Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

"Start" glass fell off... How to reattach?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-06-2016, 08:57 PM
mindscape9 is a name known to allmindscape9 is a name known to allmindscape9 is a name known to allmindscape9 is a name known to allmindscape9 is a name known to allmindscape9 is a name known to all
"Start" glass fell off... How to reattach?

Hey guys, weird occurrence.. Was driving the car tonight and the little piece of glass/plastic with "Start" written on it fell off. Was thinking that if I used some kind of glue to reattch, it would show through since it is clear.

Any idea how it is attached from the factory or tips on how to reattach?

Seems like it should be pretty easy to reattach, but if it is a hassle or needs some type special adhesive, I have the extended warranty... Maybe this is covered?

Picture of clear piece that fell off

Really clear so thinking glue would show through

Old 08-06-2016, 09:01 PM
Old phart is a jewel in the roughOld phart is a jewel in the roughOld phart is a jewel in the roughOld phart is a jewel in the rough
Start key is between front and rear bumper. Should be covered

Old 08-06-2016, 09:07 PM
mindscape9 is a name known to allmindscape9 is a name known to allmindscape9 is a name known to allmindscape9 is a name known to allmindscape9 is a name known to allmindscape9 is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Old phart
Start key is between front and rear bumper. Should be covered
They say "cosmetic" issues aren't covered under the extended warranty (at least that's what my dealer told me) as I had a little leather bubbling. That being said, the dealer contacted AM and said they would cover 40% of the cost of replacing the leather. Makes me wonder if stuff like this would be covered.

Old 08-07-2016, 12:30 AM
Timodc is a splendid one to beholdTimodc is a splendid one to beholdTimodc is a splendid one to beholdTimodc is a splendid one to beholdTimodc is a splendid one to beholdTimodc is a splendid one to beholdTimodc is a splendid one to beholdTimodc is a splendid one to behold
I use clear double-sided tesa tape. If you do it correctly, there will be no bubbles and tape is not even visible.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/262503941029

Old 08-07-2016, 05:04 AM
Montana107 is on a distinguished road
I had this same thing happen and the dealer wanted to install an entirely new key mechanism... I might try this tape trick. Thanks!

Old 08-07-2016, 06:10 AM
SheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to all
You could say you don't know how to start it now. That could be a functional part of the vehicle, I am sure someone could articulate that somehow. Would sound ridiculous, however might get paid for. Bad when AMs just start falling apart going down the road.

Old 08-07-2016, 06:55 AM
Thanks for the responses guys. I'm going to pop into the dealer tomorrow and see what they say about this. If replacing the start mechanism is truly the only way to "factory fix" this, might as well see if I can get it replaced under the extended warranty. I have a pretty good relationship with the guys there so hopefully I won't have to resort to any verbal trickery. The double sided tape seems like an excellent fix if the dealer doesn't cover it.

It is a little ridiculous for things like this to be happening in a pampered, low mileage (12k), MY12 vehicle. I've already had the dash and speed hump leather, as well as a cracked waterfall replaced under the standard warranty (I use a sun shade religiously but am the 2nd owner) , and now in the 4th year, the speed hump leather is starting to bubble again and this issue. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad it's not the mechanical things going wrong, but think it's crazy that these things are clearly common issues but aren't covered under a very high priced extended factory warranty.

I'll post an update once I get a chance to talk to the dealer.

Old 08-07-2016, 08:01 AM
Old phart is a jewel in the roughOld phart is a jewel in the roughOld phart is a jewel in the roughOld phart is a jewel in the rough
Extended warranties It'll cover everything - except for that.

Maybe I've been lucky but have never done the extended warranties on anything. Can fix most issues that come up myself and have been fortunate not to be hit with anything really expensive going bad.

Old 08-07-2016, 01:43 PM
C4Sbeebe Is a GOD !C4Sbeebe Is a GOD !C4Sbeebe Is a GOD !C4Sbeebe Is a GOD !C4Sbeebe Is a GOD !C4Sbeebe Is a GOD !C4Sbeebe Is a GOD !C4Sbeebe Is a GOD !C4Sbeebe Is a GOD !C4Sbeebe Is a GOD !C4Sbeebe Is a GOD !
if you don't want it to fall out again, the slightest dab of crazy glue will likely hold it forever and not show.

Old 08-07-2016, 01:57 PM
Timodc is a splendid one to beholdTimodc is a splendid one to beholdTimodc is a splendid one to beholdTimodc is a splendid one to beholdTimodc is a splendid one to beholdTimodc is a splendid one to beholdTimodc is a splendid one to beholdTimodc is a splendid one to behold
After almost 20 years of working on cars... I will say that I only use crazy glue on is small cuts on my hands and fingers. Doesn't last on cars when the temp changes more than 20 degrees and can be messy if used incorrectly.

Old 08-07-2016, 02:09 PM
EZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud of
When I purchased my AM that part of the key did not fall off but was foggy and not attractive. You don't need an entire start mechanism. The key when being removed may rub against it and will continue to give you a problem. I was able to order both the Engine and Start portion of the start mechanism and replaced them myself. Because it is part of the start mechanism it should be covered under warrantee.

Old 08-07-2016, 07:19 PM
Montana107 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by EZ Cookin
When I purchased my AM that part of the key did not fall off but was foggy and not attractive. You don't need an entire start mechanism. The key when being removed may rub against it and will continue to give you a problem. I was able to order both the Engine and Start portion of the start mechanism and replaced them myself. Because it is part of the start mechanism it should be covered under warrantee.
EZ,

Did the new parts come with adhesive from the factory on them? How did you install them?

Thanks!

Old 08-08-2016, 08:45 AM
EZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud of
The new piece is actually over an inch thick and slides into place. It looks like the top portion of the actual piece came off on yours. You can see here what the replacement part looks like here.
https://astonmartinbits.com/models/5...age/parts/1591

Old 08-08-2016, 10:34 AM
Quick update for you guys.

I took the car in this morning and the service manager said they had the part in stock, and if it was covered under the warranty, they could get it replaced today.

Later in the morning, I got a call saying that initially the AM rep for the extended warranty had denied the repair, claiming that it was a piece of trim. The service manager sent some pics, went back and forth with him a bit, and eventually they agreed to cover it based on the fact that it is attached to the start mechanism.

So long story short - it did get covered under the extended warranty and seems like an easy fix. He did say that they are just replacing the "start" piece as EZ mentioned, and not the entire assembly.

Old 08-08-2016, 12:46 PM
Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !
Will they allow you to keep the parts they remove? If so, I could use the top part that reads, "ENGINE", as mine fell off and I don't have it.
CATTMAN

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: "Start" glass fell off... How to reattach?