Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

DB9 - Coolant Smell, No Leak

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-31-2017, 08:33 AM
willin58 is an unknown quantity at this point
DB9 - Coolant Smell, No Leak

Hello all,

My '07 DB9 smells of coolant at the front of the car, obviously near the radiator. I add a couple ounces of coolant or water every 100 miles or so. The kicker is I can see no leak after taking off the top panel and searching around with a flashlight. I can see all the way down to the bottom tray and it is dry as a bone. I can only smell coolant at the very front of the car, no smell inside the cabin (heater core) and the oil isn't milky.

I plan to have a pressure test done to figure it out, but wanted to see if anyone had any ideas?

Thanks!

Old 01-31-2017, 09:28 AM
randyb will become famous soon enoughrandyb will become famous soon enough
Plastic radiators are known to only leak when hot and under pressure. Another place to look is around t-stat housing and overflow tank. Overflow tank is not the one where you add coolant, it will most likely be on the inner fender either in the engine bay or between the inner fender and outer fender, not sure on a DB9.

Old 01-31-2017, 09:35 AM
Thanks, I'll check those other areas. Another odd thing is that the system is definitely keeping pressure; the reservoir cap still "pops" when removing it when cold and I've had some coolant spray out when I *thought* the engine was cool enough to check.

Thanks again.

Old 01-31-2017, 10:13 AM
Sounds like you are smelling boil over, sometimes happens when car gets real hot.

When was the last time the coolant was changed?

Old 01-31-2017, 12:05 PM
It's weird, I can smell the coolant just about every time I take her our and get her up to temp. The coolant was last replaced 7/2013, so it's definitely not to the 5yr/100k miles point.

Old 01-31-2017, 04:17 PM
Agaton12 is on a distinguished road
If you have a small leak,and I assume you have since you add coolant, you will smell the coolant even if the leak is so tiny that the water evaporates before it collects on the bottom tray.

Old 01-31-2017, 04:27 PM
Yeah, I figure I have a leak somewhere in/around the radiator (since that's where the smell is by far the strongest), but the hole is so small (and possibly top-facing) that nothing is physically spewing out. I've been looking for orange on/around the radiator but haven't seen anything. Pretty odd, I'll see what the pressure test says.

Thanks!

Old 01-31-2017, 04:32 PM
bluecab is on a distinguished road
On a LHD DB9 the expansion tank is behind the driver's side wheel arch. It's a sizable tank that has an overflow pipe.

Old 01-31-2017, 10:53 PM
When my Jags radiator failed, it only leaked when it was hot. So pressure test it and I fear you will find the leak.
I hope it is just boil over and not a bad radiator.

Old 02-01-2017, 10:43 AM
Thanks for the advice, gents. There has to be a leak, it's just weird that it's nowhere to be found. As for the UV dye, the coolant itself is orange so I would think it should be easy enough to see.

Old 02-04-2017, 11:24 AM
jimshadow is on a distinguished road
I have the exact same issue. Don't smell it every time, but I do get a coolant whiff every now and then. It's been going on with this car since my buddy owned it (and I put the majority of the miles on it...). That dates back to 2010. I'll pressure test the radiator again this spring, but to date nothing has been found.

Old 02-04-2017, 11:41 AM
embdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to behold
If you smell coolant you have a leak. Note that a very small leak, one that evaporates the moment it hits the hot engine, is extremely difficult to find. The best method is to pressurize the radiator, and even then you might not find it. Finally a small leak hitting the hot engine will smell just about the same as a big leak.