Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

V12 Vantage auto-kill if you spin too fast?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-29-2016, 12:07 PM
Matt2364 is an unknown quantity at this point
V12 Vantage auto-kill if you spin too fast?

Hey guys,

I was playing around with my 2011 V12 vantage in a parking lot last night...you all know where this is going...

I turned off the traction control completely and from a rolling start turned the wheel fully and put the pedal to the floor for a second or two and then released. The car probably made it through 3 full rotations and then automatically shut-off in a haze of tire smoke. I panicked for a second and thought I might have blown something. I depressed the ECU back in and it fired right back up.

What I am wondering is if the car is supposed to turn off like that? I am assuming it might have thought it was in an accident and hit the kill switch or something. Is this normal?

Thanks guys, I wish I would have had a gopro attached to document this event.

Old 06-29-2016, 12:19 PM
shootermcgav1n has a spectacular aura aboutshootermcgav1n has a spectacular aura about
you didn't immediately try again? :P

Old 06-29-2016, 12:28 PM
XJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond repute
Tsk, tsk, "turned the wheel fully". Blown power steering pump just waiting to happen. Good luck.

Old 06-29-2016, 01:27 PM
Originally Posted by XJRS Owner
Tsk, tsk, "turned the wheel fully". Blown power steering pump just waiting to happen. Good luck.

I don't think I turned it fully just using that to illustrate a good hard turn. I was not aware that was an issue though so thanks for the heads up.

Everything is just fine afterwards just trying to figure out if that was supposed to happen or not.

Old 06-29-2016, 01:28 PM
Originally Posted by shootermcgav1n
you didn't immediately try again? :P
Yeah, I debated it but figured I would wait until I am closer to replacing the tires before I start smoking them again.

Old 06-29-2016, 01:41 PM
DonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant future
An older post that you might not be aware of...

A five page thread on a similar event in a V8V...

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...-not-good.html

Old 06-29-2016, 01:59 PM
Originally Posted by DonL

Awesome, thanks Don.

My car was not leaking and no issues with steering or anything else I can feel but I will make a note to avoid those types of donuts in the future and will count myself lucky if no problems develop. The other posters that had issues had cars in the 35k mile range and mine only has 9k so hopefully the pumps etc. have less wear on them and were able to handle it a bit better without damaging anything.

I just thought it was weird the car cut out completely and turned off still. I have only had the car a few weeks so I am still exploring. Maybe a bit too aggressively it sounds like. I always just assumed these higher end cards were made to take a beating.

Last edited by Matt2364; 06-29-2016 at 02:05 PM.
Old 06-29-2016, 02:10 PM
DonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Matt2364
I just thought it was weird the car cut out completely and turned off still.
I presume it's a manual?
In the excitement of the moment, maybe you just forgot to depress the clutch at the end of the third loop and it just stalled?

Old 06-29-2016, 02:16 PM
shootermcgav1n has a spectacular aura aboutshootermcgav1n has a spectacular aura about

great read and thanks for sharing. i'm way too new to the car and still babying it to hoon it but this is definitely good knowledge. wonder what that replacement job ultimately cost him though.

Old 06-29-2016, 02:34 PM
I presume it's a manual?
In the excitement of the moment, maybe you just forgot to depress the clutch at the end of the third loop and it just stalled?
Haha, that is exactly what I happened I bet. I think you just hit the nail on the head. It is hard to say for sure but I have my money on that being what caused it to cut out. I do kind of remember my legs flying around a bit. My other car is an Audi S5 which I cannot do donuts in being AWD so I was taken off guard with how quickly the car was spinning. I would have to guess in 1 second I did three complete revolutions and the car basically just spun in place (I guess that is an indicator I turned the wheel too far).

So from what I read on the other thread it sounds like it is "fine" to do donuts as long as you are turning the wheel just a small amount. Does that sound like a fair assessment. Obviously everything in moderation. I am just talking about 2-3 revolutions at a time.

Old 06-29-2016, 03:24 PM
Originally Posted by Matt2364
So from what I read on the other thread it sounds like it is "fine" to do donuts as long as you are turning the wheel just a small amount. Does that sound like a fair assessment. Obviously everything in moderation. I am just talking about 2-3 revolutions at a time.
Personally, I'm having difficulty in understanding your desire to perform donuts in your Aston Martin. A pickup truck will give just as satisfying/exciting donuts.
In any event, here's another link to what may happen when you try to "impress" someone:

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...d-cracked.html

FYI, I track my Vantage several times a year, with enjoyable results. However, I've never subjected it to the stresses associated with the driving style you, or others, describe. They are reliable vehicles!
I drive it hard, but I don't abuse it. Currently at 43000 miles, I expect it to outlast my lifetime (FYI, I'm more than twice your age).
It appears that I'm just an "old fart"...drive it like you want, but be prepared that your driving style may have unexpected (expensive) consequences. ...(I'll get off my soapbox now).

And driving an Aston will give you more "grins per mile" than most any other make...

Old 06-29-2016, 03:40 PM
XJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond repute
If you want to act like a 'hoon', then you need to buy a different car.

Old 06-29-2016, 04:36 PM
Thanks for the advice guys. I have only done that once mainly to see what happened as I have never had a rear wheel drive car before. I think it was more of handling test to see how the car handled with the traction control off. After that first test though I put it back in track mode and figured it will stay there from now on.

I was doing this in a parking lot by myself at night so no one to impress just having a good old time with the new car. I don't really feel comfortable doing that kind of stuff with passengers as I am still learning the limits of the car.

I have a very healthy respect and care for my vantage and give it a thorough washing, check the fluids, etc. a few times a week. I guess you can say I am a little inexperienced in what you should or should not do in the car. I assumed the only potential downfall of some donuts would be excess wear on the tires and possibly bending the wheels over the long term if you hit some potholes etc.

You guys have definitely successfully scared me away from donuts in the future so thanks for stepping up on the soap box and preventing some expensive repairs.

"And driving an Aston will give you more "grins per mile" than most any other make..."
Very much agreed, I basically giggle still every time it fires up. There is not a better sounding car out there in my opinion.