Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

15mm wheel spacer setup

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-26-2017, 06:10 PM
supraholic will become famous soon enoughsupraholic will become famous soon enough
15mm wheel spacer setup

I've seen threads with 11mm and 23mm spacer setups. Figured I post my 15mm spacer setup. Found these quality aluminum spacers on eBay of all places at very reasonable price $35 a pair!

I knew I was going to need different lugs with extended threads; I was able to find these at a good price: 14x2mm Mag Lugs $27 for a set of 20 lugs.

So for less than $100, I have a good spacer setup until I figure out what aftermarket wheels I want to get...

Here's the 15mm hub-centric spacer with a new lug:

I wanted to test how deep the lug would seat in the wheel...perfect fit to maximize threads:

Here's a couple pics comparing the OEM lug with the mag lugs I used with the spacers. Notice the threads on the OEM lug (left) don't start until 10mm into the lug; the threads start right away on the mag lug:

The first thing I did was install the spacer and bolt up the wheel using the new mag lugs. I counted exactly 8.5 turns of the lug at full tight. I then removed the wheel and reinstalled the lug at exactly 8.5 turns--I wanted to see exactly how much of the threads where engaged on the OEM stud. At 8.5 turns of the lug, I measured 24mm of the threads engaged:

As a comparison to OEM lugs (w/no spacer), I counted 9 turns of the OEM lug at full tight. As seen in the OEM lug pic above, I measured only 15mm of threads inside the OEM lug (as compared to 27mm of threads in the mag lug). So in doing the math, the OEM lugs bite 21mm of threads on the stud (at 9 turns). The mag lug w/spacer setup bites 24mm of threads on the stud (at 8.5 turns)--actually MORE stud threads engaged with the spacer+mag lugs as compared to the OEM setup. Net, net: I'm not concerned about the safety of this setup.

Here's the spacer and wheel installed:

Wheels are definitely flush with the fenders. 15mm is the MAXIMUM I would go with the V12V OEM wheels:

-Dan

Old 05-27-2017, 01:59 AM
Graze is a name known to allGraze is a name known to allGraze is a name known to allGraze is a name known to allGraze is a name known to allGraze is a name known to all
Dan

thats a brilliant thread

thanks

I've just bought those exact wheels for my V8V and am looking forward to getting them on the car

and thanks for the links on the lug nuts

Graeme

Old 05-30-2017, 09:09 AM
Zettinger is a glorious beacon of lightZettinger is a glorious beacon of lightZettinger is a glorious beacon of lightZettinger is a glorious beacon of lightZettinger is a glorious beacon of light
That is awesome!! Thanks for sharing.

Old 05-30-2017, 09:22 AM
Zettinger is a glorious beacon of lightZettinger is a glorious beacon of lightZettinger is a glorious beacon of lightZettinger is a glorious beacon of lightZettinger is a glorious beacon of light
Update..

Ordered a set for the front axle.

Old 05-31-2017, 05:09 PM
ab_aston is a glorious beacon of lightab_aston is a glorious beacon of lightab_aston is a glorious beacon of lightab_aston is a glorious beacon of lightab_aston is a glorious beacon of light
Not compatible with 2007 V8V? Is there a difference in the sizes over the years? Or is their configurator just wrong?

Last edited by ab_aston; 05-31-2017 at 05:10 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-31-2017, 07:17 PM
supraholic will become famous soon enoughsupraholic will become famous soon enough
I *think* these spacers will fit V8V hubs just fine. What might be different are the wheel offsets between the V8V versus V12V--which would result in a different stance. The oem v12v wheels are 19x9 51mm offset and 19x11 68mm offset, front and rear respectively.

i know some folks have run 23mm rear spacers on a v8v. This would be way too much with v12v wheels.

15mm spacers on V8V wheels would work fine; but might not push the wheels out enough based on personal taste.

-Dan

Originally Posted by ab_aston
Not compatible with 2007 V8V? Is there a difference in the sizes over the years? Or is their configurator just wrong?

Old 06-01-2017, 01:42 PM
svre46 will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by supraholic
I *think* these spacers will fit V8V hubs just fine. What might be different are the wheel offsets between the V8V versus V12V--which would result in a different stance. The oem v12v wheels are 19x9 51mm offset and 19x11 68mm offset, front and rear respectively.

i know some folks have run 23mm rear spacers on a v8v. This would be way too much with v12v wheels.

15mm spacers on V8V wheels would work fine; but might not push the wheels out enough based on personal taste.

-Dan
I am thinking 20mm spacers with these lugs might work for us V8V guys. Based on your numbers we would only be engaging the stud by 2mm less (less than 1 turn roughly). I am not an expert but I don't think that is too significant. I am pretty sure there is some equation to figure out how many threads need to bite. Back in my spacer days (Audi Days) I always did a minimum of 6 turns for my lug bolts. Again...I am not an expert in anyway so don't hold me to it.

Last edited by svre46; 06-01-2017 at 02:15 PM.
Old 06-01-2017, 02:05 PM
I've read on various other forums you want 5 full turns minimum...

Old 06-04-2017, 09:27 AM
I just tried to fit the spacers and the drill out on the spacer is not big enough to clear my studs.

Old 06-06-2017, 06:04 PM
F430Spider is just really niceF430Spider is just really niceF430Spider is just really niceF430Spider is just really nice
Does the 15 Vanquish use the same widths?

Old 06-07-2017, 08:23 AM
Update form the spacer seller.
Tobias,

After further investigation, it would seem the manufacturer did not make the lug holes wide enough for your factory studs, for this reason I have ended my listing and will issue you a refund for this transaction. I am extremely sorry for this and I am sure it would be easy to have the spacers honed out by a shop or a dremmle to fit your vehicle. Please accept my apology for this error. We had no way of knowing until you and another buyer purchased this past week. Thank you,
Wheel.Parts
Customer Support Team
i'm wondering how the first set was correct if this was one production badge.

Old 06-07-2017, 10:43 AM
Hmmm...interesting. I must have got lucky. The spacers slid over the lugs but it was pretty tight tolerance with very little wiggle room. In fact, sliding them on and off did require me to 'wiggled' the spacers a little...

glad ad this is being straightened out for you by the vendor!

Originally Posted by Zettinger

Old 06-13-2017, 07:57 AM
Originally Posted by supraholic
Hmmm...interesting. I must have got lucky. The spacers slid over the lugs but it was pretty tight tolerance with very little wiggle room. In fact, sliding them on and off did require me to 'wiggled' the spacers a little...

glad ad this is being straightened out for you by the vendor!
The seller removed the item from eBay and refunded the money.

Since the sale numbers were too low (of course without offering nuts or studs to mount them), he will not re order the spacers from the manufacturer.

You got lucky with the only fitting set.

Old 06-16-2017, 09:03 AM
Old phart is a jewel in the roughOld phart is a jewel in the roughOld phart is a jewel in the roughOld phart is a jewel in the rough
Ok, about time for a dumb question.

So rather than spacers can't you just get custom offset wheels? I'd think if someone were getting new wheels that would make sense. I see if you want to keep your current set spacers are obviously the way to go. I like how mine are snug up against the calipers and with spacers you'd be losing a bit of that.

Old 06-16-2017, 01:36 PM
embdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Zettinger

My understanding is the with the exception of the V-12 rims, the Aston rims do not have enough space for the studs to go in the rims "pockets". The original wheel studs would have to be cut.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.