Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Replacing center console and glass buttons

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-15-2017, 10:10 PM
Old phart is a jewel in the roughOld phart is a jewel in the roughOld phart is a jewel in the roughOld phart is a jewel in the rough
Replacing center console and glass buttons

So I recently developed a crack across my nav cover. Been thinking of upgrading to the piano black and buttons so...
Used a plastic trim removal tool from the local auto parts store to pop the console loose and a #20 torx for everything else.

Console removal

Old 02-15-2017, 11:43 PM
SheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Old phart
So I recently developed a crack across my nav cover. Been thinking of upgrading to the piano black and buttons so...
Used a plastic trim removal tool from the local auto parts store to pop the console loose and a #20 torx for everything else.

Console removal
https://youtu.be/r04HT6WSWUI

There is one pic under my Homecoming thread that shows the leather door caps. My suggestion is the change out your caps to black leather. It would really tighten up your interior. I think I might piano black my console too. I liked just the mohaghany, that's the only brown in my interior, but thinking now.

Thoughts on making your ashtray center console piano black also?
And or doing something with the radio stack?

THought and thought about those too, but not sure what to do.

Old 02-15-2017, 11:47 PM
EZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud of
Very nice write up. Are you going to replace the lower buttons next?

Old 02-16-2017, 04:30 AM
handyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond repute
Really nice write up, it should be kept in the FAQ somewhere

Old 02-16-2017, 07:23 AM
Old phart is a jewel in the roughOld phart is a jewel in the roughOld phart is a jewel in the roughOld phart is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by EZ Cookin
Very nice write up. Are you going to replace the lower buttons next?
Yes Sir. That's the plan. Also going to go with black leather on the door caps. Just knew the top console would be a fairly quick job. If hadn't taken pics and such would have been an easy 1 hour job.

Old 02-16-2017, 07:25 AM
Originally Posted by SheriffDep
There is one pic under my Homecoming thread that shows the leather door caps. My suggestion is the change out your caps to black leather. It would really tighten up your interior. I think I might piano black my console too. I liked just the mohaghany, that's the only brown in my interior, but thinking now.

Thoughts on making your ashtray center console piano black also?
And or doing something with the radio stack?

THought and thought about those too, but not sure what to do.
I'm already nervous on scratches to the console. Don't think lower console would hold up too well. Agree on the caps to black leather. On my list of to do's.

Old 02-16-2017, 08:50 AM
terminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to behold
Interestingly, the way to remove the waterfall is NOT with a plastic panel remover tool. The safest way is to open the nav door, grab the waterfall in this area and pull it upward firmly. No scratches this way.

Old 02-16-2017, 10:15 AM
Ron Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to behold
I'm already nervous on scratches to the console. Don't think lower console would hold up too well. Agree on the caps to black leather. On my list of to do's.
I have the piano black upper and lower finish on my 2016 GT. I wish I had the carbon fiber finish instead. I keep my car very clean but the fingerprints and scratches even with a soft micro fiber cloth and cleaning solution, drive me crazy as well as the dust!
Ron

Old 02-16-2017, 10:18 AM
SheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to all
You can take a Swirl remover polish, and do the panel (I did one with a machine out of the car) but then take a ceramic or glass coating and put that on top. That would highly reduce the micro marring on the panels. ALSO, I have no idea how the final would look, but a clear bra on top, might just be the ticket. No scratches, might not be an eyesore, and would slightly keep glare down. But, you also might be able to tell its there right off the bat and be an eyesore. Dont, know but giving thoughts to it. My concerns also.

I thought about the center and lower sections. On my DB9, its the platinum lighter gray, so I want it darker. But, the center stack has the white writing on it for phone and labels and such. Not sure that can be changed. I thought I saw on AM bits, center sections with a darker face, but last I looked I couldnt find any, and thought a black top, and black bottom with a silver middle wouldnt look that great. So kept it monaghan and silver. But the door caps are definitely the ticket for anyone. The wood tops, even the piano black to me just look stupid on the doors. The black leather will bring all the colors together. Looks great and thanks for the video, I am when I get back doing the glass switches for sure.

Old 02-16-2017, 10:20 AM
Originally Posted by Ron Avery
I have the piano black upper and lower finish on my 2016 GT. I wish I had the carbon fiber finish instead. I keep my car very clean but the fingerprints and scratches even with a soft micro fiber cloth and cleaning solution, drive me crazy as well as the dust!
Ron
same for you Ron, the clear coat on the wood is the same as the paint not the body of the car. You can coat it with a coating that will help minimize the scratches. Easy to put on, it will shine more, but if it helps keep marks off it, then great. Soft clear coat sucks, hard to work with, and a pain to keep perfect.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.