Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

It's Alive!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-27-2016, 05:49 PM
Former Vendor
C1Forged will become famous soon enough
This build is coming out extremely well, I love the color combo you're going with, and your Aston is my dream weekend cruiser. Cant wait to see the finished build.

Old 09-27-2016, 06:01 PM
EZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud of
What an amazing project. Still drooling over the gold Aston Martin Wings!

Old 09-27-2016, 08:45 PM
pikajew is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by EZ Cookin
What an amazing project. Still drooling over the gold Aston Martin Wings!
Thanks. I'm also doing a complete crystal key conversion (08 roadster) and I worked with AMBits to get all the necessary parts. I'm going to shadow the installer and take pics and provide a complete how to with part numbers for anyone who wants to loose the Volvo key fob... You will loose steering lock functionality unless you live near Bamford Rose (which I do not - Beverly Hills) because Mike can create bespoke coding for your ECU. Of course I also had the new "engine/start" switch surround and actual crystal key fob sides plated gold to match!

Carbon is coming along nicely too!

Old 09-27-2016, 09:36 PM
Oh also doing a new steering wheel from Ivan @ DCTMotorsports, but with yellow striping at the 12 o'clock and I'm sending him the same yellow thread that I'm using for my new interior work done by New Life Upholstery.

Old 09-28-2016, 08:25 AM

Old 09-28-2016, 07:33 PM
Basic Sponsor
Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
Lose the steering lock?

Btw, the "newer" remotes are just another remodelled version of the Aston Volvo style remotes, just has a different case. You can take the circuit board from your old remote and swap into the new remove. That will work for the door locks, now for the ignition. Just rip out the key loop area from the metal tibbe key and you should find the chip inside..now just swap into the new remote case.

No need to lose the steering lock or code any key for your project :-)

Old 09-28-2016, 09:19 PM
Originally Posted by irish07
Lose the steering lock?

Btw, the "newer" remotes are just another remodelled version of the Aston Volvo style remotes, just has a different case. You can take the circuit board from your old remote and swap into the new remove. That will work for the door locks, now for the ignition. Just rip out the key loop area from the metal tibbe key and you should find the chip inside..now just swap into the new remote case.

No need to lose the steering lock or code any key for your project :-)
After talking with Mike at Bamford Rose, it's my understanding that it is possible to transfer ignition on / off control and engine starting from conventional key to glass key however, it is not possible to get the electronic steering lock function to work - at least without the car being in their workshop with a few engineers doing their stuff to enable. (The electronic steering lock function is controlled by the engine control ECU and there is no ECU program from factory for my 4.3 engine which has an algorithm of the electronic steering lock function. The engine controller gives signal to the body module and likewise, there is no body control module file either. The project will need bespoke files that factory will probably not code, but folks at Bamford Roae can.)

What that means is that I will loose the functionality of steering lock by removing the conventional lock / barrel mechanical system.

The mechanical steering lock is obviously not enabled or monitored by an electrical system, meaning that I can completely remove the system and if it's not present, there will be no adverse effect.

So yes, this means the job I need to do is make the glass key docking station behave the same way as the mechanical staged ignition switch, and graft my old remote fob buttons into the new glass key fob. And finally, wire the security crystal receiver from the ignition barrel into the new docking station, so the crystal out of the key I put into the glass key enables the car's security systems.

So yes, mechanical steering lock will be omitted with the only downside being loss of a security feature.

The job entails (besides getting the physical parts):

(1) Wiring of the ignition barrel needs to port across to docking station to give all stages of system power up and engine start.

(2) Crystal security chip in body of key needs to go into glass key, and the reader of crystal in ignition barrel needs to be wired into docking station and be in sufficient proximity to glass key when inserted into docking station.

(3) The inputs from crank enable signal (red light) function from current button needs to port across into docking station, and when engine has started, the start signal needs to port across into docking station to inhibit further cranking.

Viola!

Old 09-29-2016, 05:10 AM
BMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant future
Great project.

If I can offer a small tip? In regard to the angel eyes (halos) that you are installing you might consider frosting the lens so the LED's are not visible when the car is off in daylight. This is easily accomplished by some fine sanding prior to install to give them an opaque appearance. It's a preference thing but most LED's after a short while exposed to UV develop an awful yellowish hue that is masked by the frosting. Plus the added diffraction really makes the glow evenly. Looking forward to seeing this complete.

LED's are visible through the clear halo lens

Here's one being sanded prior to going in a BMW

Old 09-29-2016, 11:23 AM
Originally Posted by BMW-North
Great project.

If I can offer a small tip? In regard to the angel eyes (halos) that you are installing you might consider frosting the lens so the LED's are not visible when the car is off in daylight. This is easily accomplished by some fine sanding prior to install to give them an opaque appearance. It's a preference thing but most LED's after a short while exposed to UV develop an awful yellowish hue that is masked by the frosting. Plus the added diffraction really makes the glow evenly. Looking forward to seeing this complete.

LED's are visible through the clear halo lens

Here's one being sanded prior to going in a BMW

Thanks for the tip! Much appreciated!

Old 09-29-2016, 11:29 AM
Thanks to Tony Hall for going back to the drawing board to get a 23ct plated sill plate made for me!

He's the best!

Old 09-29-2016, 01:03 PM
SheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to all
Originally Posted by pikajew
Thanks to Tony Hall for going back to the drawing board to get a 23ct plated sill plate made for me!

He's the best!

Did he keep that last Karat for himself during the process?

Old 09-29-2016, 01:13 PM
Originally Posted by SheriffDep
Did he keep that last Karat for himself during the process?
Lol. I'm just a big tipper. Actually, the in-tank gold plating solution produces a hard gold deposit of 99.8% purity. This equates to 23 carat. A very small amount of cobalt is co-deposited which makes the deposit harder and more wear-resistant than pure gold.

Old 09-29-2016, 01:20 PM
SheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to all
Originally Posted by pikajew
Lol. I'm just a big tipper. Actually, the in-tank gold plating solution produces a hard gold deposit of 99.8% purity. This equates to 23 carat. A very small amount of cobalt is co-deposited which makes the deposit harder and more wear-resistant than pure gold.
Very very very interested in the process for the Crystal Fob like I am sure many others on here are also. I am getting several of the Jag fobs made up that a thread covered so will be ok, But I like modernizing the looks. You did have to get a new Waterfall didnt you? I was thinking the hole size was larger on those?

IF so, what was your old one covered with?

Old 09-29-2016, 01:50 PM
Basic Sponsor
Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
That's an amazing build. Congratulations !!!

206 Maple Avenue
Oliver, BC
Canada V2A 4W6
Office: (1)250-485-5126
www.velocityap.com
Old 09-29-2016, 05:16 PM
Originally Posted by SheriffDep
Very very very interested in the process for the Crystal Fob like I am sure many others on here are also. I am getting several of the Jag fobs made up that a thread covered so will be ok, But I like modernizing the looks. You did have to get a new Waterfall didnt you? I was thinking the hole size was larger on those?

IF so, what was your old one covered with?
Correct, AMBits supplied me with a new ski slope. Old one is the metal variant and finish is piano black. I suppose I will end up selling it, along with my clear tails with grey trim (I bought a pair of carbon edition ones for the black trim).

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: It's Alive!