Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Extended warranty?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-19-2018, 02:20 PM
HabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to all
Kerbeck quoted $5000 for 1 year or $7500 for 2 years, which would bring the average to $3750 / year.

Old 03-19-2018, 08:43 PM
W126C will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by sonies
seems high to me, I think i was quoted 3500 (in Chicago) on my 2010 V8V

they are always negotiable, and they usually mark them up over 100% so negotiate accordingly
Just for clarification, I was quoted one additional year from Miller Motorcars and AM of Dallas on a '09 DB9 last November. When I bought the car I added an additional year for around $2,500. Buying the warranty at the time of purchasing the car just may be different than buying additional coverage down the road. Is there a difference in the cost of the warranty coverage between V8 and V12 or year of the car?

Regards,

Last edited by W126C; 03-19-2018 at 08:46 PM.
Old 03-20-2018, 06:32 AM
brightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by W126C
Just for clarification, I was quoted one additional year from Miller Motorcars and AM of Dallas on a '09 DB9 last November.
Surprised Miller Motorcars didn't quote you the national deficit as the price for a warranty. Their cars are priced to the moon and their trade in values are a slap in the face. That being said, that street where their dealerships are is automobile nirvana! Very impressive.

Old 03-20-2018, 08:15 AM
Originally Posted by brightoncorgi
Surprised Miller Motorcars
Your opinion is duly noted.

Regards,

Old 03-21-2018, 05:54 PM
V12Vin is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by W126C
Just for clarification, I was quoted one additional year from Miller Motorcars and AM of Dallas on a '09 DB9 last November. When I bought the car I added an additional year for around $2,500. Buying the warranty at the time of purchasing the car just may be different than buying additional coverage down the road. Is there a difference in the cost of the warranty coverage between V8 and V12 or year of the car?

Regards,
I was going to post that the other day. $2500 deal has to be part of buying a car. They have to baked the rest in the car.

I was told V12 costs a tad bit more. Last year I was quoted $4200 a year and $7200 for two.

Old 03-21-2018, 06:07 PM
V12Vin,

I'm sure the OP appreciates your informative input.

Regards,

Old 03-21-2018, 06:40 PM
Aldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud of
After I bought my car...I found the prior owner had a warranty through Warrant tech...I do not think it was dealer issued...

You may want to check with them to see who their agents are in your state.

Just a thought...good luck...

Old 03-22-2018, 12:27 PM
Prefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud of
Taking my V12S in tomorrow for the annual inspection to make sure it's ready for waking up from hibernation. Saw my previous V12S at the dealer which after three days of ownership from the new owner, the engine blew up and was replaced under warranty, as well as the right headlight auto-leveling fixed, the cruise control computer replaced, the left headlight LED was fixed with a kit, the passenger seat control that tells if t's occupied, that mechanism replaced, all the engine hoses replaced, and when the took the engine out they saw the clutch was no good, also replaced ALL under warranty.

This is why I'll extend the warranty on my V12S as long as possible from an Aston dealer!

Old 03-22-2018, 02:14 PM
Denny 6.53 is an unknown quantity at this point
Prefurbia, what is the model year and mileage on your trade-in? Also, someone mentioned that wear items such as brakes and clutch aren't covered.

I am waiting for my '11 V8V S to arrive front Vegas and have to make a decision on the warranty. Cleveland dealer quoted somewhere around $4800 For one year.
My new car has about 29K miles on it.

Thanks, Denny

Old 03-22-2018, 02:25 PM
Denny 6.53 is an unknown quantity at this point
Ald, I just checked Warrant tech on line. Worst reviews ever! Probably better off lighting your money on fire and save the later stress.
As much as I have mixed emotions about extended warranties, the dealer is probably your safest bet.

Old 03-22-2018, 02:55 PM
Aldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud of
Hey Denny...not me...prior owner...I do not believe in warranties on cars. I mentioned as guys are looking for warranties.

On our company trucks...vans...never buy extra.

If I owned a 100000.00 Aston Martin maybe but as I stated prior...I will strip and sell on eBay the parts off the car if my engine blows up and my fault. If the fault of a product and rejected on claim. Then my corporate lawyer and their corporate lawyer fights.

Filter problems are not new for engine failure...GM had many...

Once you get an older Aston Martin...over 6 years old the warranty does not cover the value of problems. Plus you Must have the dealer perform an inspection to get the warranty...generally around $ 600.00 then the warranty cost and whatever the going rate of the dealer...

If you buy an Aston Martin used off a dealer and can get included the warranty ...Great...

Sorry I know nothing of Warrant Tech...prior owner used and had a claim paid out by them...but both the dealer and warrant tech would not tell me any information on my car.

Good luck and enjoy your car...

Duke

Old 03-22-2018, 04:29 PM
Prefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud of
It actually was not a trade-in, but a demand to Aston Martin (Corporate in the UK) to replace my car because of the deceptive sales practice of selling tracked cars as 'timeless certified' advertising in their own website the 'pedigree' and assurance of history, where in fact the car like the one I bought was driven in extreme conditions, yet I was given a letter by an upper level executive at the factory stating that the car was driven 'normally' during it's 22,000 miles as a 'testing vehicle'. They could not provide a single document as to its history. When I found out it had to be repainted, the carbon brakes replaced, the wheels replaced, and at least a dozen things wrong which should have been discovered had it really been inspected - I had enough and demanded a replacement, which I gotta say they did and replaced it with a similar optioned V12S with 1/3rd the mileage, a one owner locally owned V12S. Out of pocket was attorneys fees, and at least a month of sleepless nights. They sold it (at a very reasonable price) to a local person who knew it's history and paid accordingly, now that person has pretty much a new car with only the transaxle not replaced (yet) - so everyone is happy. But buyer beware on certified timeless, and it means nothing if it was Aston Martin previously owned because it could have been in an accident, fixed by Aston and NOT reported for a CarFax. Such a car which has a clean carfax but was in an accident is the used timeless certified 2017 While V12S at Napleton - I know because I demanded that one on a trade and they told me I did not want that one because of it's accident history. Again, buyer beware. Napleton sold me the previous V12S knowing it's history without disclosing it! This is not to say a privately V12S would not be totally abused, and quite frankly and car of this type could be. This is why I'll always have the comfort of a warranty. In the early days I had Lagondas (3 of them over a 15 year span), of course non had any warranty. I did not drive them much because there would be about a 50% chance something would not be right - most often something I could live with bot on occasion something hideously expensive to fix. With a warranty I have no such fear.

Old 03-22-2018, 05:40 PM
Hi Prefurbia...I enjoyed the Lagonda threat....but you must be fair here. Lagondas were the top car and savior of Aston Martin when they bought the company by Brown...but they were well known in England but in the USA....just another high end car.

They stopped production in 1990 after making only around 600 cars worldwide. Yes...all kinds of electrical etc...problems.

I understand your problems and make me believe buying an Aston Martin from an actual dealer is not a sure thing or hope of having bought a great car. You were taken advantage of by Aston Martin and the dealer it appears.

But once again...if you did not get a lawyer involved the loss would have been all yours. Shame it had to happen. Aston Martin is no different from any other company and your loss to them was covered by their unbrella insurance policy once they realized they could not win.

Most of the guys I see posting are buying cars 6-8 years old or older....to me what is a warranty going to help them. Yes...one member had a bad filter or so he was told...maybe the ECU flash disabled safety features to protect his engine...none of us will never know. So now...the rush to protect yourself begins...

Some cars are just not worth spending 5-7 percent of the cost for a warranty that does not cover the clutch...interior leather...etc...I feel.

If you have a newer model car...5-6 years tops and the car is worth $ 100000.00 or more maybe if you feel needed.

I bought a car with 27000 miles on it put over 8000 miles on it in one year...every thing I did on fuild changes etc...would not be covered under warranty and cost me more at a dealer...in fact I asked a dealer first and was told these services were not required and wanted to sell me less...I am glad I used Steel Wings instead.

Last weekend I put on rotors and brakes also not covered....I am not sure where the warranty would have helped...

I have a 09 Vantage V8V...Aston Martin offers 15 year warranties in England I believe...here it is 10 year with each year over 5 the coverage covers less if I remember correctly...

While I am happy for you and like your Lagondas I still do not believe in a car warranty for me...

Stay safe...

​​​​​

Old 03-22-2018, 06:27 PM
I also had a 2009 Vantage - great car. When I bought it, for an extra $5K I extended the warranty 2 years. Then the next round of 2 years would have been $7,000. Because of the reduced value, I instead traded it on an almost new 2015 Vantage GT, figuring the 43,000 mile 2009 was about due for a clutch and new brakes, and the total trade difference was $20K, so $6K for a new clutch, $2K for brakes (maybe) and $7K to extend the warranty, it made sense to trade in for a car with 2 1/2 years left on warranty. I was right about the clutch, that second owner spent to replace it. About 2 1/2 years later as the warranty was up, I would have spent another $5K for two more years. I found this 'timeless certified" V12S at Napleton with 22,000 miles and traded my 2015 GT with 10,000 miles on it for $25,000 difference, with 2 years under warranty, delivered to Minneapolis. Figuring I did not have the $5K warranty to spend to extend the GT, to me I upgraded to the V12S for essentially $20K. Now I have 1 1/2 years left of warranty. The Lagondas were built when Aston had no money and engineering was seat of the pants testing, and certainly no budget to bring an electronically laden car to market. By 1988, when the bugs were worked out mostly the reputation destroyed the values until recently. The power train was very reliable - everything else questionable. One last thing - the Aston regional rep did not know I hired a lawyer, and they came and did the right thing to upgrade me by themselves. I hired a lawyer just in case, and that cost over $1,000. The point is while I felt deceived while being a loyal Aston customer for 3 decades and really became upset and dwelled on it in an unhealthy way, I do have to say, they did right by me. I saw the check they wrote to Morries to do the trade (up) and it was $31,000. The first time they met my lawyer was when we sat down to discuss the transaction - which they offered before meeting with my lawyer. I feel they did the right thing, but it still irritates me that the practice of passing off questionable history cars as timeless certified is upsetting, befitting maybe Yugo, not Aston Martin. They also never acknowledged that a tracked car had more wear and tear than a carefully driven street car. They kept reiterating the car had only 22,000 miles. I kept arguing it showed 22,000 on the odometer, but had more like 100,000 miles maybe of actual wear and tear. The fact is that the engine blowing up, the clutch needing replacement (this might not have been the original clutch) , the carbon brakes replaced, and needing a fresh paint job I think proves my point. I asked Aston to respect my opinion and stop treating me as if I was some idiot.
Would I buy a warranty if I bought an older Aston for relatively little $$$ - probably just one year just in case. Then when the year was up and I was comfortable with the car take the money instead for some mods that would void the warranty anyway. On my V12S I'd like to do some mods but can't because of the warranty. So to avoid problems I've bronzed the grill, will install wheel spacers next week, and might do those fancy tail lights next winter.

Old 03-22-2018, 06:50 PM
Wow...you are a true Aston Martin guy!
I better understand and if I were in your shoes. I would be lying to say I would not have a warranty.

I am still concerned how this car was sold...that car was driven like it was stolen and sold like a person babied it...

Again...I looked at a warranty with this being my first Aston Martin. Still at the price I paid it did not make sense. My ace is my son...he loves cars and likes the fact Ford made this car serviceable for handy guys.

Aston should offer like you stated a one year warranty for new buyers but cheap...this would ease the pressure of ownership while you are learning the car.

Good luck with your present car...mmm V12...nice
​​​​

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Extended warranty?