Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

WTF is going on here???? Paint issue

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-24-2017, 01:32 PM
anton28 will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by brightoncorgi
Could it be a poor paint job that finally gave the ghost? Paint was not adhered in that area for whatever reason?

Could be but that means the OEM side was also poor. However that doesnt explain of why both went bad at the same time. The body shop that did the repair was Aston Martin certified.

Old 10-24-2017, 02:44 PM
HabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to all
Sorry, I posted that 8 minutes after I got up [bed at 7am, home game on MNF ]

It is on the outside of the panel, there's a little on the bottom edge also, same place. The stake is tight.

Old 10-24-2017, 05:35 PM
SheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to all
It appears that somehow the strake is sliding. I don't think moving up and down, but rather side to side. Your quarter panels are CF correct? I don't think the DB9's are or at least until the most recent models.

CF quarter panels may somehow be flexing. Like not power or torque wise, but maybe when crossing speed bumps at an angle or driveways or entrances. I just am wondering if the quarter panel between the strake and the door is moving somehow which has pushed and pulled the paint.

It HAS to be either the strake moving, or the quarter panel moving or flexing. I highly doubt the CF panel expands or contracts with heat or cold, or if it does, it would be very minimal if at all. So that leaves just the flexing of the panel or movement of the strake.

Take a Go Pro and put it on the door right behind the panels and strakes. Then do your normal drive and see if you can see any type of flexing of the parts. If so then there is your answer.

I WOULD have the strake removed, then that area re-sprayed so its fixed, then have the panels PPF'd and the strake re-installed. That would prevent whatever is happening from happening again. I would also think a small strip of double sided tape under the strake might keep it off the piece, but also would have a small gap which i wouldn't like.

Try the video first and foremost. Might take a few drives to catch it. Try it on the side that is the worst side first.

Old 10-24-2017, 05:38 PM
HabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to all
Vantage are reinforced plastic, or something similar.

Old 10-24-2017, 06:34 PM
Vantagelvr will become famous soon enoughVantagelvr will become famous soon enough
I see your in California .
You guys have been getting crazy ambient temps there recently .
I wonder if the expansion rate of the strake is greater than the fender due to the extreme temps and thats your issue ?

Old 10-24-2017, 09:31 PM
Originally Posted by SheriffDep
It appears that somehow the strake is sliding. I don't think moving up and down, but rather side to side. Your quarter panels are CF correct? I don't think the DB9's are or at least until the most recent models.

CF quarter panels may somehow be flexing. Like not power or torque wise, but maybe when crossing speed bumps at an angle or driveways or entrances. I just am wondering if the quarter panel between the strake and the door is moving somehow which has pushed and pulled the paint.

It HAS to be either the strake moving, or the quarter panel moving or flexing. I highly doubt the CF panel expands or contracts with heat or cold, or if it does, it would be very minimal if at all. So that leaves just the flexing of the panel or movement of the strake.

Take a Go Pro and put it on the door right behind the panels and strakes. Then do your normal drive and see if you can see any type of flexing of the parts. If so then there is your answer.

I WOULD have the strake removed, then that area re-sprayed so its fixed, then have the panels PPF'd and the strake re-installed. That would prevent whatever is happening from happening again. I would also think a small strip of double sided tape under the strake might keep it off the piece, but also would have a small gap which i wouldn't like.

Try the video first and foremost. Might take a few drives to catch it. Try it on the side that is the worst side first.

What you are calling a quarter panel, I would call front fender. Just to make sure we are talking about the same thing. THen yes, quarter panel/front fenders are Carbon Fiber on the DBS.

It has to be just that. Flexing as I go over steep driveways and such.

It's going to the body shop to have fixed. I'm going to install thicker backing tape and also clear wrap the area where the strake is mounted and also make sure it's not overtightened. This should protect it from future damage.

Old 10-24-2017, 09:32 PM
Originally Posted by HabitualOffender
Sorry, I posted that 8 minutes after I got up [bed at 7am, home game on MNF ]

It is on the outside of the panel, there's a little on the bottom edge also, same place. The stake is tight.

Yup exactly what I got.

Old 10-24-2017, 09:33 PM
Originally Posted by Vantagelvr
I see your in California .
You guys have been getting crazy ambient temps there recently .
I wonder if the expansion rate of the strake is greater than the fender due to the extreme temps and thats your issue ?

This is interesting. Sounds like it possible could have added to the cauze.

Old 10-25-2017, 05:28 AM
sdekoning is a splendid one to beholdsdekoning is a splendid one to beholdsdekoning is a splendid one to beholdsdekoning is a splendid one to beholdsdekoning is a splendid one to beholdsdekoning is a splendid one to beholdsdekoning is a splendid one to behold
Have you guys thought of someone trying to pry-off the side-strake's with force? Perhaps someone that likes to upgrade his DB9.. Just something I would think of given the fact the paint is 2 years old and although ambient temps have been high lately I can't believe this would be a paint-defect related issue.

Old 10-25-2017, 07:15 AM
Vantagelvr will become famous soon enoughVantagelvr will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by anton28
This is interesting. Sounds like it possible could have added to the cauze.
Maybe the strakes are too tight and because of your crazy ambient temp swings and expansion of the strake the strake is cutting into the paint on expansion . If there was some kind of cushion strip between the strake and paint surface it would allow the strake to expand and not drag on the paint and cut into the surface .

Old 10-25-2017, 09:38 AM
Ron Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by MRCW
Looks like they didn't let the paint cure properly before installing the side grills and the edge dug into the paint during the curing process... now small vibrations or movement is causing the bubbling paint... only solution is to respray the panel...i wouldn't try to blend light metallic
I know you said it is not fresh paint, and I did read the full post.
I did have the same issue with my 2007 Vantage. Although I had the fender repainted, and when they reinstalled the vent chrome trim. It dug into the paint, about one day after I brought the car home.
They repainted the fender again, and all was good. This was the Aston Martin Dealers official body shop. They removed the front fender from the car to paint it both times. They also used there spray booth to bake the paint,
Has to this particular problem. I am at loss to explain it.
Ron

Old 10-25-2017, 10:13 AM
SheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to all
Originally Posted by sdekoning
Have you guys thought of someone trying to pry-off the side-strake's with force? Perhaps someone that likes to upgrade his DB9.. Just something I would think of given the fact the paint is 2 years old and although ambient temps have been high lately I can't believe this would be a paint-defect related issue.
Hey buddy,

That was my thought at first, and then the OP showed its below the strake also. But as has been mentioned the strake is tight and wont move. Obviously a person steeling them would apply much more pressure trying to move and remove them. But I really think its a forced movement due to the vehicle maneuvering angles where the body panels flex and twist a bit. Some tape under it, and some PPF in that area should prevent that from happening.

Old 10-25-2017, 11:03 AM
Mine is the original paint, as far as I know being the second owner, but there's no reason for me to believe it isn't.

Old 10-25-2017, 05:07 PM
Originally Posted by SheriffDep
Hey buddy,

That was my thought at first, and then the OP showed its below the strake also. But as has been mentioned the strake is tight and wont move. Obviously a person steeling them would apply much more pressure trying to move and remove them. But I really think its a forced movement due to the vehicle maneuvering angles where the body panels flex and twist a bit. Some tape under it, and some PPF in that area should prevent that from happening.

What is PPF if you dont mind me asking?

Old 10-25-2017, 06:12 PM
Paint Protection Film.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.