Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

100k mile report

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-08-2017, 03:43 PM
oo7
oo7 is infamous around these partsoo7 is infamous around these parts
100k mile report

I have mixed feelings regarding this post as it may result in things unintended. As a caveat to this review, I am 56, have had plenty of seat time in open wheel race cars. I have driven my AM like all the other street cars I have owned and am particular about a few things. In every car I have owned I changed the oil every 5k miles or sooner depending on conditions. I am likely more familiar than many as to what wears a car and being a touch parsimonious tend to avoid conditions and behavior that may exacerbate wear. To that end, do not run the car at wot or rpm above 4k until completely warmed up (10-15min), Also, after a long trip or car sitting for more than two days, use the extended storage start procedure (thank you FoMoCo). The only issue I have had has been tie-rod replacement, failing cats, and intake air temp sensor and ac needs charged every 24 mos. so leak somewhere. Have had rockers and front resprayed twice. Have cracked rims twice and have one out of round now. This is due to country roads, thrown shoes (horse) and RR tracks. My shocks are worn but do not impede performance or drivability. The right rear bushing are only slightly more worn than 60k miles ago and is no more squirrelly than then. I changed plugs at 40k miles to non oem and have not changed since, however, it is soon time. I have not followed the AM recommended service schedule, as it is not designed for the way I drive and though I love the marque, feel no need to subsidize their service dept. I think this car was designed with much excess and unnecessary robustness for which I am thankful.

Sorry, a bit remiss not including a few more details. Second owner, 2007, fully optioned, high flow cats, AM power upgrade. I have covered 85k miles after acquiring 7 yrs ago. Clutch is original. I will check on plugs, they were reccomended by my indie garage. Also forgot to mention, replaced pads/rotors on front once and pads rear once. The rear pads and perhaps rotors will be replaced next spring. on 4th set of PSS's Also replaced all door, hood, and trunk struts. These I consider routine maintenance.

Last edited by oo7; 06-09-2017 at 08:48 AM.
Old 06-08-2017, 04:25 PM
Graze is a name known to allGraze is a name known to allGraze is a name known to allGraze is a name known to allGraze is a name known to allGraze is a name known to all
And the unstated but obvious , given 100k miles, is your love of the car

Well done

May you long enjoy your car - they are stunning

Graze

Old 06-08-2017, 07:17 PM
Aldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud of
I think being honest on how you drive and maintain your car reflex's well with me! I admire you.

​​​​​​Most good cars are over engineered to protect the type of people that buy them....most threads on here are about breakdowns of everything but the engine...most complain of the stupid code lights but never fix till forced...I have read hundreds of these threads...god I have a boring life! Haha

I really enjoyed your frankness! I hope you reach 200000 miles and report more....evening

Duke

Old 06-08-2017, 08:22 PM
HabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to all
I just found a bent rim washing the car today ;/

That's 100k of pure pleasure. It's good to see these get driven. What year is it, and are you the original owner?

You also said you don't follow their service regimen but you change the oil twice as often as suggested. Is it the brake flush and other fluids you let go longer?

Old 06-08-2017, 09:59 PM
iandavies is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by oo7
Also, after a long trip or car sitting for more than two days, use the extended storage start procedure (thank you FoMoCo).
What do you mean by this?

Old 06-08-2017, 10:20 PM
ahcjar103 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by iandavies
What do you mean by this?
there's a certain procedure you can use when starting the car after it's been sitting for a while. it will pop-up in a search for the term oo7 used.

Old 06-08-2017, 10:38 PM
blue2000s is a jewel in the roughblue2000s is a jewel in the roughblue2000s is a jewel in the rough
It's not complicated, just hold the gas pedal to the floor while pressing the start button until the oil light on the dash goes out. That builds oil pressure before you start the car. The procedure is in your owner's manual.

Old 06-08-2017, 10:39 PM
iandavies is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by blue2000s
It's not complicated, just hold the gas pedal to the floor while pressing the start button until the oil light on the dash goes out. That builds oil pressure before you start the car.
Thanks.

Old 06-08-2017, 10:43 PM
HabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to all
I would believe it distributes the oil throughout the engine, but as soon as you back off the key you've lost pressure. If you [as read] let off the gas while still holding in the start you would keep the oil pressure, but it's only oil pressure built at [what is start rpm, 200?] low rpm so, not alot of pressure. Distribution of the oil would be the objective IMO, but I'm certainly no expert!

Old 06-08-2017, 10:50 PM
blue2000s is a jewel in the roughblue2000s is a jewel in the roughblue2000s is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by HabitualOffender
I would believe it distributes the oil throughout the engine, but as soon as you back off the key you've lost pressure. If you [as read] let off the gas while still holding in the start you would keep the oil pressure, but it's only oil pressure built at [what is start rpm, 200?] low rpm so, not alot of pressure. Distribution of the oil would be the objective IMO, but I'm certainly no expert!
Strictly speaking, you're right, but the action of building oil pressure is what drives the oil throughout the engine. The end result of coating the engine with oil before the subjecting them to the loads introduced when the engine is driven by combustion is the benefit.

Old 06-08-2017, 10:54 PM
We're pretty much saying the same thing. If I'm ever not in the car for a week I may remember to try this, but it's my DD so probably unlikely. And I have a tough time waiting the 5 seconds for the traction control to turn off. Why can't I just one touch it's off?! AM safety engineering gone wrong.

Old 06-09-2017, 06:34 AM
cadman is a jewel in the roughcadman is a jewel in the roughcadman is a jewel in the rough
oo7
you mentioned you changed sparkplugs to non oem,
what plugs did you use ?

Old 06-09-2017, 06:53 AM
Dalecannavan is a splendid one to beholdDalecannavan is a splendid one to beholdDalecannavan is a splendid one to beholdDalecannavan is a splendid one to beholdDalecannavan is a splendid one to beholdDalecannavan is a splendid one to behold
oo7, have you changed your clutch? If so, at what mileage?

Old 06-09-2017, 08:45 AM
oo7
oo7 is infamous around these partsoo7 is infamous around these parts
Sorry, a bit remiss not including a few more details. Second owner, 2007, fully optioned, high flow cats, AM power upgrade. I have cover 85k miles after acquiring 7 yrs ago. Clutch is original. I will check on plugs, were reccomended by my indie garage. Also forgot to mention, replaced pads/rotors on front once and pads rear once. The rears will be replace next spring again. on 4th set of PSS's Also replaced all door, hood, and trunk struts.

Old 06-09-2017, 09:19 AM
ahcjar103 is infamous around these parts
that's great work with the clutch! i have 46k on my v8v and still on original clutch.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.