Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Replace airbags

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-16-2017, 07:07 AM
MRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond repute
Replace airbags

Reading thru manual and note that AML requires airbag replacement every 10 years... has anyone done there's yet? I'm a bit sensitive to this since my BMW got caught up in the Tanaka airbag recall... anyone know how much and is this for all airbags?

Old 06-16-2017, 08:29 AM
Banned
Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !
The Takata recall was due to the airbags injuring people (shrapnel, or being too powerful, or something, can't remember specifically off the top of my head). It wasn't due to the airbags expiring.

Airbag expiration dates are preemptive maintenance in case the explosive charges in the airbags lose their potency. If they do, they won't be able to fully inflate the airbag quickly enough, so your risk of faceplanting the steering wheel is increased.

In reality, actual replacements aren't terribly common from what I've seen.

Old 06-16-2017, 09:12 AM
Zettinger is a glorious beacon of lightZettinger is a glorious beacon of lightZettinger is a glorious beacon of lightZettinger is a glorious beacon of lightZettinger is a glorious beacon of light
What I remember Tanaka's Airbags exploded to late.

To explain the Tanaka problem:

Not sure what the routine is to replaced the Airbags as maintenance.

Old 06-16-2017, 03:22 PM
embdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to behold
Personally, I will not worry about it. AFAIK, most manufactures have no expiration dates and Aston airbags are not unique to Aston.

Old 06-16-2017, 05:59 PM
Aldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud of
Yes...manual states air bags and seat belts...only manual I have read that stresses the safety stuff and recommends.

It makes sense for safety reasons but how many people actually change... probably few to none...

Remember one thing on these cars...Many drive them hard and slamming brakes hard to stop etc...puts stress on the belts. The angle that holds you in the vantage helps create additional wear...I can see it my car from prior owners...

This is one time I would contact a tech not the forum and get professional advice if worried...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.