Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Rapide Owners

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-04-2016, 05:30 PM
irvineboy is on a distinguished road
Rapide Owners

I was set on a manual v8 vantage. But now with a need of more seats, we are thinking of the Rapide. Yes, a DB9 has four seats but is more expensive. I have not driven the Rapide yet and honestly, am not completely sold on the looks. I love the proportions of the Vantage, and think it is best looking car. The handling is stellar but its obviously a much smaller car. The Rapide, just looks a litte too stretched out. Any thoughts on a 2012 which is a 6 speed? The S version is 8 speed but costs a lot more. It's only 0.4 seconds faster.

Would love to hear current Rapide owner's comments. What were you comparing it to (Panamera, M6 Gran Coupe, etc) and maintenance, how you like it years later, what you like and dislike about it, etc.

Old 11-04-2016, 06:50 PM
SealTTX50 has a spectacular aura aboutSealTTX50 has a spectacular aura about
Love my Rapide S. As far as looks, nothing else compares with '4 doors' (the rear doors arent obvious and appear hidden to some degree). My wife refused to even get into the Maserati, Bentley, and Porsche Panamera to go for a drive when she saw all of them together.
The rears seats look small, but looks can be deceiving as they fit an adult rather comfortably. The interior, sound and performance are impressive!
If you're going for the Rapide, highly recommend you opt for the Rapide S. I drove both the 6 speed and the 8 speed. Maybe it's me, but I prefer the 6 speed. The shifts feel more performance oriented (more aggressive, less smooth), and the gear ratios work well for the street. Keep in mind there are 2 types of S models. The first year of the 'S' model (2014) bumped hp significantly and much better torque band with the variable valve timing and other enhancements. It came in a 6 speed (1 year run). 2015+ added the 8 speed and interior changed a bit. The difference between the S and non-S is a big difference.
Another consideration: I believe the Rapide S is one of the most underrated cars and one of the lowest production models from AM.

FYI...I think the front end (big V12) contributes more to the elongated perception than the rear seat area. Get quite a few compliments when I take it out for drives. Because there are so few on the roads, most people stop me to ask what model Aston it is (when they realize it's an AM), or more frequently, "what make and model is that?"

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0272.JPG
Views:	74
Size:	884.9 KB
ID:	462631   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0273.JPG
Views:	60
Size:	933.5 KB
ID:	462632   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0275.JPG
Views:	58
Size:	735.7 KB
ID:	462633  

Last edited by SealTTX50; 11-04-2016 at 07:01 PM.
Old 11-04-2016, 07:14 PM
deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !
LOVE the Rapide!

Old 11-05-2016, 02:39 AM
N91K is on a distinguished road
I'm happy to chip in since i own both cars 2010 V8 Vantage & 2011 Rapide. I kept them both because i realised i can't live without one of them. They are totally different cars, the vantage is fun and sexy yet the rapide is a car you would use everyday and yet also smile while flooring it. In the rapide i like the extra 2 seats and yes i do use them, i also like how comfortable it is compared to the vantage where there is no comparison at all. I could drive the rapide till mars if i wanted to but the vantage is limited because of the stiffness. So in the long run i would choose the rapide if i had to but i do love love love my vantage! Good luck with your decision and let me know if you need any more assistance.

Vantage:
Likes -
Size (fun driving)
Sound
Handling
Speed
Looks

Dislikes-
Stiffness (can't argue because it is a race car)
and thats all i can think of!

Rapide:
Likes-
Comfort
2 extra seats
Looks
Sound
Prestige
Sound system
Heated & ventilated seats

Dislikes-
Nothing!

Last edited by N91K; 11-05-2016 at 02:52 AM.
Old 11-05-2016, 07:59 AM
pwc6t3 is on a distinguished road
I have both a 2010 Rapide and 2010 Panamera Turbo. Totally different animals. If you are worried about 0-60 times then I don't think the Rapide is for you. It is fast but that doesn't seem to be the point with this car. My turbo is way quicker, has much better technology (such as entertainment, gps, monitoring systems etc), but the Aston is special. The Aston is very rare (I have never seen another on the road), sporty enough, has room for 3 friends and has a V12 symphony that my V12 Ferrari and W12 Bentley just can't match. Visibility out the windows is a little less on the Rapide, but that is a minor point. My Rapide is for sale if you might be interested, PM me. Overall driving the Panamera is fun but seems normal now after having it 8 months. The Aston feels special every single time I get in the drivers seat.

Old 11-05-2016, 12:40 PM
powerbeautysoulAM is on a distinguished road
Is the steering hydraulic setup?

Old 11-06-2016, 06:36 PM
irvineboy is on a distinguished road
I thought all AM were hydraulic steering but according to Edmunds, it says that the Rapide is electric steering which surprised me

http://www.edmunds.com/aston-martin/rapide/2012/

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.