Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Preparation for xpel paint protection wrap

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-14-2016, 03:45 PM
Jagman70 is on a distinguished road
Preparation for xpel paint protection wrap

I am going to have xpel ultimate wrap applied to the front bumper, hood, mirrors, fenders and side skirts on my Vantage. In addition to doing a clay bar cleaning should I have any wax, etc. applied before wrapping?

Old 09-14-2016, 04:47 PM
Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !
Absolutely not. Any film needs to be put directly on the clearcoat itself. A wipe down with a mixture or water and isopropyl alcohol 50/50 is a good way to ensure that there is no wax or sealant on the paint. Are you doing the Xpel yourself? If not, your installer should be doing all the prep, possibly including a multi-step polish, for you.
CATTMAN

Old 09-14-2016, 10:40 PM
EZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud of
No wax! The company doing the application should do a paint correction prior to putting on the Xpel.

Old 09-15-2016, 06:21 AM
XJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond repute
I've washed and waxed all my cars the night before having film applied, then let the guys do whatever they need to do to apply the film. The company I use don't do paint correction, so I want to make sure the surface is perfectly clean and shiny before film app.

Old 09-15-2016, 06:42 AM
SheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to all
Originally Posted by XJRS Owner
I've washed and waxed all my cars the night before having film applied, then let the guys do whatever they need to do to apply the film. The company I use don't do paint correction, so I want to make sure the surface is perfectly clean and shiny before film app.
They likely wiped it down with an IPA so the clearcoat was bare. However that doesn't mean you didn't polish up the clearcoat when you applied the sealant.

Typically I recommend, there are several posts on this process, to have a Paint Correction done on the car before applying any PPF. Reason for this is to remove all defects from the paint (swirls, scratches, marring) and then polish the paint to perfection. Then apply the PPF. That way the highest shine level is still present.

There are just a few PPF installers who don't recommend that process, due to the PPF slightly diminishes any swirls or marring. But the results are not the same, and a correction and polish first will provide the best results.

You are likely going to have the PPF applied, and then it will be that way till you sell the car. So for the whole time the paint under it could be better. If you don't care, then apply away. But if you want the paint to be the best it can, then do the paint correction first.

Also, to diminish wear and tear and provide UV protection to the PPF, it is recommended to still apply a sealant to the PPF also. Just like you would for the rest of the car several times a year.

Old 09-15-2016, 10:03 AM
Jagman70 is on a distinguished road
Thanks for all your advice. I will have a paint correction done before the wrap goes on.