Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Secondary cat delete on the cheap!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-03-2016, 06:56 AM
SinisterSF is on a distinguished road
Secondary cat delete on the cheap!

I know I've seen threads about buying ridiculously over priced secondary cat deletes and other mods that cost a fortune. But I wanted to approach my AM like I have every other hot rod I've tweaked over the years. I don't use other people's stuff unless I have to. Since prices quadruple as soon as you say it's for an Aston Martin I decided to just order some tubing for $87 (link below) and weld it in myself. There something like 22 bolts holding the skid plate on. Lift the car, zip that off, remove the secondary cat pipes, then measure the length of the cat itself. Then pop it in the ol chop saw... zip zap, weld in the straight pipe and reinstall. Voila... cat deletes for under $100. I'll post a video of the sound with the deletes and #22 fuse out.

I like it, not quite as loud as I'd like it, but it's an AM, not a dragged out Camaro.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/Vibrant-Performance-2648-304-SS-Straight-Tubing-40-2-75-quot-OD-5-39-Length-41-/311499696565?txnId=700975344021

Last edited by telum01; 10-03-2016 at 07:42 AM.
Old 10-03-2016, 09:03 AM
SheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to all
Originally Posted by SinisterSF
I know I've seen threads about buying ridiculously over priced secondary cat deletes and other mods that cost a fortune. But I wanted to approach my AM like I have every other hot rod I've tweaked over the years. I don't use other people's stuff unless I have to. Since prices quadruple as soon as you say it's for an Aston Martin I decided to just order some tubing for $87 (link below) and weld it in myself. There something like 22 bolts holding the skid plate on. Lift the car, zip that off, remove the secondary cat pipes, then measure the length of the cat itself. Then pop it in the ol chop saw... zip zap, weld in the straight pipe and reinstall. Voila... cat deletes for under $100. I'll post a video of the sound with the deletes and #22 fuse out.

I like it, not quite as loud as I'd like it, but it's an AM, not a dragged out Camaro.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/Vibrant-Perfor...d=700975344021

Telum01 is helping me out with all my modifications. I have never even seen my car let alone touch it, or hear it. But, it will be totally modified in most every aspect (in keeping with AM spirit) here soon. I really wanted to try having straight pipes put in place, however two things 1. I likely will be moving to Va in a year or so and will have to get it inspected there, so might need the originals put back in. 2. I didn't like the way they physically looked on my AMG when they were done on that, and had a pin hole leak on a weld. So, just said why not spend $600 more and be done with it and not worry, plus if I ever sell the car, rip them out and sell separately. But, I tend to agree with your thoughts if done properly and if your capable. Maybe Stuart could pipe in to give any reason why his pipes would be better than doing this, other than aesthetic reasons.

Old 10-03-2016, 09:57 AM
telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by SheriffDep
Maybe Stuart could pipe in to give any reason why his pipes would be better than doing this, other than aesthetic reasons.
There's a lot that goes into making a finished product.

The time it takes to create it:
Removing the part from the car, taking measurements, creating a jig, creating a prototype, fitting the prototype, testing the prototype, fixing or changing the design as necessary and retesting any changes, setting up production, working with suppliers and vendors, setting up marketing materials and product listings, and dealing with customers.

The costs of creating it:
The materials and shipping for them, paying labor rates for the people doing all the stuff listed in "time" above, the cost of buying and maintaining tools, the cost for prototype(s) which typically don't get sold so they're a sunk cost, and the cost of creating the actual production items.

The cost of running a business:
Taxes, the cost of employees in addition to simple labor rates, taxes, profit margins, taxes, taxes, overhead and operations (staff, facilities rent and utilities, costs of forum sponsorships, taxes, and inventory), and taxes.

As for people spending money on a finished product:
A lot of people don't have the time or inclination to rig up an exhaust, even if it saves them some money. Many customers don't have the time, or the interest, or financial concerns for hitting up an exhaust shop to make something custom.

I'm not criticizing a DIY exhaust (obviously I'm a big fan of DIY stuff). Just trying to help answer some questions. When accounting for all the costs involved with a finished product AND the very small market, you get a relatively high price. You're also buying something that's been tested to work, so there's less concern of issues afterwards.

Last edited by telum01; 10-03-2016 at 10:03 AM.
Old 10-03-2016, 10:47 AM
Zettinger is a glorious beacon of lightZettinger is a glorious beacon of lightZettinger is a glorious beacon of lightZettinger is a glorious beacon of lightZettinger is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by SinisterSF

http://m.ebay.com/itm/Vibrant-Perfor...d=700975344021
Very Nice!!!

Looking forward to the sound clip.

Did you keep the measurements and plans?

Old 10-03-2016, 11:13 AM
spikemd is just really nicespikemd is just really nicespikemd is just really nicespikemd is just really nice
Pics of the final product?

Simple exhaust tubing is not rocket science, but many people lack the welding skills to pull it off. A simple bolt-on solution will always cost more. You might be surprised at how inexpensive some custom work can be.

Old 10-03-2016, 12:13 PM
SheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to all
Originally Posted by telum01

Removing the part from the car, taking measurements, creating a jig, creating a prototype, fitting the prototype, testing the prototype, fixing or changing the design as necessary and retesting any changes, setting up production, working with suppliers and vendors, setting up marketing materials and product listings, and dealing with customers.

The materials and shipping for them, paying labor rates for the people doing all the stuff listed in "time" above, the cost of buying and maintaining tools, the cost for prototype(s) which typically don't get sold so they're a sunk cost, and the cost of creating the actual production items.

Taxes, the cost of employees in addition to simple labor rates, taxes, profit margins, taxes, taxes, overhead and operations (staff, facilities rent and utilities, costs of forum sponsorships, taxes, and inventory), and taxes.

A lot of people don't have the time or inclination to rig up an exhaust, even if it saves them some money. Many customers don't have the time, or the interest, or financial concerns for hitting up an exhaust shop to make something custom.

I'm not criticizing a DIY exhaust (obviously I'm a big fan of DIY stuff). Just trying to help answer some questions. When accounting for all the costs involved with a finished product AND the very small market, you get a relatively high price. You're also buying something that's been tested to work, so there's less concern of issues afterwards.
Yep, you are right on all that. Obviously that is the route I went and am happy that I did. However, I really meant the design part. The Velocity AP pipes seem to not be just straight pipes and have an area that tapers down a bit. I just wonder on the design if they are meant that way, how it possibly helps, or controls the exhaust in any way. I like the idea of bolt on and bolt off and keep the originals the OEM way, rather than cut sections off the OEM system, preventing easy installation of the OEM section if ever needed; AND the system will look like it did originally instead of having welds all over it. So, expensive, but keeps things in line with returning the car to OEM if wanted down the road. Just like we tend to do when modding a part, we buy a spare to mod, then keep the original.

Old 10-03-2016, 08:04 PM
Originally Posted by SheriffDep
Yep, you are right on all that. Obviously that is the route I went and am happy that I did. However, I really meant the design part. The Velocity AP pipes seem to not be just straight pipes and have an area that tapers down a bit. I just wonder on the design if they are meant that way, how it possibly helps, or controls the exhaust in any way. I like the idea of bolt on and bolt off and keep the originals the OEM way, rather than cut sections off the OEM system, preventing easy installation of the OEM section if ever needed; AND the system will look like it did originally instead of having welds all over it. So, expensive, but keeps things in line with returning the car to OEM if wanted down the road. Just like we tend to do when modding a part, we buy a spare to mod, then keep the original.
I'll give it to you on having a spare, usually a good plan. However, I'm planning on being buried in this car so I'm making it mine. I'm not preserving a car for the next guy like so many owners. So I'm all about making it mine and to hell with the resale, besides, Aston's take forever to sell anyways. I would wait to find that specific buyer that is looking for the car that's already had a ton of mods done so he doesn't have to do them.

Old 10-03-2016, 08:06 PM
Originally Posted by spikemd
Pics of the final product?

Simple exhaust tubing is not rocket science, but many people lack the welding skills to pull it off. A simple bolt-on solution will always cost more. You might be surprised at how inexpensive some custom work can be.
I did not take any pics while I was doing it. I'm doing the brakes and fluid this weekend so I'll crawl under and snap some pics best I can without having to remove the skid plate.

Old 10-03-2016, 08:15 PM
Originally Posted by telum01

Oh I'm well aware of all the costs that go in to a product. I ran a custom shop for a while and I was constantly having the explain why parts cost so much. Sometimes bolt on is hands down the way to go, but I have never seen such bloated pricing as I have since I started buying for an Aston. I imagine Ferrari, Lambo, and all the exotics are the same way. Yea I guess I see what you're saying that it's a smaller market so sellers will try to compensate by valuing things higher. But you really hit the nail on the head when you say buyers don't have don't have the time, or the interest, or financial concerns to do custom stuff themselves. I started off as a kid with a wrench fixing all the neighbor bikes, scooters, and go karts, so I suppose you could say I'm in to it. I enjoy the work, but mostly, just because I can afford something doesn't mean I want to spend more. I always look for the better deal and sometimes that means getting my hands dirty.

Old 10-04-2016, 03:11 PM
embdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to behold
If you remove the cats and install a straight through pipe won't the computer throw an error code?

Old 10-04-2016, 04:34 PM
Originally Posted by embdenb
If you remove the cats and install a straight through pipe won't the computer throw an error code?
Not from the secondary cats. If you remove the first cats you have to reprogram the computer to avoid a CEL. I don't recommend it unless you're racing.

Old 10-05-2016, 04:15 PM
Here's a quick vid a shot in the garage. I'll try to do a better one this weekend.

Old 10-05-2016, 07:24 PM
skeena river rove is on a distinguished road
Very cool sounds. I like how raw it sounds. If you make a new vid can maybe hold the throttle at 3500 rpm for a couple seconds? Would be interesting how it sounds.

Old 10-05-2016, 07:31 PM
Originally Posted by skeena river rove
Very cool sounds. I like how raw it sounds. If you make a new vid can maybe hold the throttle at 3500 rpm for a couple seconds? Would be interesting how it sounds.
Will do, I'll probably suction cup it to the bumper for a little cruise and do a couple drive by's also.

You really only notice the cat deletes when you get on it. It's not annoying going down the highway and idle isn't much louder.

Old 10-09-2016, 06:27 AM
I was doing the brakes this weekend so I snapped a pic of the pipe for you guys. It's not show quality or anything but it gets the job done.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Secondary cat delete on the cheap!