Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Considering a 2014 - 2016 Vantage

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-21-2016, 05:49 PM
Prefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud of
On my 3rd vantage- a 2007 drove 25,000 aggressive miles in 2 years, clutch and brakes still good. A 2009, sportshift - 4th owner, clutch still good at 42,000 miles... 2015 sportshift - 0 problems with power train - minor warranty work only.

Old 07-25-2016, 10:28 AM
99Problems is on a distinguished road
Thanks for everyone's input. at 3 years, I plan on putting roughly 30K miles on the car, so its my believe a manual car (if driven correctly of course) should not need a clutch replacement during that time.

If anyone could also weigh in, on a 2014 model (and up) how is the fit and finish? I realize there can always be one off issues in any car, but anything that is a recurring theme of issue for owners in these later model years?

Old 07-25-2016, 03:25 PM
Hedged is a jewel in the roughHedged is a jewel in the roughHedged is a jewel in the rough
2014 V8 6 spd manual roadster, Quantum Silver over obsidian black interior, purchased new out of dealer inventory September 2014, driven 9,500 miles since. Superb well-balanced car that has been a non-fussy analog delight to own and drive. Still under warranty -- first year service $700 (Galpin LA), second year service $800 (Foreign Cars Italia Charlotte) -- and have had several leather trim issues, tail light condensation, and a cracked piano black fascia addressed under warranty....these issues have been experienced by many others and covered on various forum threads. The fit and finish on my car has been very good outside of this. My piano black fascia is unmarked, although a dust magnet at times, but I do have some very slight leather wear on the seat side next to the emergency brake (very common). The other commonality is brake dust from the OEM pads, a nuisance to clean but my wheels look great with a once or twice a month wash. No issues with the top, and it's great having a roadster. My car was fully optioned ($154K list) and I also have matching luggage (never for an airplane!). I've been lucky with the glass key and treat it like a gem, e.g. no house keys or coins in the same pocket. The $750 wind deflector was used once or twice and is effective, but not something I would deliberately purchase.
As for the clutch, I'm not sure what might be covered under an extended warranty, but I will say that the 6 spd is fantastic. Really smooth and effortless, and old-school in a good way. Agree with others who caution against reversing uphill unless it can't be avoided.
Mine is not a daily driver but it has capably handled both LA traffic and many more pleasant road trips. Best of luck in your search!

Old 07-25-2016, 03:30 PM
Thanks Hedged, very helpful. The service costs were actually less than I was budgeting, so that's good to know.

I do intend to put approx 10K a year on mine, so being robust under normal driving is a must. ? I didn't think to ask the dealer, do these manual have any kind of hill assist? In my current M3, I can step off the brake on a hill, and the car holds the break for 2 seconds on its own while I engage the clutch. 1st car I've ever owned that did that, but curious if the Aston does similar.

Old 07-25-2016, 03:56 PM
Hedged is a jewel in the roughHedged is a jewel in the roughHedged is a jewel in the rough
Yes to hill assist but not sure when that became available. Works as advertised and nice to have (a first for me too).
One other thing, being in California, I am sure you have included an egregious sales tax in your amortization exercise. CA+LA tax was literally highway robbery, as were the insurance rates, both driven by high value of course. But I have since moved to Charlotte and NC is known to have the lowest auto insurance rates nationwide...I'm easily paying 1/3rd of what I was in LA. Allstate in both cases.

Old 07-25-2016, 04:07 PM
I'm buying used, but yes, Sales tax is factored in as robbery... but not one i can avoid.

Haven't looked at insurance, but my next car was going to be in the 100K range regardless, so I don't presume the Vantage would be more than another similar 100K car.

Old 07-25-2016, 07:16 PM
sdcruiser is an unknown quantity at this point
Very encouraging news indeed for us future AM owners! Maintenance on AM costs as much as my BMW M3 car so thats good to know. Insurance, however is twice as much! I have State Farm and on a 2013 AM V8V with 100k value, they want almost $2800/year for full coverage! Still, its less than insurance on a Ferrari, Lamborghini or Audi R8.

Old 07-27-2016, 08:45 AM
Thanks folks for providing such helpful info. Hoping to button up a deal on one today :-)

Old 07-27-2016, 10:22 AM
sdcruiser is an unknown quantity at this point
Good luck! I have my eye on a few as well in San Diego for sale. Funny a used AM V8V costs less than same year Porsche 911 Turbo!