Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Custom: AM Logo'd floor mats

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-04-2017, 06:29 PM
supraholic will become famous soon enoughsupraholic will become famous soon enough
Custom: AM Logo'd floor mats

Hi All,

After sending multiple emails to custom car floor mat suppliers (that do embroidery), I got impatient and decided to make them myself. I saw a post recently where someone bought these good looking patches on eBay and ironed them onto his mats (link http://www.ebay.com/itm/ASTON-MARTIN-AUTO-CAR-IRON-ON-EMBROIDERed-PATCH-4-5-X-1-5-INCHES-Racing-/282486515190?hash=item41c58225f6:g:XGMAAOSwTM5Y7~D d&vxp=mtr"]here). But rather than risk destroying my OEM mats, I picked up a set of mats from qualitycarmats.com (link http://www.qualitycarmats.com/"]here)--$91.95 shipped so they are super affordable. Here are a few pics; I'm impressed with the quality.

I opted to get the heal pad for the drivers side mat:

Btw, before I ordered, they offer free color samples on their website...I ordered 3 different tones of gray since I had no idea what color would match best. (On the under side of the battery panel cover in my car, I found a label that indicated the carpet color is "Lightweight Phantom" so I knew it wasn't Obsidian black). Here are the color samples I got:

And here are the samples laid out in the footwell of my car. It was a toss-up between "Charcoal" and "Graphite". The lighting here is a little deceptive as the Graphite had a twinge of blue in it--which didn't match. Therefore, I ended up selecting Charcoal:

Next up, glue the patches I sourced off eBay to the mats. In order to achieve the 'embroidered' look, I decided to trim out the plush carpeting where the patch would be glued. Once I figured out where I wanted to the logo placed on the mat, I masked off the perimeter so I could carefully give the plush a 'haircut':

My Dremel tool with cutoff wheel does the work nicely. I didn't go too crazy--I simply wanted the patch to sit below the carpet pile once glued down:

Here's the glue I used...picked it up at Michael's art/craft store. It dries clear too so if some oozes out the sides of the patch, it will be invisible:

Here's a couple shots of the patch installed. It sits down in the carpet pile nicely--looks as if it was embroidered right on the mat:

Here are the mats done, ready to be installed!

Installed on the passenger side...

...and the drivers side:

The color is VERY close to the OEM carpet color. I'm very happy with the results. I hate spending lots of money on car mats since they are supposed to get 'dirty'; so now I won't get mad when one of my kids tracks crap onto these mats.

Best,
-Dan

Last edited by GT3 Chuck; 06-05-2017 at 02:24 PM.
Old 06-04-2017, 07:01 PM
Gene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond repute
Very nice. I wish I had thought of that. I just fit them with an iron.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0460.JPG
Views:	74
Size:	1,010.2 KB
ID:	477847  

Last edited by Gene G; 06-04-2017 at 07:03 PM.
Old 06-04-2017, 07:03 PM
Dalecannavan is a splendid one to beholdDalecannavan is a splendid one to beholdDalecannavan is a splendid one to beholdDalecannavan is a splendid one to beholdDalecannavan is a splendid one to beholdDalecannavan is a splendid one to behold
Excellent job

Old 06-04-2017, 07:07 PM
Aldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud of
Hey...clever guy...nice work...thanks for the update.
I was looking on eBay and saw AM mats with emblem but much higher than your idea...now I may copy you! Lol

Old 06-04-2017, 07:12 PM
Jeff_335i is a splendid one to beholdJeff_335i is a splendid one to beholdJeff_335i is a splendid one to beholdJeff_335i is a splendid one to beholdJeff_335i is a splendid one to beholdJeff_335i is a splendid one to beholdJeff_335i is a splendid one to behold
Looks great! Might be a good project for winter.

Old 06-05-2017, 06:34 AM
W126C will become famous soon enough
Much appreciated, thanks for the info.

Regards,

Old 06-05-2017, 12:38 PM
davidm17 is on a distinguished road
Gene, which floor mats are those in your car? I like the larger heal pad area - more like the stock floor.

Old 06-05-2017, 01:01 PM
Gene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond repute
My floor mats are from Aston Martin. They have a tag on them from Aston Martin. They are the same green carpet as the rest of the carpet in the car.

Old 06-05-2017, 01:54 PM
davidm17 is on a distinguished road
Thanks. I asked because the ones I saw at astonmartinbits looked different:

http://www.astonmartinbits.com/models/5-V8-Vantage/parts/1792

but then when I look at the ones on the Aston Martin site they look like yours:

https://www.astonmartin.com/en/accessories/v8-vantage/care-protection/floor-mats---v8-v12-vantage-s-(2-piece)

So I'm not sure what AMbits is selling, but they don't seem to be the same ones AM is selling. Unless the picture on AMbits is out of date.

Last edited by GT3 Chuck; 06-05-2017 at 02:28 PM.
Old 06-20-2017, 06:45 PM
Dalecannavan is a splendid one to beholdDalecannavan is a splendid one to beholdDalecannavan is a splendid one to beholdDalecannavan is a splendid one to beholdDalecannavan is a splendid one to beholdDalecannavan is a splendid one to behold
Supraholic, I copied your method and ended up with these. Thanks for leading the way on this, I'm chuffed with the results.

Drivers side

Pass side.

Old 06-20-2017, 07:34 PM
Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !
Very nicely done! I will try this!
CATTMAN

Old 06-20-2017, 08:42 PM
supraholic will become famous soon enoughsupraholic will become famous soon enough
Wow--very nice!!! Well done.

Originally Posted by Dalecannavan
Supraholic, I copied your method and ended up with these. Thanks for leading the way on this, I'm chuffed with the results.

Drivers side

Pass side.

Old 06-22-2017, 01:11 AM
pikajew is on a distinguished road
Wow that looks good. To anyone looking, I highly recommend ExotiCare mats.

Old 01-19-2019, 04:46 PM
Alien32 has much to be proud ofAlien32 has much to be proud ofAlien32 has much to be proud ofAlien32 has much to be proud ofAlien32 has much to be proud ofAlien32 has much to be proud ofAlien32 has much to be proud ofAlien32 has much to be proud ofAlien32 has much to be proud of
I know this is an old thread, but I hope you don't mind that I've copied nearly exactly what you did including trimming down the pile. I figure everyone knows that if you post something on the internet, you can't be surprised if others copy. Take it as a sign of admiration of a good idea. I used a clamp on the patches to ensure the glue stuck.

Old 01-19-2019, 06:26 PM
MRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Alien32
I know this is an old thread, but I hope you don't mind that I've copied nearly exactly what you did including trimming down the pile. I figure everyone knows that if you post something on the internet, you can't be surprised if others copy. Take it as a sign of admiration of a good idea. I used a clamp on the patches to ensure the glue stuck.

You actually don't need to risk cutting the pile. Epoxy glue clamped overnight works great

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Custom: AM Logo'd floor mats