Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Brembo brake calipers

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-09-2017, 10:37 AM
DetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud of
Brembo brake calipers

Having taken off the wheels numerous times as well as changing out the springs/coilovers I have managed to chip the beautiful brembo red calipers in a couple of spots.

Has anyone successfully touched up the red calipers and if so any recommendations on product/color code? Brembo was of no assistance.

Thanks

Old 07-09-2017, 10:57 AM
Timodc is a splendid one to beholdTimodc is a splendid one to beholdTimodc is a splendid one to beholdTimodc is a splendid one to beholdTimodc is a splendid one to beholdTimodc is a splendid one to beholdTimodc is a splendid one to beholdTimodc is a splendid one to behold
Depends on the year of the car because the red changes slightly over the last decade... but I've used this porsche touch up paint and it matched quite well. Also topped it with some high temp clear coat. The red porsche paint will withstand very high temps.
911-095-932-20-80k

Old 07-09-2017, 11:02 AM
DetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Timodc
Depends on the year of the car because the red changes slightly over the last decade... but I've used this porsche touch up paint and it matched quite well. Also topped it with some high temp clear coat. The red porsche paint will withstand very high temps.
911-095-932-20-80k
Thanks! Calipers were painted way back in 09 when I had the sport pack added to the car. Did you apply by brush and what high temp clear did you use?

Old 07-09-2017, 11:09 AM
Timodc is a splendid one to beholdTimodc is a splendid one to beholdTimodc is a splendid one to beholdTimodc is a splendid one to beholdTimodc is a splendid one to beholdTimodc is a splendid one to beholdTimodc is a splendid one to beholdTimodc is a splendid one to behold
Yes this is a brush-on touch up paint. I believe I found the high temp clear touch up on eBay. I'll look for the link and post it if I can find it

Old 07-10-2017, 06:01 PM
SheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to all
Originally Posted by DetomasoGTS74
Thanks! Calipers were painted way back in 09 when I had the sport pack added to the car. Did you apply by brush and what high temp clear did you use?
Likely the spots on the calipers are not really all that noticeable with the wheels on the car. But it bugs you. So...

Get the read paint that matches close as you can stand, then there is CLEAR at Auto Zone. (any of the High Temp Rattle Cans)

This is not professional, but I would take the red and touch color it with a small brush or foam q-tip. Let it dry. You could just as easily take the rattle can and spray a quick spray to cover it, but also you could (this is what I would do) take the can and spray clear into the cap of the can, then use foam q-tip with the clear to cover the spot. Thats all I would do, until you completely refinish them.

I have long debated of buying 4x calipers from AM Bits, having them redone for my specifications, then install them on my car removing my calipers at the same time. Then Sell my calipers. That way the whole car is only down for a afternoon, and I don't have to mess with a bunch of jack stands.

But, that is over 1k and not sure how much I would get and how long it would take to sell them. I also have suggested this to REDPANTS. Basically trade in and make a few dollars a set. 4-5 sets down the road you would pay for the original and the rest would be profit. But, questions like caliper condition, worn calipers etc.... popped up. Not sure too many owners have worn theirs enough to make any difference. So this is just a thought. What you think sir.

Old 07-11-2017, 06:48 AM
Originally Posted by SheriffDep
Likely the spots on the calipers are not really all that noticeable with the wheels on the car. But it bugs you. So...

Get the read paint that matches close as you can stand, then there is CLEAR at Auto Zone. (any of the High Temp Rattle Cans)

This is not professional, but I would take the red and touch color it with a small brush or foam q-tip. Let it dry. You could just as easily take the rattle can and spray a quick spray to cover it, but also you could (this is what I would do) take the can and spray clear into the cap of the can, then use foam q-tip with the clear to cover the spot. Thats all I would do, until you completely refinish them.

I have long debated of buying 4x calipers from AM Bits, having them redone for my specifications, then install them on my car removing my calipers at the same time. Then Sell my calipers. That way the whole car is only down for a afternoon, and I don't have to mess with a bunch of jack stands.

But, that is over 1k and not sure how much I would get and how long it would take to sell them. I also have suggested this to REDPANTS. Basically trade in and make a few dollars a set. 4-5 sets down the road you would pay for the original and the rest would be profit. But, questions like caliper condition, worn calipers etc.... popped up. Not sure too many owners have worn theirs enough to make any difference. So this is just a thought. What you think sir.

Thanks for the ideas with the clear, I will be taking that approach. I ordered Porsche Guards Red touch up and will post results. Interesting idea on the calipers but agree not knowing the condition on a wear item could be concerning.

Old 07-11-2017, 08:00 AM
SheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to all
Thanks for the ideas with the clear, I will be taking that approach. I ordered Porsche Guards Red touch up and will post results. Interesting idea on the calipers but agree not knowing the condition on a wear item could be concerning.
Yep, your taking the best approach to take care of this. Even if the paint is a bit brighter, likely the placement of the dings with the wheels on wont make a huge difference.

Might want to take the time at this point to touch up the "HATs" of the calipers with black. I would get the rattle can high temp black, spray in cap, or something similar, then brush the areas that are discolored black. no need to clear those areas. There might even be areas of rust, so first brush them with a steel wired toothbrush or even a brass gun cleaning brush. Just get the rust off, then clean with mineral spirits or similar then paint. Will clean up the hub area nicely.

Old 07-11-2017, 10:34 AM
EuroKip is an unknown quantity at this point
Nail polish. It's enamel and tons of red to choose from.

Old 07-12-2017, 09:05 PM
Originally Posted by SheriffDep

Might want to take the time at this point to touch up the "HATs" of the calipers with black. I would get the rattle can high temp black, spray in cap, or something similar, then brush the areas that are discolored black. no need to clear those areas. There might even be areas of rust, so first brush them with a steel wired toothbrush or even a brass gun cleaning brush. Just get the rust off, then clean with mineral spirits or similar then paint. Will clean up the hub area nicely.
Are you referring to the rotor hats? Good call!

Old 07-12-2017, 09:16 PM
Originally Posted by EuroKip
Nail polish. It's enamel and tons of red to choose from.
Is enamel more durable than the touch up paint? Guards red was perfect match so happy with color, just not sure on durability over time.

Old 07-13-2017, 08:29 AM
Is enamel more durable than the touch up paint? Guards red was perfect match so happy with color, just not sure on durability over time.
Understandable question, but...... if you used a brush or q-tip to fill the spot and then did the same with the clear, it is possibly that when using brushes to clean them and the wheel you might pop the repair spot off. This happens to me for hood rock marks where you mix color paint and a bit of clear together and use a needle to fill in the pin ***** marks on the hood and front bumper. However, not all the spots will fully adhere to the part. Some last much longer than others and I noticed it mostly when polishing or waxing and some spots would flake off.

If you sprayed the clear then no worries or likely if brushed no worries either. Would worry about it any more. 1. It likely took you less than 5x min to repair, so if it flakes or gets bumped again, then its only 5x more min of your time. 2. You did the best possibly way to repair without having them totally redone. In this case paint is paint and the clear is the same regardless, so if done well this should not be a factor.

I had my calipers powder coated last DEC. I hate the color and regret doing them. However, I will PAINT them next time. Should have had that done the first go around but thought why not let say do it right. 1k later not worth it. When home next winter, I will remove them, scuff them up for paint to adhere, and then put regular PPG automotive paint in my specific color (Honda Fresh Copper w/ 3 drops of black; 1 drop of brown, and 2 drops of forest green). This is identical to 96% accuracy to the MB Carbon Ceramic caliper color. Then apply my caliper stickers, then spray HVT High Temp Clear on the calipers. They will stay perfect for years to come with no doubts. Done in 2 days. And free to boot. So that is my plan

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.