Can't understand why they did not upgrade the V8's