Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

AM V8 Vantage - Bamboo dash facia crack

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-19-2018, 06:17 PM
cpaulPHL is on a distinguished road
AM V8 Vantage - Bamboo dash facia crack

Took the cover off my 2007 V8 Vantage today to go for a spin, and was disappointed to notice a crack has developed in the last month on the bamboo dash facia (see photo). The crack appears to be in the wood itself, below the finish surface. The car has been in my attached garage under the AM cover.

Has anyone else seen this before? The only thing I can think is the extreme cold we had a few weeks back (single digits Fahrenheit), but the garage is always warmer than outside. I'm concerned that if I replace ($$$) or repair that this doesn't happen again....

AM wants $1451+tax for the replacement part ... looking around I see Madera Concepts might be able to repair / refinish this. Has anyone done this with their bamboo upper dash?

Also - AM shows two different parts for my '07 V8 V with navigation, but no explanation of the difference:

4G43-045K18-CB << the dealer says this is correct for my SportShift
4G43-045K18-FB << is this for manual?

Thanks in advance!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6226.JPG
Views:	180
Size:	3.01 MB
ID:	519571  
Old 01-19-2018, 07:47 PM
zuman is a splendid one to beholdzuman is a splendid one to beholdzuman is a splendid one to beholdzuman is a splendid one to beholdzuman is a splendid one to beholdzuman is a splendid one to beholdzuman is a splendid one to beholdzuman is a splendid one to behold
I had Madera Concepts restore all of the wood in my '06 DB9 Volante. They did the wood portion of the ski slope including the nav door, and also the two door caps. I had a few cracks like yours, some small chips, and fading.
They did a spectacular job, and I'd forgotten how beautiful the wood was when new.
I think the cost - about two years ago - was about $1,000 for everything.

Old 01-20-2018, 04:35 AM
TR-Spider is on a distinguished road
I 'd say the crack may "only" be in the clearcoat, which is quite thick on the veneer panels.
If so, it should be possible to repair for a qualified paintshop or furniture restaurer for reasonable cost.

Thomas

Old 01-20-2018, 11:48 AM
David W is an unknown quantity at this point
Could this be a solution
https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=70&t=1718383

Last edited by GT3 Chuck; 01-28-2018 at 06:22 PM.
Old 01-25-2018, 06:28 PM
zuman is a splendid one to beholdzuman is a splendid one to beholdzuman is a splendid one to beholdzuman is a splendid one to beholdzuman is a splendid one to beholdzuman is a splendid one to beholdzuman is a splendid one to beholdzuman is a splendid one to behold
I went to a high-end custom furniture restorer before I sent my parts to Madera Concepts. He tried his solvents and sanding, then called me in terror and asked me to come and get my parts. Apparently Aston Martin uses a multi-part high-tech approach and it's REALLY difficult to remove the damaged finish. The restorer even had his chemicals supplier take a look at the job and he couldn't come up with a solution either.

Here's my center console after the Madera Concepts restoration and beforehand. I also wrapped the plastic part below the wood.

Old 01-25-2018, 08:00 PM
J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !
I recommend Madera to anyone, they know how to make it work.

Old 01-28-2018, 08:40 AM
cpaulPHL is on a distinguished road
Fantastic thank you all - the deck and navigation cover are on their way to Madera Concepts!