Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

2005 DB9 armrest upgrade

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-18-2017, 07:17 PM
geh065 will become famous soon enoughgeh065 will become famous soon enough
2005 DB9 armrest upgrade

I've been thinking about upgrading my DB9 armrest to the newer type with the storage and cup holder. They have a couple of listings on AMbits but I'd like some help with figuring out what I'm looking at exactly. I've not had much help from contacting them directly.

http://astonmartinbits.com/models/4-DB9/parts/692

This above is the new factory part. Note how long it is.
http://astonmartinbits.com/models/4-DB9/parts/5131

This is the part I am after. I would like to have it redone to match my interior. Note how short and stubby this one is. There is a second listing which is similar to this one. It is as if the back half is cut off. AMBits told me to just look at the drawing but that does not help.

So, can anyone explain to me how I can make the short one fit my car and whether or not this is missing parts? Thanks!

Last edited by GT3 Chuck; 04-19-2017 at 04:52 PM.
Old 04-19-2017, 09:29 AM
SheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to all
Originally Posted by geh065
I've been thinking about upgrading my DB9 armrest to the newer type with the storage and cup holder. They have a couple of listings on AMbits but I'd like some help with figuring out what I'm looking at exactly. I've not had much help from contacting them directly.

This is the part I am after. I would like to have it redone to match my interior. Note how short and stubby this one is. There is a second listing which is similar to this one. It is as if the back half is cut off. AMBits told me to just look at the drawing but that does not help.

So, can anyone explain to me how I can make the short one fit my car and whether or not this is missing parts? Thanks!

OK, I just bought the one on eBay for my 05 DB9. Well I bought it in FEB and will be installing it in MAY. I bought the short one. However; looking at the diagrams the one that appears longer in the back; MIGHT just be longer and will sit on top of the rear leather tunnel section. So fitment likely will be the same either way, just one hangs out longer in the back. But owners and Ambits hopefully can answer that.

All I know is that there are 2x metal brackets on AM bits that need to be purchased. There is no current DIY for this process on the forum. I will be writing one up for sure.

I will also be changing the trunk lid to the newer GT one. So write up for that also.

BUT..... AMBits will work with you. Put one in the checkout and ask for a shipping quote. Then when they reply start asking the questions.

I will not know until I get home exactly how the short one will work. There are supposed to be some plastic parts of the center tunnel parts that need to be cut or shaved down for proper fitment. If you can hang on for about 1x month, you will have all your answers with a DIY.

I am assuming:
1. remove current leather covering
2. prep area for fitment by shaving down or cutting some plastic under neath or the side areas of existing parts
3. place the new console down and slide back, then screw wherever the screws go
4. then place the rear cover back on top the rear section that should cover the areas that you see at the back in silver. However; mine shows like theirs where the silver part is, but i think that section might actually be covered by leather. Have seen a pic or two.

Current DBS or DB9 09 and newer owners showing some pics of how theirs are in the back might be helpful for both of us. Will see if Speedracer800 can shoot a pic or two.

Last edited by GT3 Chuck; 04-19-2017 at 04:53 PM.
Old 04-19-2017, 04:46 PM
Thanks Sheriff!

What I don't understand is that if the interiors of the cars are the same, then two different arm rest designs would result in two different products. Does one arm rest extend as far forwards as the SPORT and Traction Control buttons on the center console whereas the other sits far back?

I've seen the note about having to purchase additional brackets however I assume they are just metal brackets which will not be visible after the install. The longer armrest is longer by having a longer leather panel, so how about the short one? If it is pushed all the way back then do your drinks sit by your elbow instead of by your wrists?

I just can't picture it and am reluctant to purchase one until I understand it.

Thanks to anyone else who can shed some light on this!

Old 04-19-2017, 04:57 PM
XJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond repute
The short one is obviously missing the tail piece as seen in the photo of the long one. All the armrests mount in the same place, so the cup holder is right by you wrist (making it less than useless if you've got a manual). If you've got an auto, the bin just aft of the HVAC controls is far better as a cup holder.

Old 04-19-2017, 05:23 PM
Originally Posted by XJRS Owner
The short one is obviously missing the tail piece as seen in the photo of the long one. All the armrests mount in the same place, so the cup holder is right by you wrist (making it less than useless if you've got a manual). If you've got an auto, the bin just aft of the HVAC controls is far better as a cup holder.

Thanks.

I thought this too initially but then I saw that with the long one, the side panel is one long piece of leather. In the shortened one, the leather isn't crudely cut short but seems to be purposely short. The two engineering diagrams included in those links are different lengths as well so it appears to be two different parts and not the same long armrest but missing a piece in one of them. ???

Old 04-19-2017, 05:59 PM
SheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to all
Thanks.

I thought this too initially but then I saw that with the long one, the side panel is one long piece of leather. In the shortened one, the leather isn't crudely cut short but seems to be purposely short. The two engineering diagrams included in those links are different lengths as well so it appears to be two different parts and not the same long armrest but missing a piece in one of them. ???
I will be able to tell you more with pictures when I get home middle of May. I will come back to this thread and update what I find. I will locate my pictures, and post here tomorrow, because if I am missing some pieces or something I have to ASAP get them. I will only be with the car for 2x weeks so have to have everything at once.

Old 04-19-2017, 06:00 PM
XJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond repute
Short version for the 2+2 and long one for the 2+0 is my guess, since the rear part needs to be different to allow it to properly match up with the different configurations. OTOH, that may be all wrong...

Last edited by XJRS Owner; 04-19-2017 at 09:41 PM.
Old 04-20-2017, 07:44 AM
Originally Posted by XJRS Owner
Short version for the 2+2 and long one for the 2+0 is my guess, since the rear part needs to be different to allow it to properly match up with the different configurations. OTOH, that may be all wrong...
This makes total sense, never thought that the DBS with no second row would be different. However, the following pictures are of the console I bought and they are supposed to be out of a DBS and its the short one.

I have contacted Speedracer800 and asked him to post some pictures of fitment for his console from his DBS, that might help explain the rear part.

On the below pictures, I believe the section you see in silver at the back section is supposed to be covered by a flap of leather.

I am from diagrams assuming the console will slip over the edges of the existing side walls of the tunnel, and the rear with the two extra brackets will bolt down on the existing rear bolts, and sit on top of the flat slide leather section behind the console. Since the internals are different sizes there is likely some plastic of the sidewall or center parts that will need to be trimmed down some for proper fitment.

Cannot tell anymore, until its actually in my hands and I am working to install.

The below link will at least show the removal of the current part, and where this one would go. That is my car shown below, so I know exactly what mine looks like:

http://www.redpants.lol/lower-consol...bezel-removal/

Old 04-21-2017, 12:02 AM
Thanks for the info. Looking for more photos on the net it seems as though the Vantage uses the long one and the DB9 and DBS the short one.

I am very tempted to go ahead and purchase that part however I also want to wait and see how yours turns out before I bite the bullet!!

Old 04-21-2017, 09:33 AM
Thanks for the info. Looking for more photos on the net it seems as though the Vantage uses the long one and the DB9 and DBS the short one.

I am very tempted to go ahead and purchase that part however I also want to wait and see how yours turns out before I bite the bullet!!
Would make sense that Vantage and DB9s are different. I know mine came off a DBS.

So if what you think is true, then we are good to go with what I have, and the 2x brackets i got. The silver section on the back side, might need a strip of leather, but we will see how it goes when I get home.

I would honestly NOT get the worn out dirty one, unless Ambits will cut that price. It will need total recovering. Best to find one close to new or new.

Ambits takes 6-8 weeks to have one built. But, like i said, put the dirty one in the cart, ask for shipping quote, then email them back and say you want to pay less, or ask the long short questions etc...... They are pretty quick on non weekends to answer.

Old 04-21-2017, 10:17 AM
Thanks for the advice. I had my interior completely re-leathered by a local company last year so whatever I buy I will need it to be re-leathered anyway to match my interior leather and stitching, which is why I was going to go for the cheap battered one!

Old 04-21-2017, 11:03 AM
Thanks for the advice. I had my interior completely re-leathered by a local company last year so whatever I buy I will need it to be re-leathered anyway to match my interior leather and stitching, which is why I was going to go for the cheap battered one!
Understand---- Make an offer to Ambits for the piece--- I would, its really not worth much and they will likely have to sit on it for a good long time so they might just take a good number (fair). Just an idea. never tried it with them. Though about doing it for one of there trunk lids that has been on there for 9 months at least. But found a perfect one in the US. So better and cheaper.

Old 04-21-2017, 06:13 PM
Good idea I will try that thanks!

Old 04-25-2017, 09:33 PM
CARAIBAM is a glorious beacon of lightCARAIBAM is a glorious beacon of lightCARAIBAM is a glorious beacon of lightCARAIBAM is a glorious beacon of lightCARAIBAM is a glorious beacon of light
Fitted a 09 armrest to my 04 DB9, not a big deal, I had to trim the rear part of the consol (n°9) as it would not fit to the transmission tunnel and the lid would not open.

Last edited by CARAIBAM; 04-25-2017 at 09:40 PM.
Old 04-25-2017, 09:42 PM
CARAIBAM is a glorious beacon of lightCARAIBAM is a glorious beacon of lightCARAIBAM is a glorious beacon of lightCARAIBAM is a glorious beacon of lightCARAIBAM is a glorious beacon of light
When I fitted the consol, the color didn't match well, I corrected it with some leather balm, now you can't see the difference.Since then I have added an elbow pad.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.