Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Brake Squeal from new brakes

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-09-2016, 05:25 PM
SinisterSF is on a distinguished road
Brake Squeal from new brakes

I put on new AM rotors and EBC red stuff front, rear and emergency pads. I also changed the fluid and bled the brakes. Now the rear brakes won't stop squealing when stopping. Any ideas?

I was thinking of bleeding the brakes again in hopes that the rears didn't get cleaned out and they are getting a disproportional amount of pressure, making them not clamp as hard as they should and allowing vibration which causes squealing.

Old 11-09-2016, 05:40 PM
Banned
Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !
Did you put anti-squeal on the backing plates? Properly bed them in?

Old 11-09-2016, 05:40 PM
randyb will become famous soon enoughrandyb will become famous soon enough
I just did the same thing and have changed them to Porterfield, the squeal was embarrassing. I tried everything, including different shims, brake quieting compounds from CDC to BG stop squeal and nothing worked. Let me know if you find a solution.

Old 11-09-2016, 05:53 PM
Originally Posted by Redpants
Did you put anti-squeal on the backing plates? Properly bed them in?
I applied anti-squeal. I did a bunch of easy 40-20 bed in braking and the front sat in nicely the rear are the ones being a *****. I might switch pads and see.

Old 11-09-2016, 07:59 PM
speedracer800 is a jewel in the roughspeedracer800 is a jewel in the roughspeedracer800 is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by SinisterSF
I applied anti-squeal. I did a bunch of easy 40-20 bed in braking and the front sat in nicely the rear are the ones being a *****. I might switch pads and see.
Had the same problem with rears on my DB9. Switched to Porterfield and the problem continued. I finally fixed it by prying off the anti rattle shims that came with the Porterfield pads and then replaced with my original anti rattle shims. Must apply the anti squeal compound to both sides of the shim. If that doesn't work, then try using both shims, again with the anti squeal compound between everything. A little anti squeal at the area where the pads contact the rotor doesn't hurt either.

Sounds a little bizarre but it worked for me when absolutely nothing else did. I also chamfered the leading edge of the friction surface of the pad on my belt sander. Not sure if that helped cure it or not, but certainly didn't help.

You've got to view the "squealing" as a high pitched harmonic noise caused by the really fast "rattling" of the pads in the caliper against the rotor. It's got nothing to do with the actual pad to rotor contact in the conventional sense in terms of friction between the two surfaces. What's happening is the pads aren't getting a good "grip" on the rotor and start to vibrate against the rotor instead. So the anti rattle compound acts as an absorber of this vibration. I hope this makes sense and I'm not telling you something you already know.

Good luck either way!

Old 11-09-2016, 09:36 PM
Scotty4300 is on a distinguished road
I use EBC Yellow pads and the rears do squeal at low speed around town.
I have learned to release and quickly re-apply the brakes which kills the squeal.

Old 11-09-2016, 10:11 PM
007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of
Did you soak the entire pads in BG stop squeel? Just applying a this layer to brake pad surface is not enough.

also did you do the full brake bedding procedure?

Old 11-09-2016, 10:41 PM
spyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to behold
I agree with the bg stop squeal. That and in combination with the Porterfield brake pads yields zero brake squeal. I highly recommend.

Old 11-10-2016, 05:15 AM
Originally Posted by speedracer800
Had the same problem with rears on my DB9. Switched to Porterfield and the problem continued. I finally fixed it by prying off the anti rattle shims that came with the Porterfield pads and then replaced with my original anti rattle shims. Must apply the anti squeal compound to both sides of the shim. If that doesn't work, then try using both shims, again with the anti squeal compound between everything. A little anti squeal at the area where the pads contact the rotor doesn't hurt either.

Sounds a little bizarre but it worked for me when absolutely nothing else did. I also chamfered the leading edge of the friction surface of the pad on my belt sander. Not sure if that helped cure it or not, but certainly didn't help.

You've got to view the "squealing" as a high pitched harmonic noise caused by the really fast "rattling" of the pads in the caliper against the rotor. It's got nothing to do with the actual pad to rotor contact in the conventional sense in terms of friction between the two surfaces. What's happening is the pads aren't getting a good "grip" on the rotor and start to vibrate against the rotor instead. So the anti rattle compound acts as an absorber of this vibration. I hope this makes sense and I'm not telling you something you already know.

Good luck either way!
I was aware of what causes the squeal, but this is a good write up to put out there anyways.
When I took off the last set of pads there was some kind of rubber or soft material as the shim, anyone know what that is and where I can get some of that? EBC comes with metal shims.

Old 11-10-2016, 05:15 AM
Originally Posted by 007 Vantage
Did you soak the entire pads in BG stop squeel? Just applying a this layer to brake pad surface is not enough.

also did you do the full brake bedding procedure?
What's the full bed in? Perhaps I did it incorrectly.

Old 11-10-2016, 06:43 AM
yvr
yvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by SinisterSF
When I took off the last set of pads there was some kind of rubber or soft material as the shim, anyone know what that is and where I can get some of that? EBC comes with metal shims.
Might be the "Brake pad noise isolator kit" (4G43-28-10789) applied to the shim. I tried them and they helped. BG Stop Squeal worked best.

Old 11-10-2016, 07:25 AM
Originally Posted by yvr
Might be the "Brake pad noise isolator kit" (4G43-28-10789) applied to the shim. I tried them and they helped. BG Stop Squeal worked best.
I just ordered some BG stop squeal. Hopefully it works better than the ceramic stop squeal I've been using.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.