Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Harness Bar

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-04-2017, 10:41 AM
era2076 is on a distinguished road
Yea the aluminum thing would have to be engineered. I thought maybe a shape similar to the chassis bars turned so the major dimension was parallel to ground might be stiff enough. It would need FEA.

Never thought of using both - interesting. I could see trying this if I did not have to ruin the interior. I am not concerned with safety. I sign a waiver everywhere I go. If killed, I'm good to go. If ruined, well damn - I really screwed up.

The CG lock is very interesting, though I do like both shoulders restrained under braking. I ordered the CG lock and will give it a try.

Here is an interesting site - 1.75 x.750 wall DOM - pretty strong stuff.

https://www.roguefab.com/tube-calculator/

x-chr

Old 08-04-2017, 11:49 AM
Basic Sponsor
Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by pdacton
The harness bar has to withstand a force of over 5,000 lb in an accident - I don't think a piece of DOM or aluminum you have lying around on the shop floor is quite up to the task. OEM seat belt anchors are rated for over 8,000 lb. Not trying to start an argument here - I am genuinely concerned for your safety. Or are you thinking the harness will be used in addition to the OEM seat belt? The harness holds you tight during driving, the seat belt is there for an accident?
I don't mean just 'a piece' of DOM, I mean a proper harness bar, triangulated and securely mounted. You're then spreading the load across multiple mounting points. You would still want to use OEM mounting points for the lap belt mounts on a harness.

This is a good example:

206 Maple Avenue
Oliver, BC
Canada V2A 4W6
Office: (1)250-485-5126
www.velocityap.com
Old 08-04-2017, 02:02 PM
era2076 is on a distinguished road
Beautiful

chr

Old 08-05-2017, 07:11 AM
Montana107 is on a distinguished road
Nice picture Stuart! That would be the business!

I have seen several harness bars where they mount to the factory seat belt mounting points. I had one many years ago for a BMW made of stainless steel. Don't know how much demand there would be for this in an Aston Martin for mass market. Mine came with longer bolts for the door side lap belt and shoulder belt if you wanted to mount the harness bar and still use the factory belts. This could certainly be fabricated for just about any car if the fabricator had the proper skills.

I eventually moved to a 4 point roll bar for that BMW. I would think the direction that Redpants is going is very interesting and a better direction than a harness bar. A 4 point bolt in roll bar, Recaro seats with seat bracket floor adapters and ability to use factory seat belt or a 5/6 point harness. Just like the club sport package on the Porsche GT3. After the first cage is made and installed it should be easy to duplicate and do a clean install. Can't wait to see the finished product!

Old 08-06-2017, 08:35 AM
Scotty4300 is on a distinguished road
The Roadster is fitted with rollover bars which eject behind the driver and passenger seats in the event that the car turns over.
Aston advises that on a track day you should drive with the top open as the bars could deploy on harsh or violent changes of direction.
Anyone had the rollover bars deploy?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.