Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Hard water spots

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-26-2016, 05:49 PM
Batman-76 has a spectacular aura aboutBatman-76 has a spectacular aura aboutBatman-76 has a spectacular aura about
Hard water spots

Recently while out in Napa, I had the misfortune of being stuck in an unexpected rain storm.

Upon returning home a couple days later and washing the car, unnoticed some pretty intense rain spots on the car.

I've tried a vinegar solution with no relief.

My car is protected with XPel and Modesta Clear Coating on top, but the water spots appear pretty persistent.

Anyone have a good detail contact in the Marin County area that has experience?

Thanks

Old 11-27-2016, 01:21 AM
SheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Batman-76
Recently while out in Napa, I had the misfortune of being stuck in an unexpected rain storm.

Upon returning home a couple days later and washing the car, unnoticed some pretty intense rain spots on the car.

I've tried a vinegar solution with no relief.

My car is protected with XPel and Modesta Clear Coating on top, but the water spots appear pretty persistent.

Anyone have a good detail contact in the Marin County area that has experience?

Thanks

Sir, Please answer the following so I can help you.

1. Is the whole car covered by Xpel?
2. If not, then is the whole car covered by the spots, to include on the xpel? and the paint areas not covered by Xpel?
3. Modesta------ was the BC-05 coating used?
4. Modesta---- is the whole car coated, to include on top of the xpel?
5. How long has the car been xpeled and coated?
6. IS IT a possibility that the water spots are showing UNDERNEATH the coating and or Xpel?
All those questions play a part in the answer. This could be a possibly easy fix, to it could be costly and a pain to fix.

Couple things about paint------ water spots are typically when the water dries after puddling on the paint. The chemicals in the water are left which then surface embeds on the paint, xpel, coating etc..... Now interestingly paint expands and contracts with heat and cold, just like anything else. IF an unprotected car gets water spots, there is a good chance that they embed themselves into the CC layer due to drying when the panels are heated then contract into the CC layer. Removal of those are a huge pain, due to only being seen when the panels are heated.

There are products to deal with whatever your issue is, just need clarification on the questions and then I will suggest options. Likely no need to pay someone to do this, pending how much of areas are covered and the actual issue.

Let me know and I will help

Sheriff

Old 11-27-2016, 09:35 AM
SheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to all
There are only two types of water spots.

Type 1 is a surface level spot that can be removed usually by vinegar or CarPro Spotless product.

Type 2 is the water spot that has sat on the surface long enough to actually etch the surface which then vinegar or even any of the products out there wont remove the spot. These are sub-surface water spots.

The only way to remove Type 2 water spots is to polish the surface to level the surface to remove the etch.

XPEL Flawless Finish Paint Protection Film Cleaner is what I would buy first, then try it out.

Old 11-27-2016, 12:00 PM
Batman-76 has a spectacular aura aboutBatman-76 has a spectacular aura aboutBatman-76 has a spectacular aura about
Thanks for the reply Sheriff

The entire car is covered with XPel and Modesta BC5, with the coating being applied on top of the PPF

I attempted to use a 50/50 vinegar solution with no effect.

The car has been wrapped and maintained consistently with Modesta One Shot for about a Year and a Half now.

No way the spots are under the film as this is the first I've seen them, and only after being parked out in the elements during rain, followed by sunshine in Napa :-(

Thanks

Old 11-27-2016, 08:37 PM
Update:
I used a 3:1 mixture of vinegar and distilled water in a spray bottle.

Spray on, clay like a mad man, rinse, repeat.

Finally it looks like the water spots are all removed. Or at least the best as I can tell with the limited light in my garage.

Final rinse off with fresh spray bottle of distilled water and clean towels.

For now, the car is resting under a cover. Tomorrow I'll order some wax and protect her proper.

Any recommendations for a wax on top of XPel and Modesta?

Thanks

Old 11-28-2016, 12:28 AM
Originally Posted by Batman-76
Update:
I used a 3:1 mixture of vinegar and distilled water in a spray bottle.

Spray on, clay like a mad man, rinse, repeat.

Finally it looks like the water spots are all removed. Or at least the best as I can tell with the limited light in my garage.

Final rinse off with fresh spray bottle of distilled water and clean towels.

For now, the car is resting under a cover. Tomorrow I'll order some wax and protect her proper.

Any recommendations for a wax on top of XPel and Modesta?

Thanks

Try out

AMMO Crème for a Carnauba and AMMO Skin for the base sealant.

Sealants will last you about 5 months of protection (helping to protect the Xpel and Coating)

Carnaubas will last about 4 weeks pending how much sun it gets, how hot, and how many washes.

Pinnacle Sovouran with the Pinnacle sealant would also be a great choice.

Only pairs I would use for mine. I am going with all AMMO products this go around on mine. Larry has been such a help to me with my detailing and figuring out process, I felt obliged a few years back to use a few of his products. Well, the result is that they work as promised and delivered. So I continue to do that.

Sheriff

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.