Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

What currently is the best wax to buy?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-25-2016, 05:38 PM
SheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to all
Originally Posted by randyb
+1 -- I use turtle wax and have been told many times by detailers that it is what you do before the wax goes on that makes the car look the best. Carnauba wax lasts longer, but I wax often so that is why I do not spend the extra coin on it.

Not sure how true this is, but I read that liquid wax give a better shine than paste wax, at least Consumer Reports thinks so.
Most all liquid waxes are sealants, paste waxes are typically carnauba

Sealant----- Synthetic paint protectant that gives some shine but main purpose is to have a protectant barrier for the paint and lasts about 5 months or so pending weather, garage, amount of washes, and heat.

Carnauba--- For the most part Natural wax that lasts usually no more than 4 weeks on the paint. The hotter it is the faster it melts off the paint. Depending on the manufacturing process materials are injected into yellow Wax to add gloss etc... Typically carnauba waxes give a depth to the surface and a warm glow to the paint. Usually used as a topper to a synthetic sealant.

Coatings---- Ceramic/glass--- synthetic chemical based coatings that protect the paint for up to several years. Can yellow under daily use and have to be maintained with proper type specific products to keep their gloss and protectant levels up to par. Expensive to apply and should only be done after a Paint Correction. Very difficult to remove if swirls are injected into the paint soon after application.

MY process------- 22ple HPC glass coating on WHEELS and Carbon Fiber bits only. Then AMMO Reflex (flexible coating that adds gloss and is a base layer for AMMO Skin which is a sealant. I apply the Reflex to all Paint, and body moldings then apply AMMO Skin, then Ammo Creme for the total protection package. Only need to apply Creme Carnauba when I feel Like It, and once every 6 months I re-apply the Reflex and Skin. All cars have been amazing.

Old 12-26-2016, 11:34 AM
randyb will become famous soon enoughrandyb will become famous soon enough
Good to know, thanks

Old 12-27-2016, 07:35 AM
Zettinger is a glorious beacon of lightZettinger is a glorious beacon of lightZettinger is a glorious beacon of lightZettinger is a glorious beacon of lightZettinger is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by SheriffDep
Most all liquid waxes are sealants, paste waxes are typically carnauba

Sealant----- Synthetic paint protectant that gives some shine but main purpose is to have a protectant barrier for the paint and lasts about 5 months or so pending weather, garage, amount of washes, and heat.

Carnauba--- For the most part Natural wax that lasts usually no more than 4 weeks on the paint. The hotter it is the faster it melts off the paint. Depending on the manufacturing process materials are injected into yellow Wax to add gloss etc... Typically carnauba waxes give a depth to the surface and a warm glow to the paint. Usually used as a topper to a synthetic sealant.

Coatings---- Ceramic/glass--- synthetic chemical based coatings that protect the paint for up to several years. Can yellow under daily use and have to be maintained with proper type specific products to keep their gloss and protectant levels up to par. Expensive to apply and should only be done after a Paint Correction. Very difficult to remove if swirls are injected into the paint soon after application.

MY process------- 22ple HPC glass coating on WHEELS and Carbon Fiber bits only. Then AMMO Reflex (flexible coating that adds gloss and is a base layer for AMMO Skin which is a sealant. I apply the Reflex to all Paint, and body moldings then apply AMMO Skin, then Ammo Creme for the total protection package. Only need to apply Creme Carnauba when I feel Like It, and once every 6 months I re-apply the Reflex and Skin. All cars have been amazing.
Great info! Thank you!

Would love to do a car care weekend with you.

Old 12-27-2016, 07:56 AM
SheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Zettinger
Great info! Thank you!

Would love to do a car care weekend with you.
Yes that would be great, and would love to do that but this might all have to wait another year till i get back from the Middle East. I will likely locate either near Tampa or Northern Virginia area when I get back. So some of you will be close, others not. However, I can answer most any question here, and give proper processes to what may be needed.

I will write up a Wash and Dry thread for both maintenance washes and if you want to strip the paint bare for paint corrections or stripping waxes. This will likely be all done in Jan, due to my time is limited here in the States right now.

1. Wash and Dry thread to include varying process depending equipment on hand
2. Paint Correction process --- what equipment is used, pictures and processes
3. Waxing, Sealing, Coating etc.... ----- what each means, how to apply the product, and what to expect out of the product. Will keep things in general, however will specify what I use personally and why.

Carnauba Waxes----- Ammo Creme, Pinnacle Souveran are my first choices, due to excellent products, and ease of application. There are others like Collinite, Blackfire, Chemical Guys, Dodo Juice, etc.... but I wanted a premium carnauba and the two I mentioned are best bang for the buck. There are ones like SwissVax and others that are Hundreds of dollars for just the Carnauba, but unless a big show, I would try them due to cost, I just don't think the product would be that much better to warrant the cost. But, I definitely wouldnt drop down to a $20 wax either. There are reason why things are cheap and are expensive. There is a happy medium to find and that is through experience and usage. What I think is best, or what you think is best may actually not be so always keep that in mind.

Similar to people who look at a car at a show, or AM dealer and say wow that is beautiful and so shiny. While I look at it and say----Geez, what a crappy dealer, they don't even care if its all swirled and marred up. They must not care about the car and customer to ruin a brand new car like that. Trained eye vs. untrained eye. However, once you start noticing the swirls while looking at the sun spot areas in sunlight you will then start looking everywhere. Then after you put in 20hrs + and correct your paint, you will really become picky about what touches your paint. OR, you pay someone like me $1500-2000 to do it for you, which by the way I DONT do for living or even want too. Just a hobby that became a disease. That is why all my cars are usually black, because I can keep them perfect, cut its a chore sometimes.

Old 12-27-2016, 09:19 PM
Argus will become famous soon enough
I have used Autoglym and it worked very well.

Old 12-28-2016, 07:28 AM
Zettinger is a glorious beacon of lightZettinger is a glorious beacon of lightZettinger is a glorious beacon of lightZettinger is a glorious beacon of lightZettinger is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by SheriffDep
Yes that would be great, and would love to do that but this might all have to wait another year till i get back from the Middle East. I will likely locate either near Tampa or Northern Virginia area when I get back. So some of you will be close, others not. However, I can answer most any question here, and give proper processes to what may be needed.

I will write up a Wash and Dry thread for both maintenance washes and if you want to strip the paint bare for paint corrections or stripping waxes. This will likely be all done in Jan, due to my time is limited here in the States right now.

1. Wash and Dry thread to include varying process depending equipment on hand
2. Paint Correction process --- what equipment is used, pictures and processes
3. Waxing, Sealing, Coating etc.... ----- what each means, how to apply the product, and what to expect out of the product. Will keep things in general, however will specify what I use personally and why.

Carnauba Waxes----- Ammo Creme, Pinnacle Souveran are my first choices, due to excellent products, and ease of application. There are others like Collinite, Blackfire, Chemical Guys, Dodo Juice, etc.... but I wanted a premium carnauba and the two I mentioned are best bang for the buck. There are ones like SwissVax and others that are Hundreds of dollars for just the Carnauba, but unless a big show, I would try them due to cost, I just don't think the product would be that much better to warrant the cost. But, I definitely wouldnt drop down to a $20 wax either. There are reason why things are cheap and are expensive. There is a happy medium to find and that is through experience and usage. What I think is best, or what you think is best may actually not be so always keep that in mind.

Similar to people who look at a car at a show, or AM dealer and say wow that is beautiful and so shiny. While I look at it and say----Geez, what a crappy dealer, they don't even care if its all swirled and marred up. They must not care about the car and customer to ruin a brand new car like that. Trained eye vs. untrained eye. However, once you start noticing the swirls while looking at the sun spot areas in sunlight you will then start looking everywhere. Then after you put in 20hrs + and correct your paint, you will really become picky about what touches your paint. OR, you pay someone like me $1500-2000 to do it for you, which by the way I DONT do for living or even want too. Just a hobby that became a disease. That is why all my cars are usually black, because I can keep them perfect, cut its a chore sometimes.
Very interesting. I love to take care of my cars as well as hobby.

My Aston had some professional coating on it when I got her and no obvious visible swirls. I didn't dare in the beginning to mess with the paint.

Now it is time to refresh the wax/ clean the paint but I ran out of my favorite wax.

I tried several different types of carnauba waxes over the years, however I always came back to SwissVax (or Swizol called outside US). From my experience this products hold at least twice as long as the competition.

Downside, it is expensive but I was a good hubby and my wifey got me a new Swissvax Concorso and leather care set.