Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Fuel lid solenoid

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-05-2017, 06:49 AM
Old phart is a jewel in the roughOld phart is a jewel in the roughOld phart is a jewel in the roughOld phart is a jewel in the rough
Fuel lid solenoid

So last night when I filled up the little nub that holds the fule flap down retracted but then was too shy to reappear. Right now I've just got a piece of paper wedged between the flap and the body to keep the door closed.

I'm hoping it's just gunked up. Anyone else work on one of these? Thinking I just have to remove the boot liner to get at it.

Old 04-05-2017, 09:35 PM
Old phart is a jewel in the roughOld phart is a jewel in the roughOld phart is a jewel in the roughOld phart is a jewel in the rough
So pulled a bit of the liner out. Saw the mechanism and just cycled it a few times and it seems to be back to normal. Was stuck on the down cycle. Squirted a bit of lube in the top end.
Took out these two bolts

Removed the boot seal so the liner could be pulled back.

Mechanism attached to the side of the fender with the cable going up to the latch. Pulled on the white handle a few times and cycled it with the release button too.

Old 04-07-2017, 10:01 AM
randyb will become famous soon enoughrandyb will become famous soon enough
Mine is stuck in the open position and I have tried everything I could think of to loosen it up, but no go. Just ordered a new cable from AstonParts and is under $50 shipped.

Old 04-07-2017, 12:33 PM
I just added a roll of velcro to my trunk kit. If it happens again I can use that to hold it shut till I get home. This time I just wedged a piece of paper in there to hold it down.

Old 04-07-2017, 10:37 PM
Aldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud of
I had little different problem. My button got stuck but I found my gas door was not lined up correctly. Once I corrected this problem and oiled the latch it has worked ok...Good luck...

Old 06-16-2017, 06:55 PM
Gene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond repute
My fuel lid is stuck. I can hear the solenoid but the latch doesn't move. I can open it with the release in the hatch. I have centered the lid and lubed the latch, but can't get it to move.

Old 06-17-2017, 08:31 AM
If you can open it with the release then the cable must be good. Have you had someone press the button while you watched the solenoid to see if there is movement?

Old 06-17-2017, 01:12 PM
Gene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond repute
I had my wife push the button and I watched to see if there was movement. I could hear it click but no movement.

Old 06-17-2017, 02:11 PM
larryg is on a distinguished road
Does anyone know how to adjust the alignment of the lid to the body.
Thanks

Old 06-18-2017, 07:33 AM
embdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by larryg
Does anyone know how to adjust the alignment of the lid to the body.
Thanks
My alignment was slightly off and I removed the cap and hinge. Placed a couple of washers between the hinge and body to align the cap to the door.

http://bernardembden.com/am/gascapdoor/index.htm

Old 06-18-2017, 07:48 AM
larryg is on a distinguished road
That is a wonderful write up.
What type of quick set glue do you recommend?
Many thanks

Old 06-18-2017, 08:17 AM
CARAIBAM is a glorious beacon of lightCARAIBAM is a glorious beacon of lightCARAIBAM is a glorious beacon of lightCARAIBAM is a glorious beacon of lightCARAIBAM is a glorious beacon of light
Great write up, but are you sure:" I decided to MOVE the mounting point away from the body a centimeter or so" , wouldn't it rather a milimeter?

Old 06-18-2017, 08:26 AM
HabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to all
Mine is rubbing on the bottom edge and the last 3 times I got gas wouldn't open without using the cable release and pushing the cap away from contact.

Is this misalignment adjusted by bending the arm? From the holes for the locating pins one is elongated like it would allow adjustment, but the other is not so I don't see how it could be moved.

Old 06-18-2017, 10:55 AM
embdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by CARAIBAM
Great write up, but are you sure:" I decided to MOVE the mounting point away from the body a centimeter or so" , wouldn't it rather a milimeter?
(Laugh)
You are of course correct. Now I have to correct the website (smile)

Old 06-18-2017, 10:59 AM
Originally Posted by larryg
That is a wonderful write up.
What type of quick set glue do you recommend?
Many thanks
Any quick setting glue will do (all you need is for the washers not to move as you insert the screws)
I used gorilla super glue

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.