Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Bluetooth Issues

Old 10-28-2017, 05:16 PM
mjanis will become famous soon enough
Bluetooth Issues

I have had my 2007 DB9 Volante for probably 6 weeks now and I have been steadily going through my to do list.

I put on Hood Struts yesterday. Thank you Redpants.

I programmed Homelink to work with my garage door opener. Thank you to this forum.

Now I am trying to figure out Bluetooth and the Voice Recognition system.

When I push the Talk/Phone button on the steering wheel, it gives my the setup prompt. When I ask it to do anything, except Prompts On/Off it does not recognize my voice. I was able to turn Prompts On, but it doesn't respond to Pair Phone, List Phones, etc.

Then I discovered that if I simply hold in the Talk/Phone button for a longer time, the system goes into pairing mode and tells me to put my phone in scan mode and when prompted to enter 1234 to complete pairing.

So I am using a fairly new Motorola Droid Android phone. I go into the phone Bluetooth application which goes into search mode and comes back and tells me that there are no nearby Bluetooth devices.

Now my understanding is the Bluetooth is backward compatible, so my Droid phone should be able to talk to the DB9's Bluetooth, so that should not be a problem.

On the DB9 I can see that the little blue light for Bluetooth is illuminated.

So now I am frustrated and looking for suggestions to try and troubleshoot the system. I am not sure where to start.

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Mark

Old 10-28-2017, 06:39 PM
J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !
If your phone isn't seeing any Bluetooth device then I would say you have a faulty Bluetooth module. With the blue light coming on in the center that should mean it's connected and powered. Have you tried delete/remove all phones? Just in case it's full from previous users.

Old 10-28-2017, 07:20 PM
I tried getting the voice response system to Remove all Phones, but it would not recognize the command. Maybe I need to use a British accent. So I tried but was unsuccessful.

I too think that it is probably not broadcasting a Bluetooth signal and it could be a bad module, bad antenna, needs resetting, or?

Is Bluetooth functionality a separate component or is it part of the audio system?

The car is equipped with the Linn 950W system and the rest of the system seems to be working fine. At least for now.

All ideas welcome.

Mark

Last edited by mjanis; 10-28-2017 at 07:22 PM.
Old 10-28-2017, 08:06 PM
J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !
It's a stand alone system that does connect to audio. Module is under dash at left side (blue box) that says Motorola. You could try a disconnect reset.

Old 10-28-2017, 09:31 PM
Great. I will definitely give it a try. Thanks for the info.

Old 10-31-2017, 03:55 PM
Ok. here is the update. Now I know why AM Techs get paid the BIG Bucks! Just lay on your back under the steering wheel with your head up against the brake pedal and try to get your arms up over your head. HAHAHA easy right?

Here is the Bluetooth unit.

Wire bundle to Bluetooth

Wire bundle Connector

So Bluetooth is now working correctly. Although I must admit getting voice recognition to work properly I used my best John Cleese Falsetto Impersonation to get it to recognize Pair Phone. My Chicago accent just wasn't cutting it

I included the pictures of the Bluetooth unit and wiring loom for any that are interested in the future.

There are several used units on eBay for around $275-300 if anyone needs one, fortunately this time around I did not.

Thanks again for all your help and advice.
Mark

Old 10-31-2017, 04:23 PM
SheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to all
Originally Posted by mjanis
I tried getting the voice response system to Remove all Phones, but it would not recognize the command. Maybe I need to use a British accent. So I tried but was unsuccessful.

All ideas welcome.

Mark
Thanks for sharing this Mark. Post some pics of the car up sometime. I looks beautiful in your avatar pic spot.

PS..... If the car is a California car it most likely only speaks Liberal; hence you not getting it to work with your Chicago accent

Old 10-31-2017, 06:21 PM
You can change it to American English, it may or may not help. I believe it shows in the owners book. Key off for 15 seconds depress phone volume down on rocker switch at left side of steering wheel keep depressed and turn ignition key to on. Follow the voice prompt to toggle thru to desired setting. Turn off and wait for the blue light to fade out.

Old 11-01-2017, 06:06 PM
Originally Posted by J doubleU
You can change it to American English, it may or may not help. I believe it shows in the owners book. Key off for 15 seconds depress phone volume down on rocker switch at left side of steering wheel keep depressed and turn ignition key to on. Follow the voice prompt to toggle thru to desired setting. Turn off and wait for the blue light to fade out.
That particular feature does not seem to be available on my car. There is nothing in the Owner's Manual regarding setting up a language.

When I depress the volume down button and turn on the key and wait and wait and wait some more, nothing happens. I release the volume down button, still nothing. Tried multiple times. Same result. Hoped that might have helped.

Old 11-01-2017, 06:27 PM
Originally Posted by SheriffDep
Thanks for sharing this Mark. Post some pics of the car up sometime. I looks beautiful in your avatar pic spot.

Old 11-01-2017, 07:33 PM
spinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to behold
That is a gorgeous car...

Old 11-01-2017, 07:39 PM
It's the END button to depress. Then the rocker switch is used for scrolling. It is in the owners guide.

Old 11-01-2017, 08:19 PM
It's the END button to depress. Then the rocker switch is used for scrolling. It is in the owners guide.
THANK YOU!

First I discovered the END button, I was unaware of it on the backside of the steering wheel. It is hidden from sight much like the Cruise Control On button.

I did as you suggested and held in the end button, and found American English, locked it in and now it recognizes my voice easily.

Works much better than my Monty Python impersonation .

I guess its time for me to log into AM TechInfo and download all the manuals. I didn't have an Owners Guide, only the Manual that came with the car.

Thanks again, your responses helped.

Mark

Old 11-01-2017, 10:05 PM
There is an APP for iPhone and Android for free for download of the official AM owners book.

Old 11-01-2017, 11:50 PM
There is an APP for iPhone and Android for free for download of the official AM owners book.
Very Cool. Just downloaded the Android Version from the Google Play Store , input the last 6 digits of my VIN and downloaded the complete manual to my phone. And yes it does explain how to get to the Bluetooth language menu.

Thanks again.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.