Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Harness Bar

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-01-2017, 10:45 PM
era2076 is on a distinguished road
Harness Bar

Has anyone installed one in a Vantage? I've looked around, but have not been able to find anything. Would it be possible to somehow use the rear brace mounting to attach to?

x-chr

Old 08-02-2017, 04:54 AM
spinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to behold
Are you planning to change out the OEM seat? Where are you going to route the harnesses? To what will you bolt the harnesses?

Old 08-02-2017, 12:34 PM
That is the question. I was hoping there was something structural we could adapt to. Yes I would change the seat for track work.

x-chr

Old 08-03-2017, 08:39 AM
spinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to behold
Your best bet is to see how the racing Vantages are set up. But they will have full cages. I haven't looked into it myself, but I'm going to bet it would require trim removal if not actual cutting/modification, which is a route I would not be wiling to go down with my own car.

If you just want to have some fun on a circuit at 8 or 9/10, without turning your car into a dedicated track day machine, why not just get a CG Lock and use the OEM seat belts?

Old 08-03-2017, 09:45 AM
Banned
Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !
I'm having a local race shop fabricate a half-cage for my grey Vantage, including harness mounting points.
The Vantage AMR Pro apparently has a half-cage in it but I haven't gotten info on it yet.

Old 08-03-2017, 12:03 PM
akshon is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Redpants
I'm having a local race shop fabricate a half-cage for my grey Vantage, including harness mounting points.
The Vantage AMR Pro apparently has a half-cage in it but I haven't gotten info on it yet.
Hope you have it for sale later!

Old 08-03-2017, 01:04 PM
Originally Posted by spinecho
Your best bet .......
Definitely not willing to modify the interior unless it could look factory. Not familiar with the CG lock - I will look this up - Thank You

chr

Old 08-03-2017, 02:06 PM
pdacton has much to be proud ofpdacton has much to be proud ofpdacton has much to be proud ofpdacton has much to be proud ofpdacton has much to be proud ofpdacton has much to be proud ofpdacton has much to be proud ofpdacton has much to be proud of
Without a roll cage, a harness is very dangerous. In a rollover situation, if the roof collapses, your body has nowhere to go and your head and neck get crushed. As others have suggested, stick to the OEM seat belts for occasional track days. Have you tried the trick of moving the seat backwards, locking the seat belt, then moving the seat forward again - it really holds you in tight.

Old 08-03-2017, 02:52 PM
Originally Posted by pdacton
Without a roll cage, a harness is very dangerous. In a rollover situation, if the roof collapses, your body has nowhere to go and your head and neck get crushed. As others have suggested, stick to the OEM seat belts for occasional track days. Have you tried the trick of moving the seat backwards, locking the seat belt, then moving the seat forward again - it really holds you in tight.
Amen. And driving a car with a cage on the road without a helmet is also a bad idea - if you crash, there's a good chance your head will flail around and smack into the roll cage. Properly done half cages (example: 911 GT3 w/ Clubsport package) or integral roll hoops (example: Lotus Exige) are probably OK to use with harnesses, are probably OK on the road, and do offer some increase in protection, but nothing beats a full cage.

Old 08-03-2017, 03:28 PM
Originally Posted by pdacton
Have you tried the trick of moving the seat backwards, locking the seat belt, then moving the seat forward again - it really holds you in tight.
I have not, but I will

x-chr

Old 08-03-2017, 04:49 PM
Basic Sponsor
Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by spinecho
Your best bet is to see how the racing Vantages are set up. But they will have full cages. I haven't looked into it myself, but I'm going to bet it would require trim removal if not actual cutting/modification, which is a route I would not be wiling to go down with my own car.

If you just want to have some fun on a circuit at 8 or 9/10, without turning your car into a dedicated track day machine, why not just get a CG Lock and use the OEM seat belts?
I've been on the tour at AMR. The OEM GT4 Cage is put together with a continuous rear hoop + stays and a continuous front hoop. Regulations usually require that the front hoop is one piece, or that the two side hoops from where they meet the rear hoop, extending down into the footwell are one piece.

One option is, I may be able to get the rear hoop section from AMR but my guess is that the install would be too intrusive for most.

I do have a Vantage here in the shop longer term, a pile of DOM and a tube bender so if a harness bar is of interest we could put together a group buy for sure.

206 Maple Avenue
Oliver, BC
Canada V2A 4W6
Office: (1)250-485-5126
www.velocityap.com
Old 08-03-2017, 05:57 PM
I much prefer to drive in belts. For me its more about drive-ability than safety. I can brake much harder while staying relaxed than could ever be done in a 3 point setup.

Would be neat to see what you could come up with Stuart with the caveat you cannot destroy the interior.

chr

Old 08-03-2017, 06:26 PM
Basic Sponsor
Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by era2076
the caveat you cannot destroy the interior.

chr
Which is the trickiest part.

206 Maple Avenue
Oliver, BC
Canada V2A 4W6
Office: (1)250-485-5126
www.velocityap.com
Old 08-03-2017, 08:11 PM
yep - I don't know about using DOM. I was thinking of milling an aluminum piece - i realize the section may end up thick.

chr

Old 08-04-2017, 06:45 AM
pdacton has much to be proud ofpdacton has much to be proud ofpdacton has much to be proud ofpdacton has much to be proud ofpdacton has much to be proud ofpdacton has much to be proud ofpdacton has much to be proud ofpdacton has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by era2076
yep - I don't know about using DOM. I was thinking of milling an aluminum piece - i realize the section may end up thick.

chr
The harness bar has to withstand a force of over 5,000 lb in an accident - I don't think a piece of DOM or aluminum you have lying around on the shop floor is quite up to the task. OEM seat belt anchors are rated for over 8,000 lb. Not trying to start an argument here - I am genuinely concerned for your safety. Or are you thinking the harness will be used in addition to the OEM seat belt? The harness holds you tight during driving, the seat belt is there for an accident?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.