Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

WTF is going on here???? Paint issue

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-23-2017, 07:06 PM
anton28 will become famous soon enough
WTF is going on here???? Paint issue

I just noticed the bellow issues on both of my front fenders on my 2009 DBS. Have you guys seen anything like this? How does this happen?

A little history on the car. I bought it with 3,500 miles and the driver side front fender had a stress crack by the headlight. Insurance replaced the fender and blended the hood and door. This was about two years ago.

Im contacting the bodyshop about it tomorow. But too see this on both the fenders makes me wonder if its something else other then the bodyshops fault.

Let me know your thouhts.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6584.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	2.08 MB
ID:	514772   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6585.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	1.90 MB
ID:	514773   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6588.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	1.71 MB
ID:	514774   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6589.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	2.61 MB
ID:	514775   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6590.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	2.96 MB
ID:	514776  

Old 10-23-2017, 08:25 PM
V12Vin is on a distinguished road
Looks like when they installed the side grill, they scrapped the paint a bit. Did the bodyshop work on it before or after you acquired the car?

Old 10-23-2017, 08:37 PM
Originally Posted by V8Vin
Looks like when they installed the side grill, they scrapped the paint a bit. Did the bodyshop work on it before or after you acquired the car?
It kind of looks like that but i dont know how it could be. The repair was done about two years ago after I got the car. Im super **** so i made sure the car came out perfect. This is definitely somehting recent that just occured over the past couple of months.

Last edited by anton28; 10-23-2017 at 08:49 PM.
Old 10-23-2017, 08:44 PM
V12Vin is on a distinguished road
Are the grills loose? Maybe the paint in that area is thicker and over time, the grills rub off the paint. It looks like up/down scrapping.

Old 10-23-2017, 09:25 PM
Graze is a name known to allGraze is a name known to allGraze is a name known to allGraze is a name known to allGraze is a name known to allGraze is a name known to all
Is it near the front splitter? Could it be from hitting something you drove over causing the panels to move against each other?

Graze

Old 10-23-2017, 09:57 PM
Originally Posted by V8Vin
Are the grills loose? Maybe the paint in that area is thicker and over time, the grills rub off the paint. It looks like up/down scrapping.
They dont move at all. Very tight.

Old 10-23-2017, 10:01 PM
Originally Posted by Graze
Is it near the front splitter? Could it be from hitting something you drove over causing the panels to move against each other
Graze
No these are on the front fender closer to the front doors.

Old 10-24-2017, 04:56 AM
handyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond repute
if they are like the V8 vantage they have 2 way tape behind them so that they don't move and also keep them 1mm away from the paint, maybe they tighten the nuts too much on the back side.

Old 10-24-2017, 05:02 AM
MRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond repute
Looks like they didn't let the paint cure properly before installing the side grills and the edge dug into the paint during the curing process... now small vibrations or movement is causing the bubbling paint... only solution is to respray the panel...i wouldn't try to blend light metallic

Old 10-24-2017, 09:09 AM
SheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to all
Guys-----the paint work was done 2x years AGO!!!!! This is new fresh damage to the paint by the vent strakes. On top of that its both sides of the car shown in pictures, and ONLY one side was painted. Doesn't anyone comprehend what they read any more??????????

The marks as mentioned definitely look like an up and down scrape, possibly the strake moving did it. However, that would likely mean there would be a much larger area scraped if so. So that cannot be it.

Can you get us some better pictures? Definitely looks like paint peeling due to some sort of movement pressure of the strake. The shadows in the pictures prevent an analysis of someone trying to pry them off at those spots, one pic looks like it could have been that. But the other side appears to be just folded up paint from a pressure slide. This is definitely ODD and worrisome due to not being able to figure it out.

1. Better pictures showing the damage without shadows behind the paint folds
2. Double make sure and let us know if the strake can SLIDE at all in any direction
3. See if there are pry markings; someone may have tried that to steal them for some reason
4. List where you car has been left alone in public or at a dealer back to when you know the paint was perfect. I think you said this had to of occurred in the past 2x months.

All the above is needed to help analyze this with you. If the strakes are dead solid with no movement then a pressure slide to fold up the paint is not the cause. If it is loose at all then there is your answer, but a person would still likely have to push/pull to get that to happen. I do not think the torque of the car or road conditions would affect that. I have not had mine off, but I am assuming the strakes are attached to the panel only. So even if the panel flexed or moved the strake would only move with it.

Hope this helps,

Old 10-24-2017, 10:06 AM
Originally Posted by SheriffDep
Guys-----the paint work was done 2x years AGO!!!!! This is new fresh damage to the paint by the vent strakes. On top of that its both sides of the car shown in pictures, and ONLY one side was painted. Doesn't anyone comprehend what they read any more??????????

The marks as mentioned definitely look like an up and down scrape, possibly the strake moving did it. However, that would likely mean there would be a much larger area scraped if so. So that cannot be it.

Can you get us some better pictures? Definitely looks like paint peeling due to some sort of movement pressure of the strake. The shadows in the pictures prevent an analysis of someone trying to pry them off at those spots, one pic looks like it could have been that. But the other side appears to be just folded up paint from a pressure slide. This is definitely ODD and worrisome due to not being able to figure it out.

1. Better pictures showing the damage without shadows behind the paint folds
2. Double make sure and let us know if the strake can SLIDE at all in any direction
3. See if there are pry markings; someone may have tried that to steal them for some reason
4. List where you car has been left alone in public or at a dealer back to when you know the paint was perfect. I think you said this had to of occurred in the past 2x months.

All the above is needed to help analyze this with you. If the strakes are dead solid with no movement then a pressure slide to fold up the paint is not the cause. If it is loose at all then there is your answer, but a person would still likely have to push/pull to get that to happen. I do not think the torque of the car or road conditions would affect that. I have not had mine off, but I am assuming the strakes are attached to the panel only. So even if the panel flexed or moved the strake would only move with it.

Hope this helps,

SheriffDep you nailed it right on the head. I will pull the car out and take some better and more detailed pictures and post them along with the responses to your questions.

Old 10-24-2017, 11:08 AM
HabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to all
I've got that on my passenger side but it's on the front side in the vent and not on the outside flat of the panel. I haven't touched it for fear of what might happen except to see that it felt tight but something caused my strake to scrape the paint.

Old 10-24-2017, 01:07 PM
Originally Posted by HabitualOffender
I've got that on my passenger side but it's on the front side in the vent and not on the outside flat of the panel. I haven't touched it for fear of what might happen except to see that it felt tight but something caused my strake to scrape the paint.
Interesting. I knew I wasn't going to be the only one with this issue. Let's see if anyone else comes forward.

Old 10-24-2017, 01:22 PM
Ok, guys please find the better picture below.

1. Strakes do no move at all. I even put some decent pressure on them. They are fixed pretty well. I cant move them in any direction.

2. The car doesn't get out much and if it does, it's behind or in front of my office. The community I live in is "postcard" type. Super safe.

What baffles me is that these parts are secured to the fender so even if there is body flex, they wouldn't move. Whats causing them to move around and create this damage???

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6597.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	2.00 MB
ID:	514825   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6598.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	1.78 MB
ID:	514826   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6599.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	2.30 MB
ID:	514827   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6600.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	1.56 MB
ID:	514828   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6601.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	2.07 MB
ID:	514829  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6602.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	2.20 MB
ID:	514830   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6603.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	2.11 MB
ID:	514831   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6604.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	2.02 MB
ID:	514832   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6605.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	1.76 MB
ID:	514833   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6606.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	2.19 MB
ID:	514834  

Old 10-24-2017, 01:25 PM
brightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond repute
Could it be a poor paint job that finally gave the ghost? Paint was not adhered in that area for whatever reason?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.