Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

2008 vantage

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-15-2017, 02:14 PM
mike_787 is an unknown quantity at this point
2008 vantage

HI all,
new here and considering a 2008 vantage convertible with 21k miles.
How long can one expect the clutch to last in these? What is the cost of replacement?
Any common problems with this model I should be aware of? could this be used as a daily driver? They are asking $49k. Is this a reasonable price?

thanks in advance,
Mike

Old 06-15-2017, 02:24 PM
embdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to behold
No easy answer on the clutch life. Fact The clutch is not the strong point in these cars. That said, if one is careful with the clutch it can last quite some time. How long varies, as it seems some cars might have been manifactured with sub-par clutch facing ( not sure what years) At 21k if it's the original clutch I would assume that, more likely than not, that you are close to the end of the clutch life.
Cost varies. My guess is 5k and up with the most expensive being the dual clutch setup.

Old 06-15-2017, 02:26 PM
embdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to behold
One other point. Everything being equal, one can expect a longer clutch life from the manual than the Sport shift

Old 06-15-2017, 02:31 PM
Banned
Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !
You can definitely use the car as a daily driver, but it can be tough in a dense city due to visibility and ride height (may not be an issue for you) but I know a number of people that do it without too much trouble.

As above, clutch is something of a wildcard. AMR (Aston's new in-house performance brand) has just released a twin-plate clutch and lightweight flywheel package that should alleviate all the issues of the original standard clutch (lighter clutch pedal, better engine response, and longer lifespan). Typical installation is somewhere in the $1500-2k range, but can vary a bit based on the shop doing the work.
http://www.redpants.lol/shop/amr-clutchflywheel-package

$49k is reasonable for an '08, but there are a lot of factors to consider (car condition, needed maintenance/repairs, options, etc).

Old 06-15-2017, 02:46 PM
Originally Posted by Redpants
You can definitely use the car as a daily driver, but it can be tough in a dense city due to visibility and ride height (may not be an issue for you) but I know a number of people that do it without too much trouble.

As above, clutch is something of a wildcard. AMR (Aston's new in-house performance brand) has just released a twin-plate clutch and lightweight flywheel package that should alleviate all the issues of the original standard clutch (lighter clutch pedal, better engine response, and longer lifespan). Typical installation is somewhere in the $1500-2k range, but can vary a bit based on the shop doing the work.
http://www.redpants.lol/shop/amr-clutchflywheel-package

$49k is reasonable for an '08, but there are a lot of factors to consider (car condition, needed maintenance/repairs, options, etc).

the car has sportshift (F1), so clutch pedal is not involved. It has just been serviced. Are the roadsters rattle free or is this a concern?
thanks

Old 06-15-2017, 02:55 PM
Banned
Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !
You can have a dealership check clutch life in Sportshift cars.
Have the dealership do a PPI on it - it'll be worth the investment.

Old 06-15-2017, 08:16 PM
Aldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud of
Hi...Rich is correct the dealer can check and do a complete inspection on the car....not too expensive ...as for manuals being better ...lol
just research threads here and other forums...more listings for bad clutches and at lower mileage than the auto-shifts...some as little as 5000 miles
​​​​​​
Keep in mind most guys modify their 08 back cars while newer AM we're fixed by the factory...the clutch in 09 had lighter flywheel and better clutch improvement.

If really serious get the AM book on buying and go to redpants website ..a great source of information.

Good luck

​​​​
​​​​

Old 06-15-2017, 09:09 PM
jmargolese will become famous soon enoughjmargolese will become famous soon enough
I have an 08 roadster, sportshift. 23k miles, not daily driven. Clutch is fine, but I do get the cold shudder, once warm it's great. I have many mods and love the car. My next mod is the new Am clutch but no rush. Let me know if you have q's

Old 06-16-2017, 06:43 AM
I talked with an Aston mechanic last night and now know it has the same F1 transmission as the Ferrari F430 etc. At 21,000 miles he said if the clutch hasn't been replaced it is surely due very soon. cost $7k. It is all moot though as the car may be sold, I'll find out today. This shop can do the PPI for $550, takes 3 hours. Can anyone tell me - does a 2015 vantage have the DCT transmission? this is the same unit used on the 2010 and newer Ferrari California.

Old 06-16-2017, 08:26 AM
Banned
No current Aston has a dual clutch transmission. There's the manual, the automated manual (Sportshift/ASM), and automatic.

Old 06-16-2017, 03:33 PM
HabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Aldv
Hi...Rich is correct the dealer can check and do a complete inspection on the car....not too expensive ...as for manuals being better ...lol
just research threads here and other forums...more listings for bad clutches and at lower mileage than the auto-shifts...some as little as 5000 miles
​​​​​​​​​​
​​​​
Sure, but I blame that on a 60 year old billionaire that never learned to drive a clutch, and never took the traction control off

As for which is better, neither. Whatever floats your boat is what is better, for you. A manual is definitely better for me. I never get that level of driving pleasure out of any automated manual, flappy paddle, or automatic. Now if I'm an hour in 2MPH stop and go highway traffic I would definitely prefer a flappy paddle. But that is the only time I even consider it.

Old 06-16-2017, 06:11 PM
Aldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud of
Hi...H-O forgot about your bad clutch going bad early as not your fault...I am corrected...thanks...add another to the manual early failure list here ....lol

Old 06-21-2017, 01:05 PM
bobsilver is an unknown quantity at this point
I just bought an 08 V8 Roadster Sport Shift with 25k miles and 1 owner. Bought it remotely and wasnt able to get it inspected and could only do due diligence through video and questions. Got the car and then got it serviced. Here are the things to look out for.

Timing chain cover leak. On the early 4.3 this appears to be an issue. Mine has it. An unpleasant surprise.
Shock absorber leaking. Mine are just beginning to show leaks.
Rear tranny seepage. Not much but it isnt completely dry.

My other failures were serpentine belt replace and I had 2 O2 sensors go bad and got charged full Aston price at $300 each! plus labor.

Benefits of an 08 car though is it has a USB port and iPod interface!!!! This allow me mt to buy a Tune2Air and plug it in and get bluetooth streaming from my phone!!! All for a $100.

Old 06-21-2017, 03:41 PM
StormDK is an unknown quantity at this point
Just stumbled over this used Aston Vantage guide...

It is in Deutch, but has subtitles.. quite informative apart from the rubbish about the sportshift being crap

happy hunting

Old 06-21-2017, 08:21 PM
Gene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond repute
I have a 2008 Vantage with a manual that just turned 23000 miles. I had a 2009 with the sportshift. The 2009 was owned by a Ferrari dealer's wife. It was cared for like a dealer car. The 2008 was a one owner that was fastidiously cared for with every service documented and performed by the same dealer that sold it new. The difference between the two is incredible. The 2008 is so much a nicer car it looks and performs as new. The 2008 has the smaller 4.3 engine but has the factory performance pack and a Quicksilver exhaust. I have installed 200 cel cats and an X pipe and had Eurocharge dyno tuned it. I think it now out performs the 4.7 in the 2009. Take your time searching. There is the car you really want out there. Don't settle for something less than your dream. It will be worth the wait.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.