Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Am i about to be ripped off?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-17-2016, 08:30 PM
alexhuth will become famous soon enough
Am i about to be ripped off?

So I finally got around to getting a quote to fix this small scratch and crack. Guess how much they came back with?!?!
$4000-$5000

They are going to get me another quote if I just bring in the bumper and fairing. Still can't help but feel like this is a little on the high side.

Also side note anyone take a whole fairing off before?

Any thoughts?

Attached Images   
Old 06-17-2016, 10:38 PM
spyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to behold
Yes. Way too much.

There are mobile paint repair guys in NorCal that will drive to your place and fix for less than $500.

Old 06-18-2016, 12:11 AM
SheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to all
Originally Posted by alexhuth
So I finally got around to getting a quote to fix this small scratch and crack. Guess how much they came back with?!?!
$4000-$5000

They are going to get me another quote if I just bring in the bumper and fairing. Still can't help but feel like this is a little on the high side.

Also side note anyone take a whole fairing off before?

Any thoughts?

Any price over 1k I would say is a total rippoff. You are a AM owner, so they will price accordingly. However, It appears it would need sanding down, plus the repair at the crack. That shouldn't cost but 1-200. The painting (if panel is removed, and I would say remove it yourself) should be no more than 500 or so. You want a professional to make sure the panel is correct in its color. I would have the whole panel painted, however if someone just did the blend in that area and a repair, then you should pay no more than 400 or so total. Just my thoughts, my guy would only charge 2-300 for the whole thing, however other than a bumper I wouldn't have him do a panel. Just to keep the AM quality. Supposedly there are AM specific authorized paint shops, might want to see if there is one in your area.

Old 06-18-2016, 06:39 AM
Originally Posted by SheriffDep
. Just my thoughts, my guy would only charge 2-300 for the whole thing, however other than a bumper I wouldn't have him do a panel. Just to keep the AM quality. Supposedly there are AM specific authorized paint shops, might want to see if there is one in your area.
I could ship the panels to your guy and have them fixed for that cheap!
Hell it would be cheaper to ship the whole car lol

I need to find a better place in the Austin area. Anyone know of anyone in Texas? I could totally go to Dallas or Houston.

Old 06-18-2016, 09:57 AM
drivergmx is a jewel in the roughdrivergmx is a jewel in the roughdrivergmx is a jewel in the rough
That quote is roughly 10% of the total cars value for a minor defect. A used OEM replacement goes for around $600 and is a bolt on part. If your lucky you may even find one with matching color. Run away!

Attached Images   

Last edited by drivergmx; 06-18-2016 at 10:18 AM.
Old 06-18-2016, 10:31 AM
rohnin is on a distinguished road
is the actual fender cracked or just the paint?

Old 06-18-2016, 10:55 AM
captain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to behold
I do not think that the price is unrealistic, considering what I have seen with modern day panel shop pricing, besides you would only pay the insurance excess?

Old 06-18-2016, 06:35 PM
Originally Posted by rohnin
is the actual fender cracked or just the paint?
it is actually cracked :-(

Old 06-18-2016, 06:37 PM
Originally Posted by captain Greg
I do not think that the price is unrealistic, considering what I have seen with modern day panel shop pricing, besides you would only pay the insurance excess?
I'm not planning on using my insurance, and just because they can doesn't mean they should lol

Old 06-18-2016, 09:59 PM
telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !
Pulling the fender to replace it is labor-intensive.
Repainting a large portion of the car to ensure the paint is matched is very expensive.

Reminds me of the systems development I do for my big boy job... an inexpensive fix can be an 80% solution, but that extra 20% is going to cost you a lot more. Just my two pennies.

Old 06-19-2016, 05:40 PM
embdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to behold
Is the fender aluminum ?
Just a thought. You can get a used fender on eBay. There is a company that sells a lot of used AM body parts. If you are not able to replace the fender yourself, take the used fender to a qualified body shop and have them paint it and replace the fender.

Old 06-19-2016, 06:19 PM
Hedged is a jewel in the roughHedged is a jewel in the roughHedged is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by telum01
Pulling the fender to replace it is labor-intensive.
Repainting a large portion of the car to ensure the paint is matched is very expensive.

Reminds me of the systems development I do for my big boy job... an inexpensive fix can be an 80% solution, but that extra 20% is going to cost you a lot more. Just my two pennies.
^^^^Yes
I had a friend who was quoted $2,200 for virtually the same small fender crack alone. Most of the cost was labor hours to remove all of the surrounding body parts, liners, etc. Seemed excessive to pull all of it off but it is what it is. My recollection is that the paint and fiberglass work was fairly reasonable.

Old 06-19-2016, 08:20 PM
DetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by alexhuth
I could ship the panels to your guy and have them fixed for that cheap!
Hell it would be cheaper to ship the whole car lol

I need to find a better place in the Austin area. Anyone know of anyone in Texas? I could totally go to Dallas or Houston.
Take it to Berli's for a bid. They are on the pricey side but do the best work in town

Old 06-19-2016, 11:32 PM
Originally Posted by DetomasoGTS74
Take it to Berli's for a bid. They are on the pricey side but do the best work in town
Yeah they are the ones that quoted me around 4-5k. Still waiting to hear what the quote would be if I just brought in the pieces though.

Old 06-20-2016, 10:30 AM
Hybrid will become famous soon enoughHybrid will become famous soon enough
I had similar damage, only it included wheel scratches.
Total cost was $7K not including rental car.
Glad the Asian lady who hit me was insured!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Am i about to be ripped off?