Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Seized bypass filter torx bolt

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-24-2017, 06:21 PM
MrRobot is on a distinguished road
Seized bypass filter torx bolt

I was just in the process of changing oil in my newly acquired 4.3.. as luck should have it the first bypass filter bolt is not going without a fight; and I may be in some dangerous territory.

Perhaps my first mistake was using a torx bit set from Autozone. When applying some reasonable pressure I felt some movement, but not the good kind. I felt just a little bit of that "mush" when a bolt begins to strip, and immediately let up. There was a little damage done to the bolt, but most of the damage was to the torx bit which twisted itself.

So now I have a couple options:

1) Buy the highest quality torx bit I can and try again. I do have an impact wrench handy as well.

2) Go directly to the dremmel method and take advantage of whatever integrity the bolt has left - and then attempt to remove with a flat head.

3) Bring it to a dealer, bend over, sob.

My biggest fear is completely destroying the bolt. If that happens I'm not sure what I could do. I am pretty far from any shop that would service an AM, especially one with a mangled bolt.

Any advice or emotional support is welcome

Old 04-24-2017, 06:28 PM
deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !
I don't know the shape of the bolt. I just don't remember. You could check the Irwin tool website to see if they have a compatible bolt extractor. They work like magic IMHO.

Old 04-24-2017, 06:28 PM
Banned
Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !
Get an impact screwdriver. This is the one I have and it has saved several 4.3L cars that I've worked on:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/SHC-947641

If that fails, then go to the Dremel and pray for the best (or go to a shop and let them pray lol).

Those bolts are terrible, which is why I include replacements in my oil change packages
http://www.redpants.lol/shop/oil-change-package

Old 04-24-2017, 06:45 PM
Originally Posted by Redpants
Get an impact screwdriver. This is the one I have and it has saved several 4.3L cars that I've worked on:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/SHC-947641

If that fails, then go to the Dremel and pray for the best (or go to a shop and let them pray lol).

Those bolts are terrible, which is why I include replacements in my oil change packages
http://www.redpants.lol/shop/oil-change-package
Thank you sir! I actually ordered one, and will order another since I only got to change half the oil!

The impact screwdriver looks cool, but have you used it when a car was on jackstands? I'm worried I won't be able to get any real strike on it. I do have an electric impact gun which may help with an impact rated torx bit. But I am just so scared right now

Old 04-24-2017, 06:49 PM
Banned
Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !
So long as the car is secure on the jackstands, it's safe to use the impact screwdriver. You're hammering up into the bottom of the car, so you've got over 3500 lbs pushing back at you. Just make sure you're holding the driver as firmly as you can into the bolt when you use it, or you risk stripping the bolt even faster!

Old 04-24-2017, 08:20 PM
Gene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond repute
I just had the same problem over the weekend when I changed to oil in my 4.3 Vantage. The tox heads were stripped. I cut a slot with the dremel and tried the impact screw driver to no avail. Then I used a chisel and a hammer to gentley turn the bolts. It worked. As soon as they moved I could twist them out by hand. I won't ever have that problem again because Rich from Redpants included hex bolt replacements wit his oil change kit. Thanks Rich.

Old 04-25-2017, 02:37 AM
Aston40 is a jewel in the roughAston40 is a jewel in the roughAston40 is a jewel in the roughAston40 is a jewel in the rough
Anti Seize

Always put a little bit of Metal Free Anti Seize on all bolts and nuts!
It saves time and money.

Regards

Kobus

Old 04-25-2017, 05:03 AM
blue2000s is a jewel in the roughblue2000s is a jewel in the roughblue2000s is a jewel in the rough
You'll be able to remove the screw with an extractor if you strip the round the recess. Soak them with a little PB Blaster or Liquid Wrench.

Old 04-25-2017, 08:31 AM
DonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant future
Variation on a theme...

I had the same problem several years ago and if you are handy with a small 4" angle grinder (or a dremel), you can slowly remove the head of the bolt without damaging (heating) the underlying plate. With the tension released on the bolt shank, it should unscrew relatively easily, using either a center punch or chisel with a hammer to rotate.

If you look closely you can see the impression made by using the center punch to rotate the flattened bolt.

This is very similar to other methods mentioned...
Replace with metric Allen head cap screws and you are good to go, never to be bothered with torx head bolts again.

Old 04-25-2017, 09:01 AM
Originally Posted by Redpants
So long as the car is secure on the jackstands, it's safe to use the impact screwdriver. You're hammering up into the bottom of the car, so you've got over 3500 lbs pushing back at you. Just make sure you're holding the driver as firmly as you can into the bolt when you use it, or you risk stripping the bolt even faster!
I am more worried that I just won't have the distance to swing a hammer from underneath the car Would you think an impact wrench would accomplish the same thing?

I am leaning towards giving it a try with an impact torx bit, if that rounds the inside I will try the Irwin extractor to twist it from the outside. If that can't turn it I can try shaving down the bolt and chiseling it.

Old 04-25-2017, 09:03 AM
Banned
It can be pretty tough and you'll get a serious shoulder workout, but it's doable.

I'd be careful with an electric impact because it's more likely to strip the bolt.

Old 04-25-2017, 09:50 AM
embdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by MrRobot
I am more worried that I just won't have the distance to swing a hammer from underneath the car Would you think an impact wrench would accomplish the same thing?

I am leaning towards giving it a try with an impact torx bit, if that rounds the inside I will try the Irwin extractor to twist it from the outside. If that can't turn it I can try shaving down the bolt and chiseling it.
If you have a good 1/2 inch impact wrench you should be able to adjust the torque level. Start at the lowest level and adjust up as necessary.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.