Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Refinished wood, console, Grom Bluetooth Installed

Old 10-20-2016, 06:41 PM
zuman is a splendid one to beholdzuman is a splendid one to beholdzuman is a splendid one to beholdzuman is a splendid one to beholdzuman is a splendid one to beholdzuman is a splendid one to beholdzuman is a splendid one to beholdzuman is a splendid one to behold
Refinished wood, console, Grom Bluetooth Installed

I've ALMOST finished reassembling my '06 DB9 Volante interior, but I'm too happy and tired to wait until I'm completely done to post this...
It started out with my wood beginning to fade in a number of places. Then there was a hairline crack in the nav door, and a few tiny chips. I also had developed some scratches in the plastic radio panel and a small ding in the metal console section that has the small bin and ashtray. It doesn't look too bad here, but it was quite noticeable from the seats.

So I decided to have the wood refinished. I used Madera Concepts and it's gorgeous. This low-res photo doesn't do it justice.
While the console was apart, I decided to have the radio and lower panels wrapped. Hey, the radio panel's only plastic, so it didn't feel too sacrilegious. I used a local firm, Shadowgraphix out of Indianapolis. I also replaced the PRND buttons with the glass switches. Sorry for the picture quality.

Seeing as the console was apart anyway, I replaced the CD unit with the Grom MST4. Installation was very easy. I've lost the ability to play CDs, but I now have true Bluetooth functionality. I can play music wirelessly from my iPhone, I can make and receive phone calls through the stereo system, and I have a both a USB port and an Aux-in jack. This is Dylan's "Tangled Up In Blue," and the song title scrolls through the display.

I'm sure I'll have more over the next few days. And I've still gotta reinstall the refinished door caps...

Old 10-20-2016, 08:40 PM
speedracer800 is a jewel in the roughspeedracer800 is a jewel in the roughspeedracer800 is a jewel in the rough
Congrats! Looks fantastic! I've looked at their website in the past and those guys sure seem to be the leader in refinishing of wood interior pieces. Fabulous transformation!

I love the interiors of our cars and particularly like the natural wood finish. I hope Aston Martin doesn't completely go away from it in the future.. I think it's timeless. Bravo! Wonderful job!

Old 10-20-2016, 09:10 PM
blue2000s is a jewel in the roughblue2000s is a jewel in the roughblue2000s is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by zuman
Hey, the radio panel's only plastic, so it didn't feel too sacrilegious.
It's metal, cast aluminum I believe.

Old 10-20-2016, 09:55 PM
sdekoning is a splendid one to beholdsdekoning is a splendid one to beholdsdekoning is a splendid one to beholdsdekoning is a splendid one to beholdsdekoning is a splendid one to beholdsdekoning is a splendid one to beholdsdekoning is a splendid one to behold
Looks fab! I would only consider Tony hall's **** upgrade to finish it off.

Old 10-20-2016, 10:33 PM
shootermcgav1n has a spectacular aura aboutshootermcgav1n has a spectacular aura about
very nice updates. don't know much about the grom unit, what does it do exactly and did you install it yourself?

Old 10-21-2016, 05:37 AM
zuman is a splendid one to beholdzuman is a splendid one to beholdzuman is a splendid one to beholdzuman is a splendid one to beholdzuman is a splendid one to beholdzuman is a splendid one to beholdzuman is a splendid one to beholdzuman is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by blue2000s
It's metal, cast aluminum I believe.
Sorry, the panel with the clock, the radio, and the climate ***** is plastic. Much to my wife's chagrin, it sat on our dining room table for two weeks and we're both very familiar with it!
The panel below that - the one with the ashtray and leather-lined cubby - is cast aluminum, though.

Old 10-21-2016, 05:53 AM
1) You're right about the climate control *****. I ordered the aluminum ones on ebay and returned them because they were not good quality. Everyone says that Tony's are top-notch.
2) The Grom unit plugs into the optical loop, accepting the connector that previously was the data connection from the cd player. It's small - not much bigger than a deck of playing cards - and has three ports. One is a USB, while the other two accept a range of cables they supply. I have the USB extended to the leather-lined tray in front of the ashtray, where I also have a female mini-plug connector to provide an Aux-in connection. One of the connector ports has a Bluetooth dongle attached to it. There's also a new remote mic included. You can connect iPhones and Android phones via Bluetooth with full audio functionality. You could, of course, also plug them in to the Aux-in or even, with an adapter, to the USB. You can also plug a USB thumb drive into the USB port and the unit will play any music you have on the thumb drive.
Installation was VERY simple. The biggest challenges were routing the mic cable and re-inserting the plugs in all the connectors in the back of the panel.

Old 10-21-2016, 06:52 AM
Old phart is a jewel in the roughOld phart is a jewel in the roughOld phart is a jewel in the roughOld phart is a jewel in the rough
I've got the same issues with my center panel. Not sure I'm going to stick with wood.
Thanks for sharing.

Old 10-21-2016, 10:40 AM
LIDB9 is on a distinguished road
Have you any pictures of the Grom install and which model did you get,thx

Old 10-21-2016, 02:09 PM
Originally Posted by LIDB9
Have you any pictures of the Grom install and which model did you get,thx
The red arrow is pointing at the Grom. I ended up attaching it to the frame to its left with double-faced tape. The CD player previously occupied the space to its right (you can see the radio optical connector with its orange pipes to the right; they are routed up to the space above).

Here's the order confirmation from Grom, outlining what they sent me:

GROM-MST4 Android iPhone AUX for Volvo XC90 02-06, Bluetooth optional (VOLXCO4) - 1 pcs x 324.99
GROM In-Car Bluetooth Extension for select GROM kits, 10FT (BTD) - 1 pcs x 49.99
AUX-IN 3.5mm audio and 5V USB Charging cable , 5FT (35USB) - 1 pcs x 14.99
USB and AUX 3.5mm Extension Cable w/two dash mounting options (C-FM35USB) - 1 pcs x 19.99
Columbus Day Special - $15 OFF GROM-MST4 Car Kit (DISCOVER15) - 1 pcs x -15.00
Notes: /car make:2006 Aston Martin DB9

Last edited by zuman; 10-21-2016 at 02:12 PM.
Old 10-21-2016, 11:13 PM
shootermcgav1n has a spectacular aura aboutshootermcgav1n has a spectacular aura about
Interesting. Did you have just a CD player or a 6 disc changer system?

Old 10-22-2016, 09:22 AM
mkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud of
Looks great! I love the wood falls, I've always wanted a bamboo waterfall but the vantages never came with them. In retrospect I dont think I would be able to sell a car with bamboo waterfall haha

Old 10-22-2016, 05:04 PM
Side-by-side consoles

New version with refinished wood, glass PRND switches, and wrapped radio/clock/climate panel on left, old version with faded wood, plastic switches, and original panel finish on right.
Btw, as you can see, the original leather over the airbag cover was shrinking and pulled up the corner of the panel. It eventually retracted, leaving a bare corner of plastic, so I printed a DB9 logo on a foil label and stuck it over the gap until I can afford to either reupholster or buy a new panel!

Last edited by zuman; 10-22-2016 at 09:58 PM.
Old 10-22-2016, 05:07 PM
Originally Posted by shootermcgav1n
Interesting. Did you have just a CD player or a 6 disc changer system?
6 disc, Linn 950watt system.

Old 10-22-2016, 07:30 PM
BillV8V has a spectacular aura aboutBillV8V has a spectacular aura aboutBillV8V has a spectacular aura about
That looks great !!!!!

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.