Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Built in floor mats?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-07-2017, 03:42 PM
davidm17 is on a distinguished road
Built in floor mats?

There have been a couple threads about floor mats so I was looking at getting some for my 2013 car. I hadn't paid much attention to the foot wells of the car, but there is a large heel pad where you would expect one on the driver's side. Upon closer inspection it looks like the floor mats are built-in. The floor of the foot area is a separate piece of carpet that has the edging like a floor mat. It is velcro'ed at the top and held in place by a couple metal pieces under the seat. There's no carpet underneath it and I presume you can get just the floor-mat pieces of carpet if it wears out.

Are people putting other floor mats on top of these built-in mats or did the earlier cars just come with a one-piece carpet? Does anyone know if you order floor mats for a 2013 car from Aston what you will get? I'm thinking you might get another set of the mats that are built-in. You can't pull the built-in mats out to clean them easily - you have to get a hex head bit to undo the metal clamps - but that isn't too big a deal. I like the look of the Aston mats the best, but I might as well wait till the built-in mats wear out instead of spending $400 on a set now.

Wondering if I missed this somewhere.

David

Old 06-07-2017, 04:35 PM
XJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond repute
Those are carpets. AM mats are not the same as the carpets; they attach only at the seat end and the driver's mat doesn't go as far up.

Old 06-07-2017, 09:46 PM
blue2000s is a jewel in the roughblue2000s is a jewel in the roughblue2000s is a jewel in the rough
It's the same on all years. It's also similar to early Porsches in my experience. The carpet is in separate pieces. Why wear out the carpet when a sacrificial mat can preserve the original?

Old 06-08-2017, 01:28 PM
davidm17 is on a distinguished road
If the mats were cheaper than the floor carpets then using mats makes sense. However, the AM mats are just about as much as the carpets. So you wind up paying the same to replace whether you wear out the mats or the carpets. non-AM mats don't match the carpet color exactly and the ones I've looked at so far have a really small heal pad compared to the AM mats. I have big feet and the large heal pad is nice. I'm going to look at some more mats to see if I can find one I like, but for the price of the AM ones it seems like you might as well just go without and replace the carpet pieces when the time comes.

David

Old 06-08-2017, 07:26 PM
Aldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud of
Wow...I must be stupid. I read this thread and checked my car...darn...I am dumb! I did not realize the prior owner had put a carpet over the original AM one...lol

The original AM is in perfect shape...I am not sure ever used....haha now I know why I never found this pad you guys mentioned.... evening from a dumb AM owner..

Old 06-08-2017, 08:09 PM
HabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to all
I personally don't like the pad and prefer heels on carpet. Get a little wet and your base isn't stable.

When I picked up my car after clutch/service they had washed it [after strict instructions not to] and had "cleaned" the pad with a rag I can only imagine had tire shine on it, because as soon as my heels touched it they flew to the pedals it was so slick. The service writer had to put simple green on a rag and rub it down good, twice, before it wasn't slick. I'd much rather just have carpet there.

Old 06-09-2017, 10:53 AM
rohnin is on a distinguished road
I just bought OEM mats that go over the attached carpet. But they move around unless you follow instructions to poke holes in the carpet underneath, which I would never do

Old 06-09-2017, 11:13 AM
blue2000s is a jewel in the roughblue2000s is a jewel in the roughblue2000s is a jewel in the rough
I have a set of cheap aftermarket mats. Sacrificial. Oddly, they tend to bunch up under the seat instead of under the pedals, so no need to lock them onto the carpet.

Old 02-07-2020, 03:10 PM
AXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to behold
I had fancy carpeted floor mats custom made and I simply put two way tape underneath to hold them in place... with no problems.

Old 07-04-2022, 12:43 AM
NickJones88 is an unknown quantity at this point
I bought mine from Maxx Car Mats. The mats are really cool and fit my car well, key point is their is much much cheaper than Diamond car mats, I have no complaint on the products and service.

Here is their link if you are interested: www.maxxcarmats.com

Old 07-06-2022, 06:26 PM
convexproblem will become famous soon enough
I have some spare replacement mats for an old car that I toss over the OEM mat. They slide around and sometimes mess with the pedals but for whatever reason I've been okay putting up with that problem.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.