Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Rough 1st gear

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-17-2016, 11:57 AM
nittany is on a distinguished road
Rough 1st gear

Hi All,

I have a base 2012 Vantage. Had the car since March and love it. One thing I am noticing more of is when I drive slow in first gear (less than 7/6 mph), the car sometimes get very jerky with my foot off the clutch. If I don't press the clutch at that time and just give more gas, the car continues to jerk and gets more violent with more gas. But if I press the clutch, the jerking goes away. The reason I have to drive slow in first gear is because I live in a condo and park it in a 4 story garage. With speed bumps and turn, I can't really drive more than 10 mph.

This doesn't happen on normal road driving as I am able to give more gas. I drove my buddy's 2013 Vantage S and his 1st gear is much smoother than mine and didn't experience the jerking driving it in a parking garage.

I asked my mechanic about it and he said it's probably the gearing of the Vantage and the S is probably geared different.

Do you guys have any thoughts?

Old 09-17-2016, 12:08 PM
omegaSMP300 will become famous soon enough
All to common with the Sport Shift gear boxes unfortunate and surprising that it is happening with your manual though.

Old 09-17-2016, 04:28 PM
embdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to behold
These engines don't have a lot of torque. What torque they do have in not available at low rpm's. I have to push in the clutch at anything below 1500 rpm to keep the engine from jerking. Unfortunately with a sporshift you don't have that option.

Old 09-18-2016, 03:35 AM
007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of
Common feature of a spring hub clutch combined with a heavy flywheel that our vintages have. The ECU idle control anti-stall feature is just trying to prevent the motor from stalling. Both my 07s did that.

Old 09-18-2016, 05:05 PM
mkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud of
Unfortunately you have to slip a clutch a bit before letting out if you want to get moving in 1st gear at a very slow speed.

1st gear is very sensitive to heavy inputs, between engine braking and you giving it gas, the car can get very rough. Some times I end up going into 2nd at those speeds.