Notices
Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

B is for Bond

Old 12-19-2017, 07:48 AM
Zettinger is just really niceZettinger is just really niceZettinger is just really niceZettinger is just really niceZettinger is just really nice
B is for Bond

Didn't see a thread about this yet.
I watched the initial video a while ago but the build went dead for a while.

Now he is going all in, Rich seems have provided his broken parts for the build.

Initial video ~8 month ago, I got a bit scared when we was planing to put a J2Z in the Vantage.

Damage report:

Now a Month ago, he started working on it:

Last edited by Zettinger; 01-02-2018 at 07:25 AM.
Old 12-19-2017, 10:15 AM
blue2000s has a spectacular aura aboutblue2000s has a spectacular aura aboutblue2000s has a spectacular aura about
I love to watch Chris' show. But the way he goes about fabricating replacements for broken parts makes me cringe. The stuff going on under that Evora is frightening. The cheap fender flares and ridiculous wing are going to be hard to watch on this car.

Old 12-19-2017, 10:15 AM
skywagon is a jewel in the roughskywagon is a jewel in the roughskywagon is a jewel in the rough
I was hoping that would not show up here. I feel most in this group think significantly higher of their cars and the brand to not do these kind of things. I have known of that "builder" since he rebuilt a salvage title Lotus Evora. This Aston is already showing signs of the rest of his "builds" with the questionable workmanship. I cringe at some of his statements such as the door mirrors are impossible to remove. He did not even remove the emblems, tail lights, side vents, etc. before he painted. All I look at is this car is a salvage title one that would have most likely been broken down for parts otherwise. Even the comments on his videos show a similar sentiment.

Old 12-19-2017, 02:49 PM
brightoncorgi has much to be proud ofbrightoncorgi has much to be proud ofbrightoncorgi has much to be proud ofbrightoncorgi has much to be proud ofbrightoncorgi has much to be proud ofbrightoncorgi has much to be proud ofbrightoncorgi has much to be proud ofbrightoncorgi has much to be proud ofbrightoncorgi has much to be proud ofbrightoncorgi has much to be proud of
Owned an Evora when they were working on that and own the Vantage when they are working on it... What are the odds?

Old 12-20-2017, 11:36 AM
Mathman85 is a jewel in the roughMathman85 is a jewel in the roughMathman85 is a jewel in the roughMathman85 is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by blue2000s View Post
The cheap fender flares and ridiculous wing are going to be hard to watch on this car.
He scrapped the idea for those hideous flares, thankfully.

Old 12-20-2017, 11:40 AM
randyb will become famous soon enoughrandyb will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by brightoncorgi View Post
Owned an Evora when they were working on that and own the Vantage when they are working on it... What are the odds?
Me too!!
Except I have a DB9.

Old 12-20-2017, 11:52 AM
randyb will become famous soon enoughrandyb will become famous soon enough
Oh and B is for bondo!

Old 12-20-2017, 01:14 PM
Zettinger is just really niceZettinger is just really niceZettinger is just really niceZettinger is just really niceZettinger is just really nice
Added Part 11.

The wing is brutal ugly but I'm glad he scraped the cheap flares.

Old 12-20-2017, 01:18 PM
blue2000s has a spectacular aura aboutblue2000s has a spectacular aura aboutblue2000s has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Mathman85 View Post
He scrapped the idea for those hideous flares, thankfully.
I missed that, I thought he was still going to add them but after his trip to CA. He still has those ridiculous aluminum side skirts to ensure that no matter how expensive, the car will at least LOOK cheap.

Old 12-22-2017, 08:04 AM
Basic Sponsor
Redpants has a reputation beyond reputeRedpants has a reputation beyond reputeRedpants has a reputation beyond reputeRedpants has a reputation beyond reputeRedpants has a reputation beyond reputeRedpants has a reputation beyond reputeRedpants has a reputation beyond reputeRedpants has a reputation beyond reputeRedpants has a reputation beyond reputeRedpants has a reputation beyond reputeRedpants has a reputation beyond repute
He reached out to me very early in the project and I still get the occasional message from him. I offered to be more involved to help him out, but he's doing pretty much all of it on his own because the main point of it is the experience of the build, not getting a perfect (or even good) build quality for the end result. It's just a project car, and he's making it up as he goes. It's interesting to see how he approaches each of the problems that he runs into, but every once in a while he comes across something that he could have saved himself a lot of trouble with had he just asked. Still, it makes for light-hearted videos with a relaxed and inexpensive approach to building a generally very expensive car.

I'm glad he scaled things back a bit, especially ditching the super cheap fender flares. The fitment of the new wheels in episode 12 made me cringe. (Shameless plug: if anyone likes the overall style of the ones on his car, the BC Forged RT50 with concave spokes will be similar.... and will actually fit right.)

Although it's surely putting off a lot of Aston owners, remember it's a salvaged car being rebuilt for fun with broken/repaired or hand-made parts. It's an interesting project with a car that is basically worthless, so it's not like he's ruining a pristine Vantage. He's going to run into a few more serious problems in the near future, though.... call it a hunch.

[email protected]
Old 12-22-2017, 11:08 AM
Added episode 12 to OP.

Somehow it seems the Evora build was better quality.
He build a paint cabin with the Evora, the Aston gets just painted in the shop and doesn't even remove badge, tails etc.

I love to see that someone can do all this in his garage and his dedication is great.

Old 12-22-2017, 01:51 PM
Originally Posted by Zettinger View Post
Added episode 12 to OP.

Somehow it seems the Evora build was better quality.
He build a paint cabin with the Evora, the Aston gets just painted in the shop and doesn't even remove badge, tails etc.

I love to see that someone can do all this in his garage and his dedication is great.
I don't know, the reconstruction of the front of the Evora was just about the same level of quality as this Aston. The body work on that car was much more extensive though.

Old 12-26-2017, 10:55 AM
Mathman85 is a jewel in the roughMathman85 is a jewel in the roughMathman85 is a jewel in the roughMathman85 is a jewel in the rough
It's done, and I definitely don't hate it. As someone who's a sucker for the GTE cars, I appreciate the aggressive aero and the fact that, all said and done, it came in around $21k. (In fairness, though, it does need some work to get some of the panels to line up better... I cringe when I see the hood bulging up at the back, particularly on the passenger side.)

Old 12-27-2017, 08:42 AM
Updated OP with latest videos.
The hood fitment requires some improvement.

Am I wrong or did he forget to include the (wrong) windshield in his price overview?

No matter, lets say it will cost 3k more to flatten out the last issues, he has the cheapest Aston ever! Pretty cool to own but not to sell!

What is he doing with all his builds?

Old 12-27-2017, 09:54 AM
He also didn't include the cost of the wing... which I imagine was not cheap. I'm considering similar ones for my 240Z and it'll be over a grand just for the wing itself.

From what I've seen by scanning his page, he usually ends up selling them.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: B is for Bond

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.